Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it a Blown Rear Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a Blown Rear Shock?

Just wanted to get some opinions before I buy a new shock.

- WHen my car is sitting on a level surface my passenger side fender sits an inch lower than the driver side one.( I measured the highest point on both rear fenders)

Does this mean my shock is blown? I checked my adjustable panhard rod and the rear is centered within a 1/4 an inch on both sides. Also when I'm driving my passenger side rear wheel seems to slap up into my wheel well more than the rear driver side wheel. ( Its only lowered an inch)

It seems to me the passenger side shock is blown -but I dont know if this has anything to do with the passenger side of the rear end naturally being the weak point of all f body suspensions (from what ive been told)?

Any ways to test the shock?

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

THanks Ahead of Time

-Lane
Old 05-23-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks are not responsible for ride height. In some rare cases, an extremely high pressure shock could impact ride height, but only by a fraction of an inch at best. Springs handle ride height, shocks damp motion. Unless the body has a dent in it that the piston is hung up on, it will not change your ride height.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yep, no way could that be a shock problem. I'm betting you have a bent or broken spring perch on the rear axle or front strut.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

What is a spring perch? - I did have an accident before where the rear wheel on the passenger side got slammed upinto the wheel well so hard that the tire came off the rim. If it's not a sagging shock is it possible I need a new spring?

THanks Again
Old 05-24-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A spring purch are the areas where the spring attaches or sits on the strut or axel. Often times there can be damage to these areas, causing ride height problems. I have see this before. Have you hit anything really hard?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1319&
Old 05-25-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Took some pictures

Voodoo- I did have an accident before where my wheel was slapped up into the wheelwell hard enough to throw the tire off the wheel.

Trackbird- thankyou very much for those excellent links that helped alot!

( I adjusted my spring seat and now there is only a quarter inch dif in heighth on each side- but it still is bottoming out much worse on the passenger side along with some squeaks while driving.

I don't know if you can make out what these small pictures are. These pictures are of the side of the perch that is closer to the front of the car. The indents, which are on both sides. are at the point where the perch connects to the rear axle shaft. It looks like these may be small breaks. Don't know if theyre normal indentations. If they are small breaks would they be enough to cause my wheel to have excessive bottomming out in my wheel well while driving?

Thanks Again!

Last edited by lrk322; 05-25-2004 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it a Blown Rear Shock?