Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to make camaro's suspension STIFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make camaro's suspension STIFF

I know absolutely nothing about suspensions and upgrading them. I have an 02 Z28 camaro that I am wanting to get the suspension very stiff and totally eliminate body roll. I want to totally feel the road. I just upgraded from a 93 v6 firebird and now that I am in a v8 car, the front end is way more heavy, and when corning I can feel this, is there anyway to combat this? Where should I start. And I do not care about ride comfort.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z/20atefords
I know absolutely nothing about suspensions and upgrading them. I have an 02 Z28 camaro that I am wanting to get the suspension very stiff and totally eliminate body roll. I want to totally feel the road. I just upgraded from a 93 v6 firebird and now that I am in a v8 car, the front end is way more heavy, and when corning I can feel this, is there anyway to combat this? Where should I start. And I do not care about ride comfort.

Thanks
What you are feeling is likely the sloppy stock suspension, the weight difference between the V6 car and V8 car is very little actually, these are extremely light V8s (lighter and physically smaller than most V6s on the market today).
That being said, overly stiff does NOT equal good handling. You want BALANCE.
Search for the koni/strano setup, you won't find a better off the shelf setup for handling.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Spend some time looking through threads of others suspension set ups and read what they are saying. I personally went with a bmr spring koni shock set up. The deal was to great to pass up. I did shocks/springs, lower control arms, lca relocation brackets, panhard, Strano sways, and my rack and pinion was leaking so I ended up replacing it and redoing some front suspension/steering. All this was within one month from first piece to last piece. Coupled with tires that were less than 4 months old at the time, it put to shame the original set up. It is flat around corners and I have no worries while accelerating out of corners. Almost no body roll (except me in the seat haha). But trade off is with 18/19 set up, I feel EVERYTHING on the road. Trade off. I got used to it fast and while it is definitely jarring, I love it. The girlfriend didn't like riding in it before but now I get to hear a remark every time we take my car. So we just take hers and use her gas and miles!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good shocks(Koni SAs) and a matched sway-bar set(Strano's), is all you really need. For lowering springs either Strano's or BMRs.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My set up, This is STIFF, Hard and minimum body roll. I love it !

BMR spring
KONI SA
Bolt on SFC - UMI
Strut Tower Brace- BMR
Adj up/low Aarm- LG
Adj LCA - LG
Adj PHB - LG
Battery relocation kit ( trunk) - BMR
Power Steering Pump- Turn One
Swaybar F and R - Strano
Polyurethane bushings - Energy sus
18x9.5 " wheels - Miro 111
Fron brake C5 conv - 6LE
Attached Thumbnails how to make camaro's suspension STIFF-front-suspension.jpg   how to make camaro's suspension STIFF-rear-suspension.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks
There are definitely a few parts that will really help out with that sloppy handling feeling you are having. I would recommend shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars.

When it comes to shocks there are a couple different options. The best shocks for these cars are the Koni yellow shocks which are adjustable so you can play with the shock valving. These shocks are awesome shocks but a lot of times they are a little out of people budget. If you are looking for something a little more affordable I would recommend either the Bilstein shocks or the Koni STR.T shocks. Both of these shocks are non-adjustable and aren't as good as the Koni yellow shocks but they are still a big improvement over the factory stuff. Any of these shock options will team up with our BMR lowering springs (SP001) and work well. From there the sway bars would be the next step, we offer our BMR sway kit (SB026) which includes the front and rear sway bars along with all the needed bushings and end links. These parts should take care of that body roll you are feeling and vastly improve the handling of your vehicle. Here is a link to these part in a package that we offer:

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=produ...825&superpro=0

If there is anything we can help you out with just let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All sound advice above. Upgrading the shocks, springs and sway bars will be a night and day difference from the sloppy stock suspension.

There are plenty of great choices out there, however I run Bilstein shocks, Strano springs and Strano's hollow sways. If I had to do over again, I'd pony up the cash for Koni SA shocks (just to say that I've tried the best) however I don't have anything but good things to say about the Bilsteins as a budget alternative.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i run koni sa's/strano springs/strano hollow adjustable sways/umi everything else kumho escta xs tyres. beats the s2k's at autocross lol
Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni Single Adjustables on all 4 corners, Strano springs and Strano hollow front and rear sways, good sticky tires, and you got yourself a seriously fun 4th gen!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks
Eliminating body roll isn't accomplished by simply replacing the springs with "rubber coated rocks". When you take that approach, you make the car "jumpy", because as you encounter a bump with one side of the car, the suspension doesn't compress enough, so the bump is transmitted to the other corners of the car, tossing it all over.

You need some sort of compliance in the suspension to allow for this, and the best way to control body roll is with moderately stiff springs, good shock absorber control, and BEEFY sway bars. The super stiff suspension will beat the crap out of your car, as well as beating the crap out of you. Moderation is your friend...
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Midnight02
All sound advice above. Upgrading the shocks, springs and sway bars will be a night and day difference from the sloppy stock suspension.

There are plenty of great choices out there, however I run Bilstein shocks, Strano springs and Strano's hollow sways. If I had to do over again, I'd pony up the cash for Koni SA shocks (just to say that I've tried the best) however I don't have anything but good things to say about the Bilsteins as a budget alternative.
Agreed.

I have the same setup minus the sway bars (32/19 stock on the SS with poly bushings/end links). Everyone that rides in the car can't believe how flat it stays in the turns and how well it handles. It's a blast to drive with how little I have invested in the suspension.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really do get what you pay for with springs and shocks. I went from an Eibach Pro-Kit with KYB adjustables up front and crap KYB white shocks out back to Strano springs with Koni single adjustables. Night and day difference. The car is MUCH more stable, stays flatter in the corners, and is much more fun to drive. Just this afternoon I pissed off a guy in a Porsche Carrera 4S in the twisties. It would have been nicer if I had better bars and maybe better tires on it, but it was fun none the less. I really gotta get the Strano bars now.

Quick Reply: how to make camaro's suspension STIFF