Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal

Recently bought a 98 z28 that was sitting for a few years, and am looking to tackle a few issues with the suspension/brakes it has going on. Today I'll be able to get under the car and take a close look at what is going on and will update the thread with findings.

Basically anytime the suspension travels in the rear it creaks. So getting in the car, driving slow in a parking lot, speed bumps, you name it. It's a very annoying noise that is only not noticeable when road noise increases, etc. From research on the site the culprit is most likely shot or dried up bushings on various parts.

The OTHER issue with the car is a rotational squeal that seems to increase in severity when turning the steering wheel but also does it going straight and is most audible under 40mph. The sound does not change in tone or frequency or stop when brakes are applied. This seems like it could be any number of issues from wheel bearing, to pads touching rotor, to hub, etc.

Will update thread when I can.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What aftermarket rear suspension parts do you have on the car? Maybe we can help get you going in the right direction with the noises you are having.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
What aftermarket rear suspension parts do you have on the car? Maybe we can help get you going in the right direction with the noises you are having.
It's all factory. The noise seems to be pinpointed to the rear lower control arm bushings. Greased them up to temporarily stop the noise, but they need replacing. Any suggestions? From what I read the labor in replacing the bushings themselves may not be worth the hassle for the price of aftermarket pieces. I'm just looking to resolve the issue.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket pieces with urethane bushings require grease, or they will squeak, too.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
It's all factory. The noise seems to be pinpointed to the rear lower control arm bushings. Greased them up to temporarily stop the noise, but they need replacing. Any suggestions? From what I read the labor in replacing the bushings themselves may not be worth the hassle for the price of aftermarket pieces. I'm just looking to resolve the issue.
For a car like yours I would recommend our BMR non-adjustable lower control arms with either the polyurethane bushings or the rubber bushing upgrade. You are definitely going to be better off just replacing the both arms rather than bushings plus you gain some performance by going with a better lower control arm. If you got the arms with the polyurethane bushings they would need to be greased using the zerk fittings in the arms once a year or so and they will be nice and quiet. If you don't want to have to worry about greasing the arms I would go with our arms with the rubber bushing upgrade.

Either way give us a call and we would be more than happy to help you out.

Here are a couple pics for you:
Attached Thumbnails Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal-lca-rubber-bushings3.jpg   Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal-untitled-4_small.jpg   Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal-tca001r.jpg  

Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Went ahead and ordered the BMR non-adjustable arms with poly bushings. Will also be installing an eibach front and rear sway bar kit with these as well. This should eliminate a lot of the noise. Get this old suspension outta here!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Went ahead and ordered the BMR non-adjustable arms with poly bushings. Will also be installing an eibach front and rear sway bar kit with these as well. This should eliminate a lot of the noise. Get this old suspension outta here!
You will definitely enjoy the new upgrades!

Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

So the wheel bearings appear to be fine, but the rotors are warped. Apparently the previous owner threw new pads on top of warped rotors, nice. We think that the grooves in the rotors are contacting the edge of the pads and making the squeal. So, we will put some new rotors on there and see what happens when I install the new lca's and sway bars.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

So the wheel bearings appear to be fine, but the rotors are warped. Apparently the previous owner threw new pads on top of warped rotors, nice. We think that the grooves in the rotors are contacting the edge of the pads and making the squeal. So, we will put some new rotors on there and see what happens when I install the new lca's and sway bars.
Just want to update this thread with the solutions to these problems I had for anyone who searches this topic later on.

To fix the constant creaking from the rear suspension I installed BMR non-adjustable LCAs, as well as a Eibach front and rear sway bar kit with new bushings. No more creaking of any kind just nice and quiet now.

To fix the brake squeal I had and that would continue even when not on the brakes I did the following: Inspected wheel bearings and determined they were in good working order. I put on new rotors, pads, and thoroughly clean the caliper pins which were rusted out and causing the caliper to stick. No more brake squeal, just nice and quiet.

Oh, and the car handles a lot better now.

Last edited by Rob98LS1; 07-22-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:19 AM
12 Second Club

For those who are interested in installing new lcas or sway bars with polyurethane. I had terrible creaking in the rear suspension after the car had sat for some time. I installed new BMR lca's with poly bushings and new eibach sway bars with poly bushings. I have periodically checked to make sure the bushings are adequately greased but the car is nothing but super quiet with these changes over the old factory units. I highly recommend these products.

Quick Reply: Creaking rear suspension and rotational squeal