Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Set up for Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension Set up for Drag Radials

Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some feed back from experience on adjusting a suspension set up for a Manual F-Body. Tire is a P255/50R16 MT ET Street. I know it's a bit of an oddball size. The car isn't making a ton of power but it can spin the tires for sure which is why I figured I'd try out a drag radial. I like slicks but they tend to scare people away if trying to race! The car suspension wise for adjustments include the torque arm, pan hard bar, front coil overs & rear shocks.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

For a stick shift car, a bias ply (slick) is optimal because it absorbs some of the harshness of the launch and shifts. A radial can be made to work, but it will take more effort. What kind of shocks do you have? Is it a full length torque arm? Is it still mounted to the tailshaft or is it on the crossmember? Is the car still stock height? The torque arm and panhard bar adjustments that are built in will not do anything for traction, they are for correcting geometry for a lowered car. To better help I will need to know how the car is doing when being launched as it sits now
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
For a stick shift car, a bias ply (slick) is optimal because it absorbs some of the harshness of the launch and shifts. A radial can be made to work, but it will take more effort. What kind of shocks do you have? Is it a full length torque arm? Is it still mounted to the tailshaft or is it on the crossmember? Is the car still stock height? The torque arm and panhard bar adjustments that are built in will not do anything for traction, they are for correcting geometry for a lowered car. To better help I will need to know how the car is doing when being launched as it sits now
Yeah next year I may be moving to a slick set up but for the time being I will be sticking with the drag radial. I have QA1 Coilovers (Front), QA1 Rear Adjustable Shocks, UMI Crossmember Mounted Adjustable Torque Arm, UMI Adjustable Panhard Bar, car is Stock Ride Height. I would like to drop the front end a bit though for aesthetics.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DNTBJELOUS
Yeah next year I may be moving to a slick set up but for the time being I will be sticking with the drag radial. I have QA1 Coilovers (Front), QA1 Rear Adjustable Shocks, UMI Crossmember Mounted Adjustable Torque Arm, UMI Adjustable Panhard Bar, car is Stock Ride Height. I would like to drop the front end a bit though for aesthetics.
Are your QA1 shocks single or double adjustable? Out of the adjustable parts you listed really only the front and rear shocks will make a big difference with hooking. The torque arm adjustment just ensures that you have minimal driveline vibrations and the panhard rod centers the rear end up under the car.

Do you have any other suspension mods besides the QA1 shocks, panhard rod, and torque arm?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

get the bias ply ET streets instead of the drag radials
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the ET streets to and love them.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Really the only other things I have that I don't think I mentioned is a 22mm Rear Sway Bar with Sway Bar Links. I also have a Strange S60 Rear End in the vehicle if that may make a difference in any way due to added weight. The vehicle also has welded in Hotchkis Subframe Connectors & a UMI Front Strut Tower Bar.

Anyone have experience with the MT ET Street 315/35/R17? I have a set up of 17x11 wheels that I could use with that set up of tire. I just know that's a small sidewall & might not provide much flex.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
...really only the front and rear shocks will make a big difference with hooking...
So that's the key for an m6 f car pulling front tire and leaving like it got rearended by an amtrak train?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Out of the adjustable parts you listed really only the front and rear shocks will make a big difference with hooking.
Missed a part.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

6 Speed cars are a completely different animal. All of the suspension reaction is much harsher and quicker than that of an automatic car, so the suspension setup is more critical on these cars. Primarily shock valving. This is why we always recommend a double adjustable shock on the rear of a stick car. The automatic cars have the cushion of the converter to hit the tires and gradually apply load. With a stick it all hits at once, and what tends to happen is it will load the suspension really hard on the initial hit, but the shock valving will quickly try to pop the back end back up, which usually unloads the tires and results in wheel spin. The key with a stick car is to get that initial weight transfer and have it gradually unload so it keeps the tires loaded as long as possible.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of relocation brackets. Those will go a long way towards getting the car to hook as well. They promote anti-squat which will keep the tires planted as well
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Launching!

6 Speed cars are a completely different animal. All of the suspension reaction is much harsher and quicker than that of an automatic car, so the suspension setup is more critical on these cars. Primarily shock valving. This is why we always recommend a double adjustable shock on the rear of a stick car. The automatic cars have the cushion of the converter to hit the tires and gradually apply load. With a stick it all hits at once, and what tends to happen is it will load the suspension really hard on the initial hit, but the shock valving will quickly try to pop the back end back up, which usually unloads the tires and results in wheel spin. The key with a stick car is to get that initial weight transfer and have it gradually unload so it keeps the tires loaded as long as possible.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of relocation brackets. Those will go a long way towards getting the car to hook as well. They promote anti-squat which will keep the tires planted as well

Extremely helpful! Thank you. I do have rear lower control arm relocation brackets on my vehicle as well. Any insight on Springs or Ride Height by chance?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you played with tire pressure yet? Most DR's like 18-20psi for best hook
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by DNTBJELOUS
Extremely helpful! Thank you. I do have rear lower control arm relocation brackets on my vehicle as well. Any insight on Springs or Ride Height by chance?
Ride Height has some affect on suspension setup, but only if changing ride height on an existing setup. If you are setting up an already lowered car then the process is the same as one that is stock height. It basically just changes the positions that the lower control arms and the torque arm need to be in to get your instant center position correct.
As far as spring rate, that is where many people get lost and get into the "bigger is better" mentality and tend to put much too stiff of a spring in the rear. While the idea of this is to keep pressure on the tires and prevent excessive squatting, suspension geometry will do the same thing more effectively. Too stiff of a spring will not let the suspension react to put all the geometry and components to use and often just results in uncontrollable spinning.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

A note to add on springs, we have several cars running well into the single digits on our 1.25" lowering springs. It's all about balance
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A note to add on springs, we have several cars running well into the single digits on our 1.25" lowering springs. It's all about balance
Nice. I'd like to be there...
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Well just an update if anyone was wondering. Car is dead hooking how I have it set up but it seems to be falling on it's face after it gets out of the whole. A bit of playing I am going to have to do with the launching factor & the clutch but that will all play out with some more testing time. I will be trying to increase air pressure in the tires though to see if I can get a bit more MPH trap at the end of the 1/4. Thanks for all the helpful info!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

60 ft times? Vested here!!

Quick Reply: Suspension Set up for Drag Radials