Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment Problems

Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Problems

So i went to get my SS alignment done at the base shop & they told me my control arm bushings among other things such as tie rod & rack and pinion are fucked up. Which bushings are they talking about exactly having a hard time finding them online? Thanks- craig
Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Define "fucked up".......as politely as possible, do you/they mean worn out? Your signature says 2002 SS. If that's the car you're referring to, it's 12 years old, and OE rubber bushings break down over time. How many miles on the car? Tie rod ends do wear out....
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Control arms are the things that hold your front wheels in place, along with the spindle. They attach to the car, and where they do there is a bushing that will die of old age. Ball joints are what attaches the control arm to the spindle at the top and bottom. Tie rod ends are what pull the wheels back and forth in relation to input from the steering wheel.

The fact that you're asking this question means you probably aren't prepared to replace any of it yourself, unless you have someone that can show you the ropes.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Control arms are the things that hold your front wheels in place, along with the spindle. They attach to the car, and where they do there is a bushing that will die of old age. Ball joints are what attaches the control arm to the spindle at the top and bottom. Tie rod ends are what pull the wheels back and forth in relation to input from the steering wheel.

The fact that you're asking this question means you probably aren't prepared to replace any of it yourself, unless you have someone that can show you the ropes.
That was very diplomatic!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, anytime I'm paying someone to do a job for me when I can't do myself(for any reason) and they tell me "things are F'ed up", I expect them to clearly explain and show me what the "F" they're talking about before I decide spend one cent!

IMO,You should do the same!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty much done throwing money at shops for now. Dropped $4k this month, rack & pinion was leaking supposedly. As well as the bushings and tie rod are worn.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4k just to fix a leaking rack and pinion, replace lower control arm bushings, and tie rod ends??? I feel like there's more to the story than just this...
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
4k just to fix a leaking rack and pinion, replace lower control arm bushings, and tie rod ends??? I feel like there's more to the story than just this...
I agree, but my interpretation of the original post is that this shop is telling the OP that the front end is pretty well worn out, but the $4K was for something else. Maybe I'm wrong. However, it seems that the OP is reluctant to provide details, such as the number of miles on the car.

Also, he mentioned that he can't find the parts he needs, to fix up the front end, yet all ne needs to do is go to the Federal Mogul Moog website and punch in 2002 Camaro. It will not tell him where to buy parts, but WILL provide all the part numbers ne needs, so he can go shopping.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree, but my interpretation of the original post is that this shop is telling the OP that the front end is pretty well worn out, but the $4K was for something else. Maybe I'm wrong. However, it seems that the OP is reluctant to provide details, such as the number of miles on the car.

Also, he mentioned that he can't find the parts he needs, to fix up the front end, yet all ne needs to do is go to the Federal Mogul Moog website and punch in 2002 Camaro. It will not tell him where to buy parts, but WILL provide all the part numbers ne needs, so he can go shopping.
Hell, autozone or napa for the energy suspension bushings. I think the $4k is other stuff also. I understand getting frustrated at dumping money on the car, but we can't help much without details. Internet diagnostics are tricky enough
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM

For 4K he could have rebuilt the whole front end, got it aligned brakes new all the way around, and four new tires. With enough money left over to take the mechanics wife out to dinner and a movie. And that's paying to have the work done.

If your not willing to pay to play your in the wrong game. owning a car like this requires some mechanic skills, unless you have very deep pockets.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh I think I see what you meant now OP, you made a good comment leadfoot4. I can understand your point tho, spending money on your car to fix it and then almost right after it gets fixed, you're told it needs more work and more money done to it. That's something you don't like to hear too often. But basically the bad bushings are bolted to what controls your alignment, and if your bushings are bad and crumbled then there is room for your alignment to be a little out of whack (usually not by much but possibly enough to where you need new ones.) Good luck though, hoping it doesn't end up a hassle or costing a lot.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BMR has a thread here where one can find a good alignment shop near them. I'd suggest taking a look through it and perhaps going to a trusted shop that can explain to you exactly what you're in need of.

I'm sorry to hear that you've spent $4,000 on what seems like only a few hundred bucks in parts and labor, but this is often what happens when having people work on a vehicle they do not normally work on. If it's not a daily driver, I'd suggest simply investing in a decent set of sockets, wrenches, jack and stands -- just go to Harbor Freight if money is tight (which it may be now that you wasted so much money).

Anyway, I have posted my thoughts and experience on this very issue here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...w-experts.html
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
One thing I'll say here is that there are lots of us that nobody showed the ropes. My belief is that 90% of the ability to repair vehicles is the courage to try. The other 10% is the willingness to be patient, do things right, not take shortcuts, and do plenty of homework before investing in tools and parts.

I find that about 1/3 of the shops out there know these F cars well enough to repair them, so they throw parts at them.

OP, we all enjoy helping each other out or we wouldn't be on here. There are just so many ways a car can be F'ed up. To give you an idea with the shop you're working with. I put a new power steering gear, pump, tie rods, hoses in for less than $500, and I did all the bushings in the car for $250. Ball joints for $300 and that was to get Moog joints, which are damn expensive.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
One thing I'll say here is that there are lots of us that nobody showed the ropes. My belief is that 90% of the ability to repair vehicles is the courage to try. The other 10% is the willingness to be patient, do things right, not take shortcuts, and do plenty of homework before investing in tools and parts.
I agree, to a point, but 45 years ago, when I was just starting to venture "under the hood", I had a few "older guys" that I could turn to, when I hit a dead end. And I owe those guys BIG TIME. I wouldn't have gained the experience I have, without their initial guidance.

Another thing, when getting involved in front end work, which I've done a LOT of, there is no substitute for the proper tools, and it can get expensive in a hurry. BUT, you have to start somewhere......
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
No haha $4k for building my rear end cause it took a dump. As well as new clutch,flywheel, slave & master cylinder.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
BMR has a thread here where one can find a good alignment shop near them. I'd suggest taking a look through it and perhaps going to a trusted shop that can explain to you exactly what you're in need of.[/url]
See the link in my sig. Alignment shops will tell you all kinds of things are wrong when they can't get it right or don't know how to properly adjust these cars. However, there may be truth to this as the rearward bushings in the front lower arms are proned to splitting and having excessive movement. Usually you will feel a "thump" in the floorpan in the footwell area when hitting bumps if this happens.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
See the link in my sig. Alignment shops will tell you all kinds of things are wrong when they can't get it right or don't know how to properly adjust these cars. However, there may be truth to this as the rearward bushings in the front lower arms are proned to splitting and having excessive movement. Usually you will feel a "thump" in the floorpan in the footwell area when hitting bumps if this happens.
Definitely have been hearing that. I've been looking at doing the BMR control arm kit. Should I just replace tie rods/rack & pinion with stock parts?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightDynamite
Definitely have been hearing that. I've been looking at doing the BMR control arm kit. Should I just replace tie rods/rack & pinion with stock parts?
Unless you are doing a hardcore racing/handling application the stock rack and components are good. Is your rack weeping? They normally start to leak around 100k miles or so and the only solution seems to be replacing them. If not, I would put some new tie rods on it and let it fly. I would be happy to discuss some options with you as far as doing a lower control arm setup. Give me a call or shoot me a PM and I'll get you some numbers
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MidnightDynamite
How many miles are on the car, such that everything is shot?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Being willing will only get you so far. If you're clueless and willing you can cause yourself all manner of grief. I'd be more than happy to help show the ropes to anyone, but in this instance I'm at least 1500 miles away. The reason I say this is if you're just starting out, you don't know what's right or what's wrong....you don't know why in either instance as well. You wouldn't know what was a shortcut, or what wasn't.

I'll grant you, having some courage helps...but it's a really poor substitute for knowledge and direction.

Your point about F bodies and repair shops......applies to any and all cars. There's lots and lots of shops out there where the people couldn't buy a clue about anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment Problems