Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

00 z28 convert to all 4 corners dbl.adj. Coil over kit,,viking or qa-1

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00 z28 convert to all 4 corners dbl.adj. Coil over kit,,viking or qa-1

Want to convert over to all dbl. adj. coil over shocks, just not sure if I should go Viking or QA-1. Please let me know your opinion or experience...Thanks in advance...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought the Viking full 4 corner coilovers from Midwest Chassis. Great guys to talk to over the phone and they hooked me up with a really great deal. The quality of the coilovers and springs are top notch and I was really impressed. I haven't had much time to mess with getting them on yet, but should have time to get them on Sunday. They are double adjustable on all 4 corners, which is a huge plus. Not sure if you're an auto or M6, but having that kind of adjustability on my M6 car was the major reason I picked them. I also like the fact that I can adjust ride height. As far as bang for the buck, hard to beat Viking.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Vikings are the best deal going for these cars right now. They are double adjustable, direct bolt in with a wide choice of spring rates. Give me a call and I can walk you through them and discuss options. We have the best pricing on them available, and ship same day they are ordered in most cases.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PROSTREETZ
Want to convert over to all dbl. adj. coil over shocks, just not sure if I should go Viking or QA-1. Please let me know your opinion or experience...Thanks in advance...
Depends on what you want to do. If going fast in a strait line is all you care about them the QA1 or vikings would be fine. But if you care about handling or ride quality then a drag shock like the above would be far from ideal. If thats the case look into KW, Penski, or Ridetech.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Depends on what you want to do. If going fast in a strait line is all you care about them the QA1 or vikings would be fine. But if you care about handling or ride quality then a drag shock like the above would be far from ideal. If thats the case look into KW, Penski, or Ridetech.
The UMI autocross car does damn good not going straight with the Viking coilovers. They have spring rates for autocross and corner carving too, not just drag racing.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Teching In

it is a auto and is a street strip deal. Will not be auto crossing it at all. makes 400 rwhp with drag radials. Has a 3,500stall converter and drives great..just hate the ride with the lowering springs. want to drive out of state and be comfortable also....
Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Teching In

and I love it slammed....
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
The UMI autocross car does damn good not going straight with the Viking coilovers. They have spring rates for autocross and corner carving too, not just drag racing.
True, but the shock valving is still not ideal for handling, but still plenty good if his priority isn't handling.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28

True, but the shock valving is still not ideal for handling, but still plenty good if his priority isn't handling.
Yeah, was just trying to make the point that the Viking coilovers aren't just for drag racing. I think they are the perfect setup because they are great for fun on the street and strip, and with some adjusting can be made to ride great on the street. And with even more adjusting, can be made to handle pretty damn good; good enough to hold their own at the autocross events. For what the OP wants, they sound like your ticket.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, was just trying to make the point that the Viking coilovers aren't just for drag racing. I think they are the perfect setup because they are great for fun on the street and strip, and with some adjusting can be made to ride great on the street. And with even more adjusting, can be made to handle pretty damn good; good enough to hold their own at the autocross events. For what the OP wants, they sound like your ticket.
Except they are for drag racing.
They are a non-gas charged drag shock, exactly like the QA1s (even made by the same guy).
It has been said 1000 times now, just because a shock has "adjustments" doesn't mean it adjusts like other shocks do. And making a shock "stiff" does NOT mean it will truly handle well.
Lets not kid ourselves about the marketing behind the UMI car.
Sam Strano has driven the UMI car, and has stated his opinion on the Viking shocks. I think Ill listen to his opinion as he has valved shocks himself, driven a ton of different performance cars, and most importantly built a setup to win multiple national championships with, something no on else on here can claim (or come close to claiming even).
Once I see a 4th gen Fbody win Fstock auto-x on a national level with Vikings maybe Ill accept them as a decent shock (but I know that will never happen, as they are drag shocks and do not work well enough for that).
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, the OP isn't a professional autocross guy, and is looking for a street/strip setup, so it's really a mute point. For the average guy who's looking for adjustability, ride height adjustment, a setup that will provide great weight transfer, will work great for multiple different driving styles, and costs less than other setups, it's pretty hard to beat.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Except they are for drag racing.
They are a non-gas charged drag shock, exactly like the QA1s (even made by the same guy).
It has been said 1000 times now, just because a shock has "adjustments" doesn't mean it adjusts like other shocks do. And making a shock "stiff" does NOT mean it will truly handle well.
Lets not kid ourselves about the marketing behind the UMI car.
Sam Strano has driven the UMI car, and has stated his opinion on the Viking shocks. I think Ill listen to his opinion as he has valved shocks himself, driven a ton of different performance cars, and most importantly built a setup to win multiple national championships with, something no on else on here can claim (or come close to claiming even).
Once I see a 4th gen Fbody win Fstock auto-x on a national level with Vikings maybe Ill accept them as a decent shock (but I know that will never happen, as they are drag shocks and do not work well enough for that).
You wouldn't be good at poker. You NEVER show all your cards. Why not? Because it allows intelligent people to form a proper defense. So, in the spirit of a good internet argument I will give it a whirl. Sam, god love him, has a skewed view of reality when it comes to suspension. And why wouldn't he? He would be considered the upper echelon of the fbody suspension world. You agree because you stated his prestigious credentials in your response. So, if he is on that level, how could be expect him to be happy with anything but the best of the best? He wont be and you know it. Rise never said or implied vikings were that. Because we've now dug deeper we know the OP wants straightline traction so we know who is ultimately right here, and you even admitted vikings are for "drag racing" which is what OP is doing, so we agree there also. But to say they cant be adjust for reasonably better corner performance is silly. They would properly serve the need of 99% of fbody owners. But lets take that a step further, do the proper handling shocks like Penske, get installed on even 1% of all fbodies? How about even 0.1%? Even that id wonder about (and doubt), yet that's what Sam would like and prefer, and he is your resident expert and the bulk of your rebuttal.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The marketing behind the UMI autocross car is that your average 4th gen owner can buy a relatively inexpensive coilover shock and have an all around decent adjustable shock. I'll agree that they aren't the best shock for the application that we use it for, but they also aren't nearly the cost of a Penske, KW, Ridetech, JRi, etc. The average driver/Hobby-racer, non professional, would be perfectly happy to run Viking and save a lot of money. Not to fall into arguments with this statement, but Sam and other professionals that have driven the UMI auto-x cars at different events have more so been interested in having more rebound adjustment. Not necessarily that the shock was used in the wrong application. Viking is actually offering some higher valving with the Crusader shock line, aiming towards pro-touring and fast drag cars, to ease into the higher performance market.

To get back on track, OP - the more cost effective route for double adjustable is Viking. They are the same quality as QA1, but cheaper in the Double Adjustable option. They will likely suit your needs perfectly fine! If you have any questions feel free to call and ask or email me directly.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm after reading all this I guess I better call all my autocross/road course guys and tell them to pull their Vikings they have been having great success with off their cars :/

There is a lot more to it than shock valving guys. The big avantage of the Vikings is choosing spring rate. For most street/strip applications I will spec a spring rate combo of around a 300/150 rate. For handling applications, normally around a 550/200. Keep in mind, Viking has spring rates available from 80lbs-650lbs in 25lb increments, I can get you exactly where you need to be. The valving adjustment on the shock aid in the effective spring rate. They should not be relied on to "band-aid" lack of rate, but be able to properly control it. The Vikings have a very wide range of adjustability from very soft to very firm, and many positions in between. Again, if you want to hear your options and figures on them, just give me a call and I can go over them more in depth
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, the OP isn't a professional autocross guy, and is looking for a street/strip setup, so it's really a mute point. For the average guy who's looking for adjustability, ride height adjustment, a setup that will provide great weight transfer, will work great for multiple different driving styles, and costs less than other setups, it's pretty hard to beat.
I disagree.
For someone looking at a street/strip setup sure.
For someone looking at a simple street car no (bilstein or koni STR are way cheaper).
For someone looking at an autox/street setup no way (koni SA's or better).
For someone looking for an all around setup then Koni SA's or better again. And if someone is dead set on a cheaper coilover then look into ground control sleeves to put on the front shock, and the axle weight jack for the rear with even bilstein shocks.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You wouldn't be good at poker. You NEVER show all your cards. Why not? Because it allows intelligent people to form a proper defense.
Who says all my cards are showing

So, in the spirit of a good internet argument I will give it a whirl. Sam, god love him, has a skewed view of reality when it comes to suspension. And why wouldn't he? He would be considered the upper echelon of the fbody suspension world. You agree because you stated his prestigious credentials in your response. So, if he is on that level, how could be expect him to be happy with anything but the best of the best?
He recommends bilstiens, Koni STR, and even KYB's at times doesn't he? And those are budget shocks, far from "best of the best". So right there your argument is null. And heres the thing I will try and explain, its about the right part for the job, and a drag shock (just like a drag radial for example) is not the right part for handle well.

He wont be and you know it. Rise never said or implied vikings were that. Because we've now dug deeper we know the OP wants straightline traction so we know who is ultimately right here, and you even admitted vikings are for "drag racing" which is what OP is doing, so we agree there also. But to say they cant be adjust for reasonably better corner performance is silly. They would properly serve the need of 99% of fbody owners. But lets take that a step further, do the proper handling shocks like Penske, get installed on even 1% of all fbodies? How about even 0.1%? Even that id wonder about (and doubt), yet that's what Sam would like and prefer, and he is your resident expert and the bulk of your rebuttal.
Lets look at my example above about the drag radial. Would you recommend a drag radial over even a street tire for handling? No? But you can increase the tire pressure on the drag radial to make it stiffer, so it will handle better right? -Sound familiar? Its not about making it stiffer for better handling, it will still have inferior handling by design, the sidewalls are much softer, the tire is designed for launching. Same idea with the drag shocks. You can make them as "stiff" as you want, it will never feel the same, and if you have something good to compare it to it will never feel "right", its in the design, how they work, how the adjustments affect the piston speed. Don't get confused though this isn't about if something is "stiff" enough to handle, even if the vikings could come close to matching the dampening curve of a Koni SA it still wont feel the same or perform the same.
So for 99% of the fbody crowd an over inflated drag radial will be "ok" for handling, but does that mean it should be used? Especially if you can get a good street tire for the same price. No different here with the shocks. And Id be willing to bet the Koni SA's do a better job at launching then the Vikings do for handling.

For the other guys, as far as selecting custom spring rates, ground control has been doing this for years.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

He recommends bilstiens, Koni STR, and even KYB's at times doesn't he?
Couldn't tell ya, I rarely read his responses!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Rise.

Our '99 does a nice job at the auto-x, full road courses and street corner carving. It also hauls 4 of us from the shows to the hotel on its current Viking Warriors. This summer we'll be testing the Crusaders on the '99 as well.

I ran our Monte on the Vikings and almost won the Syracuse Nationals auto-x (lost the final shootout by a bumper - ahhhhhh!). The Camaro finished 4th. Both on drag shocks.

Zac answered PROSTREETZ's original question and I'd agree. Viking Warrior doubles would work great for that application.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda like arguing with a 3yr old kid

Plain and simple the Viking shocks will work great for this guy and most of the other streetable cars with entry level racing as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Thank you all for your facts and opinions. from what I have read here and performance shops I have spoke to...I am going to go with the Vikings coil over kit over the QA1's. I get the impression viking is a higher quality shock.Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 00 z28 convert to all 4 corners dbl.adj. Coil over kit,,viking or qa-1