Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR's KM019 and violent shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BMR's KM019 and violent shaking

How can the KM019 K-member from BMR safely be changed to eliminate the gawdy shaking and vibrations that came with it? I already called BMR, but assistance went nowhere real fast. The person with whom I spoke is 100% sure the APS turbso won't fit with OEM mounts. I'm convinced that person must be thinking of different turbos since their KM003 (with OEM mounts) is what APS designed their system around... In accordance with their installation instructions: "A BMR KM003 K-Frame is required (not included) in order to install the APS Intercooled Twin Turbo System."

thoughts? opinions?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The APS twin system was infact designed around our KM019. The KM003 has diagonal support braces that do not allow an room for the turbos to be mounted in the position that the APS system places them. I am not sure why that part number is listed as you describe. This kit by nature will introduce more vibration into the car, but it should not be any more unbearable than the addition of any other polyurethane motor or transmission mount upgrade. What kind of transmission mount are you running? Is anything contacting part of the frame/suspension that could be transferring vibration? We have sold hundreds of these and don't get very many complaints about NVH. Infact, these use the same motor mounts as our Mustang and Shelby k-members and have minimal complaints there as well. Something sounds amiss
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Their instructions say a KM003 is required on the fourth line from the top of the page. http://www.airpowersystems.com/guide...ts01_guide.htm
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I see they never changed their instructions from 10 years ago when the only option was the KM003. The KM019 was specifically designed around this kit due to fitment issues with the KM003.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
The APS twin system was infact designed around our KM019.
I'm not sure how that's possible given the Spring / Summer 2007 release date of the APS kit and the 2013 release date of the BMR KM019...

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
I see they never changed their instructions from 10 years ago when the only option was the KM003.
APS will never update that part of their website...

My transmission mounts are OEM. Before changing over to the BMR KM019, I was using UMI's #2320 K-member with the poly motor mounts included in the APS kit. The only other changes made to my car during the installation of the KM019 was the replacement of all OEM rubber bushings in the front suspension with OEM rubber bushings. I try to keep as much rubber in my car as possible. Trust me, there is now a HUGE difference in ride quality. I feel like I'm in my buddy's Trans Am with solid mounts just about everywhere... I find it worse than a wooden roller coaster.

If no one has any good ideas then I suppose I'll have to find a chassis shop that can modify this thing to use the OEM clamshells. Maybe the DKT turbos won't fit, but the tiny, original, TD06 20Gs will.

Quick Reply: BMR's KM019 and violent shaking