Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock torque arm? How much can it take at the track???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock torque arm? How much can it take at the track???

I have a LS6, cam, Longtubes etc etc 420rwhp ish I am guessing camaro M6 with a Ford 9" and 3.89 gears...I took it to the track with my ET streets and had 20psi and they spun. My question IS!... If I take them down to about 16-17psi and they HOOK! Will my stock torque arm break? Or will it take a beating for a while? And if it does break would it be save to drive home from the track at 50 mph (30 min drive) sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock torque arm will fail, it's just a matter of when. They normally break just in front of the rearend and when it does the cost to get up and going again is gonna be a lot more than what the cost of a good torque arm is right now. And if you do break the arm and don't have a trailer or a welder on site then it will be a long tow home as the car will most likely not be driveable with a broken arm.

Give us a call and we will be happy to explain the situation better and get you setup with the right parts and the lowest prices!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't drive it if it broke and it may last a good whole or it mite fail quick. Mine started to crack where the bolts went thur on the rear. Eventually would have failed. So call the guy above me. Eric had the best prices and very quality parts.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Will it hold up? Maybe... but why risk it when there are readily available replacements that will take the abuse well past the limits of the rest of the vehicle. Those stock arms are just stamped sheetmetal basically. They are not pretty wadded up under one of these cars
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can swing it get a torque arm relocation trans crossmember at the same time to get the loads off the trans tailshaft. I felt the car really tighten up and respond quicker with the relo crossmember.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
If you can swing it get a torque arm relocation trans crossmember at the same time to get the loads off the trans tailshaft. I felt the car really tighten up and respond quicker with the relo crossmember.
This. All day.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We often sell relocation brackets first then torque arms second due to customers budget constraints.

Numbers-wise we see more broken trans mounts than we do broken torque arms. In both cases though the numbers are small (a few of each per year) because 4th Gen owners tend to know these better products are available.

It's also important to consider whether you want a long torque arm (quieter, better for street, etc) or a short torque arm (ultimate 60ft time, forward traction, some NVH due to mounting location).

Like the guys above we can offer awesome products at a fair price.

ramey
Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wink

I just bought a UMI TA trans relocation mount, it just came in this week -- had a failure of the last OEM mount clamshell on the tailshaft at the strip where it became separated. My trans guy Don Stanley at TSI Racing also highly recommended getting it off the tailshaft. A4 here.

Now to get it installed!

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
We often sell relocation brackets first then torque arms second due to customers budget constraints.

Numbers-wise we see more broken trans mounts than we do broken torque arms. In both cases though the numbers are small (a few of each per year) because 4th Gen owners tend to know these better products are available.

It's also important to consider whether you want a long torque arm (quieter, better for street, etc) or a short torque arm (ultimate 60ft time, forward traction, some NVH due to mounting location).

Quick Reply: Stock torque arm? How much can it take at the track???