Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will Billsteins help with wheel spin at launch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Will Billsteins help with wheel spin at launch?

I had major wheel hop. Since installing a P/H rod and LCA's a few months back, it eliminated the wheel hop. The T/A is a '99 with only 29,000 miles, however, this tells me the factory shocks wore out about 15,000 miles ago ... from my understanding.

The problem is that, instead of wheel hop, I seem to have wheel lightness that makes me spin out when launching and I couldn't hook on a friggin' rubber mat if I HAD to ... hehehe! Thankfully, at least the hop is gone, but, will a new set of HD Bilstein shocks that I ordered this morning keep the wheels to the pavement and help me to launch better?

Any opinions? Or anyone who has replaced their P/H bar and LCA's and experienced this lightness at launch. Maybe someone who got good results with new shocks?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will a new set of HD Bilstein shocks that I ordered this morning keep the wheels to the pavement and help me to launch better?
Probably not.
You might be more interested in an aftermarket torque arm.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Default Major difference not expected.

WOOOWWW!!!! I just changed the rear shocks from the factory stock to Heavy Duty Bilstein's. Wheel hop/lightness is totally gone now. The tires stick like never before. The front shocks go on tomorrow at the shop.

Before, when I used to brake sorta' suddenly at about 80-90 mph, the steering wheel would shake like crazy. Now, the rear shocks have TOTALLY eliminated that. The steering is smooth can be.

Those old shocks were not functioning, apparently. Anyway, I'm very happy with the purchase. I'll post tomorrow night on the completion of the installation of all four shock absorbers.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be surprised if this hurts your launching ability some, when you put on your front shocks. The Bilsteins are valved for road racing and handling more than launching and your weight transfer will suffer due to the way the rebound and extension are set.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Default Point taken.

I tried launching a few times last night and I launch pretty easy, anyways. With the new rear shocks, it dug out pretty well. As for the front shocks ... I want to push tight towards the ET endline and need nose to stay down, so, I think it will do better than the old factory shocks that were not functioning at all. When my TR cam goes in next week, I need a stable car. I know there are shocks out there that are made for drag racing, however, ride comfort and firmness were what my decision was based on ... for buying the HD Bilstein's. Thanks for your input and I'll be aware of what you said and will post the results here next week after I make a few Wednesday night pulls.