Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What lubricant/grease to use on caliper guide pins?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What lubricant/grease to use on caliper guide pins?

Just got back from a fruitless quest to find brake grease. There is no such thing around here.

So now I'm wondering if there is anything else that I could use to grease the brake caliper slider pins besides something that is labeled brake grease or brake lubricant.
Needless to say, I'm looking for a substitute that is just as good (I wouldn't mind better).

A few other related questions if you guys don't mind:

1) What else do you lubricate when doing a brake job?

2) Are those little sachets of grease that come in the box with new brake pads, guide pins grease?

3) I heard of it being necessary to machine rotors when changing pads...but what about using old pads on machined rotors?
I have brake pads that have a lot of meat left in them and I was wondering if I could use them on machined rotors.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'Are those little sachets of grease that come in the box with new brake pads, guide pins grease?' YES
I use Permatex anti-seize lubricant(the silvery messy stuff) on the guide/slider pins,on the stainless steel clips that the pads slide on,on the back of the pads(to prevent squeal). the clips and back of pads just require a slight film. I also use the stuff on my poly sway bar bushings,poly lca bushings,and poly panhard bushings. seems to last longer than regular grease.
most automotive stores carry brake grease.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/p...924%7CL2*15038
Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
A few other related questions if you guys don't mind:
3) I heard of it being necessary to machine rotors when changing pads...but what about using old pads on machined rotors?
I have brake pads that have a lot of meat left in them and I was wondering if I could use them on machined rotors.

Thanks in advance guys!
If you have a reasonably large, FLAT surface, or a FLAT sanding block, you can clean the glaze off used brake pads with 320 grit sandpaper. Either rub them lightly with the sanding block, or place them on the sandpaper that's on a flat surface, and give them a light rub. Then clean off with brake cleaner or alcohol.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I generally use marine all purpose grease on the slide pins. I wouldn't have an issue using anti-seize either. Never had an issue.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slider pins I don't use anything but Permatex Ultra or specific brake lube

I used general purpose grease on mine once and it baked in there essentially freezing the pins in place
Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm also partial to Permatex

Permatex Extreme

I've gotten by in a pinch using antiseize in the past, but it tends to dry up quickly under abuse. I did have a seized pin once which required me to replace the caliper but I don't recall what I lubed the pin with that time.

I put the lube anywhere two separate metal pieces touch at mounting locations and may rub, including at the bottom and top of the pads where they sit in the mounting bracket.

Last edited by JimMueller; 08-27-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: wrong URL
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Permatex silver anti seze on brakes going on 20 years without a problem. It has a melting point of like 1500 degrees F.

Quick Reply: What lubricant/grease to use on caliper guide pins?