Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing the panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing the panhard bar?

I need to remove the bar to put new oil into my strange 12 bolt rear. If I remove the panhard bar, will it throw the alignment off for the rear end. Can I just simple unbolt it from one part of the rear and let it hang, while I change the oil?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

You can unbolt and as long as you don't change the length of the PHB, it won't effect alignment. Just rebolt it when your done.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you're fine taking the panhard off or just unbolting one side... since things shift around a bit though, you may have to jack the rear end up/down to get it to line back up with the mounting holes again.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the body is on jackstands and not the axle when you unbolt it. With the weight on the axle, it can shift on the stands and could fall off. Also, it will be easier to change oil with the axle at full droop.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
Make sure the body is on jackstands and not the axle when you unbolt it. With the weight on the axle, it can shift on the stands and could fall off. Also, it will be easier to change oil with the axle at full droop.
I've heard you guys several times saying to jack the car by the "body", where exactly is it safe to jack the body of a car the technically doesnt have a frame?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the rear, I put the stands inboard of the LCA mounts on the body. Just "behind" them is a boxed "frame" section that I use for stands. Of course, I usually jack the car by the SFC's (SLP's make a great jacking rail). Just jack it up by the differential and set it on stands under the "boxed frame". Don't forget to block the front wheels so it can't slide off the stands.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
In the rear, I put the stands inboard of the LCA mounts on the body. Just "behind" them is a boxed "frame" section that I use for stands. Of course, I usually jack the car by the SFC's (SLP's make a great jacking rail). Just jack it up by the differential and set it on stands under the "boxed frame". Don't forget to block the front wheels so it can't slide off the stands.
I see, i always thought that boxed frame section would crush w/ the wieght of the car on it. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I got it out and back on just fine

Quick Reply: Removing the panhard bar?