Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new shocks.... so many choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new shocks.... so many choices

ok i hit up the search feature and there are sooooo many choices. Figured i would get an up to date answer.

Looking for shocks for a 2000 trans am. Will see some track time. 3500 stall... want something thats going to do nice street and strip. Like everyone else im limited on funds, but in need of them. If the price is right i might be able to wing a full front and rear set.

Thanks as always!!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The best bang for the buck is the Viking double adjustable setup. These are a nice quality USA made shock and spring, comes with external 19 position valving, and a 2 year warranty. We can get you into 4 shocks and front springs for around the 900.00 mark.

Lowest cost option is the Strange singles. 10 position valving, also USA made. 4 shocks and front springs will usually run in the 780.00 range.

We have had great success with both of them and great reports from customers with performance gains. MWC is the leader in shock setups for street/strip cars and we have the experience and tech help to get you setup right the first time. We also guarantee the lowest cost on similar items... if you find a better deal we will beat it. Give us a call!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spec_j
ok i hit up the search feature and there are sooooo many choices. Figured i would get an up to date answer.

Looking for shocks for a 2000 trans am. Will see some track time. 3500 stall... want something thats going to do nice street and strip. Like everyone else im limited on funds, but in need of them. If the price is right i might be able to wing a full front and rear set.

Thanks as always!!
What is your budget for the shocks? Your budget is really going to be the biggest determining factor in what parts you end up with. I am going to assume that you want to be on the cheaper side and the setup I really like to use for that is the Strange single adjustable all the way around along with the Hyperco front coil-over springs. This setup isn't too crazy expensive and it proven combination that works very well. If you need something that is even a little bit more budget oriented you can run the Strange single adjustable front shocks with the Hyperco front coil-over springs and the Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable rear shocks. This setup is very budget oriented and is also a good performing setup.

If there is anything that we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i checked out the fronts and they are still good. Im going to go with just rear shocks at the moment. Trying to get the rear covered for around $200-300 if thats possible. whats the part number for the Competition Engineering shocks. Im on BMR looking... Thanks again

Last edited by spec_j; 07-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Subscribed. I'm going to need to do this at some point too, so in for others running any of the above mentioned setups.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Subscribed. I'm going to need to do this at some point too, so in for others running any of the above mentioned setups.
i checked out the fronts and they are still good. Im going to go with just rear shocks at the moment. Trying to get the rear covered for around $200-300 if thats possible. whats the part number for the Competition Engineering shocks. Im on BMR looking... Thanks again
Be careful of the 40.00 shock. There was a thread here not too long ago with someone talking about the waste of money and time fighting that setup, but some people think they are ok too.

The lowest cost and best value in a rear external adjustable racing style shock is the Strange singles... cost is about 300.00 for the pair of rears. These are 10 position valving.

The next best thing is the Viking doubles... comes with 19 position valving, and a 2 year warranty. Cost is well under 400.00

Give us a call and we will be more than happy to work with you on the best shocks for your needs and budget. We guarantee the lowest price and best tech help available!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

QA1 or strange?? opinions?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Strange hands down. Higher quality, same or lower cost as well!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Definitely do the Strange rear shocks if you can because they are definitely the best "cheap" option and are better than the Competition Engineering shocks. They will run you right around $300 shipped to your door. I really only recommend the Competition Engineering rear drag shock for people on a super tight budget and with were you want to be at budget-wise it sounds like the Strange shocks are your best option.

The Competition Engineering shocks are very cheap shock and many will talk bad about them just because of their price or because they don't have any experience with them but they work. I know that you know of Gator's T/A up here in Tampa, he used to use Strange single adjustable shocks up front and Competition Engineering shocks out back and we cut mid 1.3 60ft time consistently. I also have two other guys in the Tampa area with them that cut low 1.4 60ft times regularly.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i ran Bilistiens for the longest time hitting 1.5's on the back tires. Figured i would get something to get me by for a year till i can go better. Yeah his car hits the tires hard too. Thanks again Kyle!!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

i ran Bilistiens for the longest time hitting 1.5's on the back tires. Figured i would get something to get me by for a year till i can go better. Yeah his car hits the tires hard too. Thanks again Kyle!!
No problem, if there is anything else I can help you out with just let me know.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car club toured QA1 shocks facility in minnesota and i was impressed at the quality. they may be more expensive but thats what im putting on my car when i upgrade. cheers!

Quick Reply: new shocks.... so many choices