Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking when braking with intermediate pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Clunking when braking with intermediate pressure

Well I started getting a clunking noise sometimes when braking from around 40 to 25 mph with the clutch pushed in, and intermediate pressure on the brake pedal. I noticed this after I got new tires and painted the brake calipers and rotor hats. I originally thought this was a driveline issue, but after further investigation I believe it is a brake issue.

I went to verify that the slide pin bolts were at 27 ft-lbs and the top one on the passenger side just sat and spun, so I assume it is stripped. It also looked like the little rubber cover also was spinning on this bolt (shown in the picture below). I noticed that the calipers do not seem to have as much side to side movement as the ones on my fathers car. Maybe greasing the pins would help this and fix my clunking sound?

What would be the symptoms of a sticky slide pin?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why your pins are sticky, did you see rust on them? I just went thru this break down heading to the beach on Interstate 64 with all those bumps! Heard a clunking sound after hitting a bump in the concrete then a metal sound (2 screws coming off). Pulled over and saw my brake moving and there were no bolts holding the pins in. Long story short, walked 3 miles to a Autozone and got new ones. Used locktite and fixed driver side and checked passenger side. My slides moved freely, and I had never taken these bolts out before. I just sprayed my pins lightly with lithium grease spray.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you cant get the slide tightened to spec make sure the slide flange is locked into the caliper when tightening. If it dosent lock in you can grab it with a wrench or vice grips. Some cars you need to do that to tighten the caliper. If the bolt still spins its stripped
dose it go away with heavier braking?
my monte carlo clunks with light braking, once i brake a little heavy it goes away. The slides have play, if i grease the slides it goes away for 6 mths to a yr. I need to get a new bracket n slides but since it dosent affect braking id rather put the money into the camaro
Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have occasionally gotten/heard something similar on my '02 as well. I did slotted rotors, Hawks pads & the rims Years ago. I fired up my compressor yest with the pic above in mind and went searching for a loose bolt or something backed off and didn't find squat
Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstGen F-Body
if you cant get the slide tightened to spec make sure the slide flange is locked into the caliper when tightening. If it dosent lock in you can grab it with a wrench or vice grips. Some cars you need to do that to tighten the caliper. If the bolt still spins its stripped
dose it go away with heavier braking?
my monte carlo clunks with light braking, once i brake a little heavy it goes away. The slides have play, if i grease the slides it goes away for 6 mths to a yr. I need to get a new bracket n slides but since it dosent affect braking id rather put the money into the camaro
Yes it does not happen with harder braking. Is there a good write up on how to grease the slides? Do you have to remove the calipers?

Originally Posted by Rob M
I have occasionally gotten/heard something similar on my '02 as well. I did slotted rotors, Hawks pads & the rims Years ago. I fired up my compressor yest with the pic above in mind and went searching for a loose bolt or something backed off and didn't find squat
I still haven't figured it out, and I can't even be 100% sure on where it is coming from. The car has factory blank rotors.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clunk when breaking after getting out of gear, and it ended up being the torque arm bushing. When the weight/momentum would transfer while decelerating, the torque arm would move around a bit. $15 fix. Also maybe check the tranny mount or possibly the U-Joints.

If you think it's coming from your brakes, its possible the pads are moving within the caliper, causing a clink.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

That is what I am also thinking it could be. I have been looking at this thread, and would like to try something similar as I believe I do get some extra noise from the rod end on the MWC torque arm.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...orque-arm.html
Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I've had several cars clunk when braking. Every time, it turned out the top shock bolts needed a quarter turn. Noise gone
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I've had several cars clunk when braking. Every time, it turned out the top shock bolts needed a quarter turn. Noise gone
Good food for thought! Even better avatar Darth As well as the Torque arm suggestion.

...In my case neither will matter as I'm getting to do the parts install part of a lot of my suspension & chassis
Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meeklay812
If you think it's coming from your brakes, its possible the pads are moving within the caliper, causing a clink.
+1. First thing i thought of.

The abutment bracket shims don't really hold the pads tightly in the bracket so they might make a clunking sound when the brakes are applied.

i tried adding a single shim to each bracket on each side and the clunking stopped but the pads were hard to move so i'm still trying to figure out which is better.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I think this fixed the problem, thanks a ton! I was getting so frustrated with this, I'm glad it was an easy fix. The bolts must have loosened over time since I added a STB a few winters ago. I may add a little loctite if it becomes an issue again.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I feel you. First car it happened on I tore the front end apart three times trying to figure it out. Second car, I only tore it apart once. Third time I went straight to the shock towers.

If only there was a website that people with ls1 powered cars could post when weird stuff like that happens to help others with similar problems

Quick Reply: Clunking when braking with intermediate pressure