Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help ASAP-Torque arm bushing install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need help ASAP-Torque arm bushing install problem

So I have an M6 02 firebird, and I am changing the torque arm bushing. Problem is, I removed the top bolt fine, removed the lower right bolt, but there is one bolt the is attached to the bracket and after I took the nut off, I can't pull it out of the tail shaft, the torque arm gets in the way, and I can't rotate it because of the trans mount. Is there a proper way to do this? also the bolt is attached to the bracket I am taking off, that is why I am having this problem. I need help on this ASAP because I need to use my car for tomorrow as it is my DD. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that it's your DD and I'm on like 7 minutes after you posted, I have never changed the torque arm bushing, but have looked it up before. You might not get a response before tomorrow, so I'll leave you with some good keywords to look up as I know they have a good write-up somewhere on the interwebz about the torque arm bushing "clamshell bracket." I think that may be your problem, search for that on Google and you might get what you're looking for.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I've never removed it without needing to get better access to the transmission. You might be able to pry the tail shaft over. Not sure if the shifter will interfere. I've always had the shifter off, but that'll add an hour both to removal and reinstall
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The factory mount actually opens up on the top once the top bolt is removed. This allows you to move the torque arm up and out of the way for the long stud to come out of the tailshaft. BE CAREFUL: I assume that since you didn't mention the torque are popping up through the top of the mount and bashing your trans tunnel that you are doing this with the suspension unloaded. The rear end hanging will allow you to rotate the torque arm up and out of the way. Under load it will have tension on it and either be bound in the mount or will as mentioned above smash your floor pan. If the mount has never been opened/removed you may need to pry it a little at the top where the 2 pieces meet.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
The factory mount actually opens up on the top once the top bolt is removed. This allows you to move the torque arm up and out of the way for the long stud to come out of the tailshaft. BE CAREFUL: I assume that since you didn't mention the torque are popping up through the top of the mount and bashing your trans tunnel that you are doing this with the suspension unloaded. The rear end hanging will allow you to rotate the torque arm up and out of the way. Under load it will have tension on it and either be bound in the mount or will as mentioned above smash your floor pan. If the mount has never been opened/removed you may need to pry it a little at the top where the 2 pieces meet.
Definitely have it on jack stands with the rear hanging. It's not going to go anywhere other than tilting where you need it to go

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP-Torque arm bushing install problem