Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handbrake adjustment 2000 camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake adjustment 2000 camaro ss

2000 CAMARO SS handbrake issues. Passenger side locks up while the driver side doesnt lock up. Hand brake is all the way up like i mean to the sky as much as it can go up. I took off the driver side wheel tried adjusting the what i thought was the adjustor nut but than ended up taking it apart and not knowing if it was actually adjusting so i put everthing back together it caught and than i put the tire back on and it didnt catch its just a mess plus my car is manual so every time i go to sleep i check to make sure it didnt let go on the other side lol and see my car in the middle of the street.

Now the question is: is there a adjustement that can be made i googled it and saw a bunch of threads like this but no one ended up fixing it or saying i fixed it. Is it the cable that became old and worn out? is it the drum thing inside the disc that is worn out cause it looked good to me? or can i just adjust it some how to both catch?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Next time you google, put the phrase "LS1Tech" in the search as well. Found this post within three minutes:

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes, a complete bitch. But well worth the time. (Our cars have a special patented mechanism, which is unlike most other cars.)

You will need to turn the star wheel to the left to extend the shoes out to the rotor. There is a locking plate behind the star wheel, which keeps it set in place - so it may take a good amount of force to turn. It should "click" as it turns. (Mine was a bit gummed up/rusted and I had to take the assembly apart and re-lube to get it to turn.)

The adjust:
- make sure you release the parking break first!
- take off the rotor, then turn and extend the star wheel to spread the pad, then put the rotor back on and test
- with the rotor back on, check the play in the brake with the actuation lever behind the backing plate. Just pull the lever until the pads make contact with the rotor. Spec is 3mm of play at the end of the lever where the cable attaches. (So, when its tight, there will be very little movement.)
- then take off the rotor and repeat as necessary until you have the right play.

Quick Reply: Handbrake adjustment 2000 camaro ss