Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Umi lcarb

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umi lcarb

Went to install my LCARB and found that grinding down of the axle weight was necessary. Is this a big process, or even necessary to keep it on the car. Just a noob question please don't flame, it just seems useless..
Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no issue with grinding the weight down, but I've never heard of having to do that. Also, many people run it without with no issue. Let me know how it goes!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axle weight? The only thing that needs cut would be the brake cable bracket. I had no problems cutting that off mine, especially considering the bracket doesn't actually hold anything; rather, it is just there to keep the cable out of the way -- which it's not in the way of anything in the first place
Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I figured, I just took them off completely. I didn't have to cut any brake cables or anything, just worked around them. Had to do some grinding on the original bracket bc they were a little rusty and wouldn't let me slide the new RB up and into place. Pretty pumped how they turned out and it was a pretty straight forward process; just those 20 year old bolts were a pain in the butt to get off working on the floor. Can't wait to test them out this weekend!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Let me know if there's anything I can help out with. Should work pretty well for you.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Axle weight? The only thing that needs cut would be the brake cable bracket. I had no problems cutting that off mine, especially considering the bracket doesn't actually hold anything; rather, it is just there to keep the cable out of the way -- which it's not in the way of anything in the first place
The LT1 cars actually have a brake weight, it is round and if I remember correctly is rubber. You just need to buzz a little bit off the edge. I think only the LS cars have the caliper bracket.

This just shows how long it has been since I personally installed these

Ryan
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah... I now see the OP has a '94. Damn LT1 owners
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the purpose of the "brake weight" on lt1 cars anyhow? Can they just be removed?

Quick Reply: Umi lcarb