Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with trying to make car hook

Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with trying to make car hook

I have a 02 T/A with a 9 inch rear, turbo 350 trans., 4/11 gears, M/T Pro radials, making 650 N/A and extra 200 NOS. Hooking this car is kinda hit and miss. I have all BMR adjustable, lower LCA's, Full length T/A with relocate bracket, strange single adjustable front and rear shocks, 12 positions. I have played with my shocks and cant get a consistent hook out of the car. Main question I have is, I have my instant center set at where my T/A front mount is located, if I adjust that more to the back of the car, would that give more bite off the line, car has been lowered also, rear LCA's are in bottom hole of relocate brackets and have probably 1" of kick up in the front.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend running the front shocks a couple clicks from full loose and on the rear I would run them a couple clicks from full stiff. This will give you a decent baseline to start with the shocks. Where do you have your torque arm mounted on the relocation crossmember? This will determine what your instant center is. I would also think about moving the rear LCAs up one hole on the relocation brackets too since the car is making a good bit of power. There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to make your car more consistent we just got make sure everything is where the car wants it.

Also when the car hooks do have problems with it doing wheelies? I am just asking because I work on a car here locally that is similar to your setup but make a little less power and liked to wheelie but we cured that with some Madman limiters.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I do not know the current angle of the actual torque arm, I can check tonight, but where the torque arm line and the LCA line intersect is at the mount on front of the torque arm, I have no way to adjust my LCA's anymore than what they are, the T/A is probably kicking downward in the front just below level. Currently after street racing this past weekend at my local track, only way I could run from unprepped end was to leave at idle, feather throttle and all shocks set to 0. Prepped end, I have hooked on an extremely prepped surface with 4 on rears and 2 on front N/A and 4 on front with 200 shot. I know I will never completely hook on street with this car but trying for optimal positioning.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Teching In

The T/A is currently mounted in the second hole from the top, top holes are slotted and bottoms are staggered but I am in second set from top. I was told the LCA's need to have a upward kick in front, if I move them up one hole, the front will be pointing downward, is this correct. The car has never had a problem with wheelies.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by FAST Beast
I do not know the current angle of the actual torque arm, I can check tonight, but where the torque arm line and the LCA line intersect is at the mount on front of the torque arm, I have no way to adjust my LCA's anymore than what they are, the T/A is probably kicking downward in the front just below level. Currently after street racing this past weekend at my local track, only way I could run from unprepped end was to leave at idle, feather throttle and all shocks set to 0. Prepped end, I have hooked on an extremely prepped surface with 4 on rears and 2 on front N/A and 4 on front with 200 shot. I know I will never completely hook on street with this car but trying for optimal positioning.
The T/A is currently mounted in the second hole from the top, top holes are slotted and bottoms are staggered but I am in second set from top. I was told the LCA's need to have a upward kick in front, if I move them up one hole, the front will be pointing downward, is this correct. The car has never had a problem with wheelies.
Honestly I would move your torque arm down a set of holes or two and move your LCAs up a hole. It just sounds like you are hitting the tires too hard especially if you are running on a unprepped surface. The higher you mount the torque arm on that relocation crossmember the harder it is going to hit the tires and from the sounds of it the torque arm is mounted one hole down from the top hole. What you were told on the LCAs is somewhat correct especially on lower powered car. When you get a car that makes a bunch of power angling those LCAs downward in the back can make the car hit the tires too hard so there comes a point of when it can be too much and I think you are at that point. I would definitely work on trying to get the car to come out of the hole a little softer.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks I will try this.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks I will try this.
Definitely play around with the car a little bit and see if you can get it to come out of the hole a bit softer and I have a feeling you will find much better consistency. Let us know how it works for you.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Definitely play around with the car a little bit and see if you can get it to come out of the hole a bit softer and I have a feeling you will find much better consistency. Let us know how it works for you.
I ordered a set of Hoosier slicks and will be putting them on tomorrow to run on the street end or unprepped end of our track, do you recommend same settings for the slicks? I am gonna continue to run my radials on prepped end.

Last edited by FAST Beast; 08-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I ordered a set of Hoosier slicks and will be putting them on tomorrow to run on the street end or unprepped end of our track, do you recommend same settings for the slicks, I am gonna continue to run my radials on prepped end?
I would stick with the same recommendation for the Hoosier slicks that we were talking about because they should still work well for you. You may be able to get a little more aggressive with the slicks compared to the radials but I would still start off pretty conservatively and adjust from there.

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 08-19-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with trying to make car hook