Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket front sway bar + stock rear sway bar = ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket front sway bar + stock rear sway bar = ?

I have a pretty substantial engine build and minor suspension overhaul going on. The LT1 should make 520-535 HP and would like a good all round car for occasional track day. I have adjustable Koni's, BMR springs, all BMR rear suspension and subframe connectors and a STOCK rear sway bar.

I removed the front sway bar many years ago when I was more into drag racing and now can't find it in my shop. What I would like to know is, how will this car handle with an aftermarket sway bar in the front and stock bar in the rear? (Trying the stop the bleeding of money really because I've gone way overboard in other areas). Also if you were to purchase just a front bar, what brand and diameter? Or should I bite the bullet and buy front and rear bars?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larger front bar, in relation to rear, will increase understeer.

You could always track down someone parting out a Camaro/firebird on craigslist or something and pick up a stock front bar. Saves money compared to a pricey aftermarket bar.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...that's the answer I was looking for
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We sell the classic combination of 35mm/22mm. It balances nicely in most cases and like Wheelman said, staying with a 19mm out back would tend to increase understeer.

This understeer would most likely show itself when cornering at 95% of the limit. Since bars are easy to change, you could use a quality front bar like the UMI 2112 and keep the factory rear.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=290

Then if it pushes and you need to improve the balance, go for the 22mm.

There are other factors that come into play like spring rates and tire sizes so careful testing is the best plan.

ramey
Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 32/19 stock bar sets on LS1 98-02 SS and WS6 is a great bar combo, essentially the "1LE" setup.

I ran it for 2 years and liked it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket front sway bar + stock rear sway bar = ?