Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting strano springs... stupid idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting strano springs... stupid idea?

Like 90% of 98-02 Camaro's out there, mine sits uneven. I know it's a fact of life, but it drives me crazy.

To make a long story short, if I cut 1/4 coil off the driver side front coil to help level out the car, will it kill the performance of the springs? Or should I just leave it alone and take my OCD meds?

I don't want to screw anything up because it drives awesome right now.. but I would like to level out the ride..
Old 08-23-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If they were stock springs, I'd say cut. You have Strano springs. I would not be cutting ln them, but thst's just me.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Like 90% of 98-02 Camaro's out there, mine sits uneven. I know it's a fact of life, but it drives me crazy.

To make a long story short, if I cut 1/4 coil off the driver side front coil to help level out the car, will it kill the performance of the springs? Or should I just leave it alone and take my OCD meds?

I don't want to screw anything up because it drives awesome right now.. but I would like to level out the ride..
Cutting the spring is a permanent mod, and there is no guarantee you will get the height you want either(may end up going too low), and then you are just stuck with a ruined spring.
Get some coilover sleeves to put on the shocks and then you can dial in the height exactly where you want it, and still retain the good shocks and springs that you already have.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Cutting the spring is a permanent mod, and there is no guarantee you will get the height you want either(may end up going too low), and then you are just stuck with a ruined spring.
Get some coilover sleeves to put on the shocks and then you can dial in the height exactly where you want it, and still retain the good shocks and springs that you already have.
Do you have a link to some reputable coilover sleeves?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Ground Control makes them. The link is int the first post. I won't repost it, as I don't think they are a vendor here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ers-worth.html
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Do you have a link to some reputable coilover sleeves?
I dont think they are a sponsor (so Im not going to risk posting a link) but ground control makes some coilover sleeves, you can find it with a google search.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-coilover.html
May want to double check with Sam that his springs will fit right with those.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought you weren't suppose to use the lower perch on the koni's..? How is using a coil over setup different than using the lower perch?

I was thinking that if I use the lower perch on the drivers side it might get me really close to where I want to be, but again, I don't want to mess anything up.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In one of the threads linked above, Sam says his springs don't work with the GC stuff.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It would be unorthodox, but I can't see anything horrific happening by running one on the upper and one on the lower perch. It would make up for a .5 -.75 height difference. Any less than that would just bias it to the other side. I doubt there would be a noticeable handling problem as a result, although spring travel would differ from side to side.

It's free, it's easy to do, and if you don't like it, you can always switch back, no harm done.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It would be unorthodox, but I can't see anything horrific happening by running one on the upper and one on the lower perch. It would make up for a .5 -.75 height difference. Any less than that would just bias it to the other side. I doubt there would be a noticeable handling problem as a result, although spring travel would differ from side to side.

It's free, it's easy to do, and if you don't like it, you can always switch back, no harm done.
That's a good point. I'm going to take it all apart anyway to my Z06 brake upgrade. I bought new strut mounts, too, as I should have replaced them when I did the rest of the upgrades.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just take the OCD meds.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the GC kit...it won't work with the front Strano springs. It's also a pain to install the sleeves over the front shocks (koni)...lots of grinding.

Once installed it is just ok (I'm being nice) for street if you want height adjustability...the GC kit does deliver that..again, not without its quirks..Tough to find an equivalent at that price point.

Last edited by brigade24; 08-25-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: claritin clarity
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brigade24
I run the GC kit...it won't work with the front Strano springs. It's also a pain to install the sleeves over the front shocks (koni)...lots of grinding.

Once installed it is just ok (I'm being nice) for street if you want height adjustability...the GC kit does deliver that..again, not without its quirks..Tough to find an equivalent at that price point.
Do you use their supplied springs with the kit?

What are the drawbacks to the height adjustability?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I would just take the OCD meds.
no kidding
Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I dont think they are a sponsor (so Im not going to risk posting a link) but ground control makes some coilover sleeves, you can find it with a google search.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-coilover.html
May want to double check with Sam that his springs will fit right with those.
My springs work on stock style perches, will not work on 2.5" perches.

As for cutting. You can do what you want, but don't use a torch. Wouldn't recommend it, and would tell you to paint the bare end if you do. But the cars sit left side high, that's how they are.

If the height is killing you that much, then feel free to cut them if you wish (again not recommending this) or look at something that allows height adjustment while retaining the high end damper.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Is it uneven when you are sitting in the car. Still take the OCD meds.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater

I would try sliding a piece of heater hose over the rear spring opposite the front side that is "high", ie. the right rear.....
Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it possible you over tightened an upper A arm causing the suspension to not settle on a one side?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just going to throw this out there, our SA001 spring seat adapters will make any stock style spring work on any 2.5" coil-over style shock setup

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...294&superpro=0
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Just going to throw this out there, our SA001 spring seat adapters will make any stock style spring work on any 2.5" coil-over style shock setup

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...294&superpro=0
Another thing I was thinking about was leaving the springs alone, and buying a set of your 1" lower A-arms. Then use the SA002 Shock Spacer on the passanger side to level out the front end. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Cutting strano springs... stupid idea?