Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

99 Trans-Am Suspension Swap

Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Trans-Am Suspension Swap

Hey everybody. I haven't built or worked on a car since my 79 about 20 years ago so this is going to be filled with pretty noob questions even after reading most if not all of the suspension threads. I know the answers are all here somewhere but are pretty varied and spread around so my ADD won't put it all together for me lol. I'm redoing the stock suspension in my car. I'm looking for an exploded view of the front and rear shocks with all parts top to bottom needed to completely build everything and replace the existing. I want to pull the old stuff drop it in the garbage and install the new other than maybe the rear upper spring cup. But definitely all the rubber/isolators. So far I have the following:

Rear Shock - Koni 1265SPORT
Front Shock - Koni 1139SPORT
Rear Spring - BMR SP002RC
Front Spring - BMR SP003RC
Monroe 902947 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Driver
Monroe 902948 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Passenger
Energy suspension 3.3164R Front Bushing kit

I'm only doing the front bushings figuring I will change the ones in the back when I do adjustable control arms and a pan hard rod which is next on the list along with a STB and SFCs. I've also changed all 4 sway bar links trying to track down a clunk in the front drivers side corner which I haven't found yet.

I know I'm going to need (2) Monroe 903933 Strut-Mate Coil Spring Insulators. But what about bump stops, coil seats for front and rear, any other rubber or misc pieces I can't figure out for front and rear? Also since I have the Monroe mounts can I use the MOOG Insulators or should I just stick with Monroe to keep it all the same?

Any links, help, part numbers, pictures or direction are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give Eric or Kyle a call over at BMR, they have everything your going to need and will be able to answer any and all questions you got as well as probably a nice package deal. I have their lower springs as well and it was a night and day difference.

I would also save alil bit more and do the adjustable phb at the same time because once you lower the car it will shift the rear end slightly.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Cool man thanks. I'll give them a call. I'm trying to figure out which parts to go with for the PH bar STB, SFCs and control arms. I know I'm going bolt on chromoly so I can get em on now and weld them up later. I'm trying to decide between Umi or BMR. I assume it's just a preference of manufacturer.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm not sure what the Monroe parts you're looking at are, but I would use Moog and avoid Monroe wherever possible. You won't need to replace the lower mount insulators unless they're missing; they're like hockey pucks and don't deteriorate.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys guys. The only Monroe parts I have are the front shock mounts. So my parts to order list now is as follows:

Front spring lower isolator - Heater hose mod
Front spring upper isolator MOOG Part # K6573 (in the top of the strut mount)

I still need the Rear spring upper isolator if anyone has a part number for that it would be cool. Also any rubber or mounting hardware or parts for the rear shock. Like I said other than the rear spring top cups I don't want to use anything I have existing.

While I was on the phone with BMR I also ordered:
Rear control arm relocation kit
Adjustable pan hard bar
Shock tower brace
4pt bolt in sub-frame connectors (It's something new they just finished making last week)

So all in all my suspension should be pretty solid now. Compared to my stock with 115k miles on it bricks would be a better ride lol.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your going to lower it you could always do the heater hose mod.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Joenaz2000
Front spring lower isolator - Heater hose mod
Front spring upper isolator MOOG Part # K6573 (in the top of the strut mount)
I still need the Rear spring upper isolator if anyone has a part number for that it would be cool. Also any rubber or mounting hardware or parts for the rear shock.
The heater hose mod is for the top of the rear springs only and it deletes the upper isolator. You should use the factory front lower mount insulator piece; it helps the spring seat properly. I've never heard of anyone doing the heater hose mod on the lower front, although I ran without the lower front insulators for a while. It really added a lot of impact harshness.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Teching In

BMR suggested the heater hose for the front lower and said it actually isolates the spring better since it completely wraps the bottom coil as well as the end of the spring. They said if I do the heater hose on the rear it will lower the rear an additional .5-.75" more than the front. I would rather the car sit flat than the rear lower than the front and what the springs are going to lower it is iffy now. I'm in NY and the potholes and bumps suck. I'm also looking to do dual 2.75" or 3" exhaust and want to keep what little clearance I have back there.

Does anyone have the moog part number for the rear isolators or any manufacturer really. I'm pretty sure the GM part is GM part # 10290379 but it's getting me know where fast. I'm also thinking of doing the rear energy suspension bushing kit too since I'm not changing the control arms yet.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

If I understand correctly, the roads around NYC are pretty rough. If the Energy Suspension parts you mentioned are upper and lower control arm bushings, I'd recommend re-thinking that position. Brand new Moog bushings might be a better choice, unless you're racing the car.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Joenaz2000
BMR suggested the heater hose for the front lower and said it actually isolates the spring better since it completely wraps the bottom coil as well as the end of the spring. They said if I do the heater hose on the rear it will lower the rear an additional .5-.75" more than the front. I would rather the car sit flat than the rear lower than the front and what the springs are going to lower it is iffy now. I'm in NY and the potholes and bumps suck. I'm also looking to do dual 2.75" or 3" exhaust and want to keep what little clearance I have back there.
But if you're getting Koni SA's, you can mount the spring on the lower perch and use the heater hose mod in the back and the rake will be proper. I did the heater hose mod first and ended up like you said - the front was higher than the rear. The Konis on the lower perch restored the proper balance. The lower perch up front and HH mod in the rear compliment each other just about perfectly.

The aftermarket panhard bar you'll need for your exhaust will provide the lion's share of clearance. The HH mod won't affect it all that much.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

"I'm pretty sure the GM part is GM part # 10290379 but it's getting me know where fast"

that is the part #,google 'GM 10290379',plenty of sources !
Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks everybody for your replies and help.

I found the gm part I was looking for a moot or energy suspension poly part.

The roads are horrible but from everything I have read and heard I will still have a better ride with all the new parts and Polly bushings over the shot original suspension I have now with 115k on them. I think I would have noticed more of a rough ride if my stock suspension was in good shape.

So far almost everything is here. The hose for the front springs are energy suspension, the SFCs are still on back order. The last thing I'm missing is the rear upper isolator but Im considering revGTOs advise and ordering the hose for the rears and using the lower mount. I have to see if they have a lower mount tomorrow. I'm also weighing the energy suspension rear bushing kit over new control arms. I'll also snap some picks of everything and throw a list together just in case I forgot anything.

The BMR adjustable pan hard rod, tower brace and control arm relocation brackets, from upper isolator and poly hose for the hose mod got here Friday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Trans-Am Suspension Swap