Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing front springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing front springs/shocks

About I year ago installed I went ahead and installed my new springs and really things didnt go too bad except compressing the spring took a while. Well this weekened gotta go back now and install new shocks on the front. My question is to all of you that installed new front springs/shocks on your F-bodys did you use the spring compressors while the spring/strut assembly was on the car or did you manage to get the whole unit out first and then install the spring compressors? I always thought you had to install spring compressors while it was still attached to the car but according to this http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6 it looks as if they managed to compress the spring outside the car?? Someone shed some light on this for me.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be able to take off the spring/shock, as one assembly, off the car... and then you can apply the compressor(s) once its out.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is how I did it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116793
Old 06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Teching In

The first time I changed mine I put the compressor on while the shock/spring was on the car. After I got it apart and noticed the nut holding the spring on the shock, I felt kinda dumb because it was a pain doing it that way. You're ok to just remove the shock/spring unit from the car and then use the compressor. It is much easier! Good luck!

Ryan
Old 06-24-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried taking mine out as an assembly last night and could not do it...I must be doing something wrong...I've got the proper bolts loose, but there just isnt' enough play to get it out.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you pull the end links off of the swaybar?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, not on front...I was following some instructions, but I think they were written for the fastest possible way under perfect conditions...I just read those threads and the write up on "how to" and I see there are other things I should have removed....I'm about to head out and tackle it now.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
STF Veteran

I am getting ready to do my springs and shocks this weekend. Do you have any advice or anything I should look out for?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I am getting ready to do my springs and shocks this weekend. Do you have any advice or anything I should look out for?
Read Glitch's link.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read both articles, but followed the link above on LS1Howto.com....it was perfect, and included nice pics...

Make sure and have a new set of sway bar bolts handy...I busted one last night putting it all back together, and was able to walk into Autozone about 5 minutes before they closed so I was able to wrap the job up last night.

I didn't mess with trying to compress the springs myself, I took them to a GoodYear right by my house, and they did it for $24 and about 15minutes.

The end results is awesome though, I went with the Hotchkis springs. It dropped them exactly 1" and the car feels incredible now!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
I read both articles, but followed the link above on LS1Howto.com....it was perfect, and included nice pics...

Make sure and have a new set of sway bar bolts handy...I busted one last night putting it all back together, and was able to walk into Autozone about 5 minutes before they closed so I was able to wrap the job up last night.

I didn't mess with trying to compress the springs myself, I took them to a GoodYear right by my house, and they did it for $24 and about 15minutes.

The end results is awesome though, I went with the Hotchkis springs. It dropped them exactly 1" and the car feels incredible now!
I am sorry you had trouble but I am REALLY happy to learn about this stuff before I start. I am going to do my springs this weekend. I am going to buy a set of swaybar bolts tonight. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, make sure and do that...but get this, the write up above says the same thing...make sure and have a new set there.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

My car was lowered at less than 10,000 miles (in 2002, "brand new") and I didn't break them at that time. When I installed sway bars 10,000 more miles later, they snapped off. If is not "if", but "when" they will break and "when" is usually "now". Get spares.

Be safe!

Quick Reply: Installing front springs/shocks