Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pads - Sponsors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads - Sponsors

Hi Guys,

Have not been on here in a while. Long story short I bought an 02 SS back in 2011 from FXGS. Original Post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...m-ss-fxgs.html

Article from GM High Performance Tech:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...s/viewall.html

Car has the c5 conversion done - from looking through the files it was purchased from the vendor "speedspecialty.com" - quick search leads me to believe they were a vendor on here - but are no longer. The actual article in the magazine has the build list which states the car has Hawk pads. My rotors are also drilled & Slotted; not sure who they are by.

I have no idea when the kit was done under which owner - so I am not sure just how old the pads are, or which model Hawks were installed. What I do know is they dust like crazy. I am Weary of going with another Hawk product due to the dusting, but for all I know the technology on the composites have come a long way since the original install date.

Car is used as a weekend driver - aggressive street / maybe a couple trips down the track. Looking for a sponsor on here to purchase a nice set of pads from. Willing to entertain ceramic as well - either way seems like many people are talking Hawk / Stoptech / Carbotech etc. between this site and some of the vette forums I was peeking around on.

Hope I have put this thread in the right place. Most my time is spent in the diesel world so I am familiar with these forums; but every site seems to have its way of doing things.

Thanks guys - any opinions on the best pads to match the C5 conversion would be appreciated.

Rob
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Ferodo DS2500. I believe the PN is FCP1553 for the C5 caliper.

Followed by Carbotech AX6 or Porterfield R4-S.

You want something that works when cold, doesn't dust too bad, and doesn't squeal? Any of those are a step up over the Hawk HPS or Stoptech Performance pads, which are a step up over the ceramic pads. Brake coefficient is more like HP+ without the on/off feel or dusting with any of those pads.

Ferodo first as it's the best overall pad you can buy in terms of performance and streetability. The AX6 is an autocross pad and works well when cold and has tremendous bite. It dusts a little more. And then I'd rate Porterfield R4-S third here as it works well, but doesn't seem to last when you push it and may have the least amount of cold grip.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

^^^I second the above, but I never had good luck/results from the Porterfield pads.

Even if I keep the stock LS1 f body setup up front (and don't do a C5/6 conversion, or Wilwoods), I am going to try the AX-6es next.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The Perterfields I experienced were pretty junky. No bite, hot or cold.

Carbotech makes awesome pads. For this particular application I would suggest the 1521 compound from them. The AX6 are great, though they can be a little aggressive and dusty. The 1521 is more street friendly, which is seems is what the OP needs.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

off topic

Your car is amazing!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
off topic

Your car is amazing!!!
Thanks Man. Sad Truth is when I bought it in '11 I lived in an apartment in the city and had it stored over an hour away since I had no garage. I have barely put 3,000 miles on her since purchasing. Bought a house last year - and all my savings went towards it. I am finally getting around to poking around with the SS. Considered selling it - but the market for these things is disgusting!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 79_T/A

Carbotech makes awesome pads. For this particular application I would suggest the 1521 compound from them. The AX6 are great, though they can be a little aggressive and dusty. The 1521 is more street friendly, which is seems is what the OP needs.
After looking at the Carbotech web page - I am in agreement with the 1521 compound. Seems like they would dust less.

Still am interested in seeing what people recommend for ceramic.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Jake - Thanks for the suggestions - appreciate it.

Any opinions on ceramic over compound?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

All carbotech pads are ceramic based. A win in my book. The dust they produce is very fine, and doesn't stick to wheels. Even their XP race compounds are very easy to clean, which is rare in a brake pad with such high stopping power.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I think I will go with the carbotechs - anyone recommend a vendor on here?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 79_T/A

Went with your suggestion on the 1521 - installed over the weekend, love them so far. Don't have a lot of road time yet but they had great stopping power (trying my best to do a decent bedding procedure but not all too worried about it) so I have not done any aggressive stops yet. They were fine cold, little to no dust, and no noise. Will update as I get some more time on them.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Sponsors