Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How To:Front Str.t assembly w/ SS springs and Moog everything else(Finalized 6/5/15)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I addressed that in Post #18 right above the last pic. In the write up I say while the spring is compressed to tighten the locknut enough to touch the isloator, the orientate the shock correctly, then free the spring, then finally go back and and tighten the locknut completely using a 1/4 inch open ended wrench on the shock shaft and an adjustable wrench on the locknut. Even with the spring decompressed you can still tighten the locknut

I would assume if it's not tightened then when the car rebounds the slack in the untightened (loose) screw would cause the assembly to rattle.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Launching!

This needs to be a sticky........
Old 06-07-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Moog dogbone will not fit in the OEM mount either since it's substantively smaller, FYI.

Originally Posted by ROLEXrifleman
in regards to the upper mounts being different sizes.... I had never heard of that till posted in this thread. But as can clearly be seen is correct, the Moogs are a hair smaller in size!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the write up. I saved this for when i start my install.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Installed BMR Springs and Koni Shocks on my Sons Firebird this weekend what a difference in the ride and look of the car. This thread was a help, still think it should be a sticky!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU sir...are the man! I just ordered a set of Koni STR.Ts and want to use my stock springs. But I started thinking that it would be a good idea to use new parts and just put the new assembly after taking the old ones out. I'm going to order stock springs anyhow so this is great.

So the Moog mount being smaller was not an issue? I'm assuming that you installed the new shock/spring setup into the car already. Also, where can I dispose of the old assembly? Do you guys just take them to Autozone, etc and they dispose of it? I'm really not looking forward to dealing with that rusted nut. Another reason I want new parts. Sorry for the stupid noob questions. I have only done brakes, the upgrades in my sig (except the weld on SFCs), and stereo equipment so far.

I'm hoping to have all necessary parts by the time the weather starts to cool down a bit and I can take my time doing this over a weekend or two (or hell even three). I am so glad the search function found this post. It is a life saver.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am almost done doing the same thing. I also did all the bushing for the upper, lower control arms and the sway bars. Slowly but surely, it will get done. I assume youre getting some different upper control arms......
Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread should be a Sticky.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I purchase some Koni STR Ts front and rear, are these additional parts/setup a requirement? Car is a 98 SS with Eibach Pro springs currently and autoparts store shocks.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Teching In

This is an excellent thread that I'll be referencing for my Koni STR.T and Strano spring installation in the next week or two. My Z28 has always been garaged and has low miles, so I may try to reuse the original shock mount parts. However, I'll probably order spare parts in advance so I have them on hand. One thing that may help some is a bill of materials rather than trying to read the part numbers off the boxes:
(1) Moog K6516 Front Left Upper Strut Mount Kit
(1) Moog K6517 Front Right Upper Strut Mount Kit
(2) Moog K6573 Strut Bearing Plate Insulator
(2) Moog K80927 Lower Spring Seat and Spring Pan (spring pan is not used - as mentioned in the thread as its ID is too small)

The Rock Auto price for the above (6) pieces with shipping is around $151 as of today. Amazon has the same parts for $163 with free shipping. While Amazon is $12 more I might be able to return them for no charge if I don't need them.

Also, my local O'Reilly's wants $49.99(?!) to rent the spring compressors, so I went ahead and bought a set of Craftsman spring compressors (P/N 49289) for $50 with a lifetime warranty. Seems like a no-brainer since I might be needing them for another vehicle soon anyway.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did this exact thing with BMR springs but I purchased all my parts from summit racings ebay. free shipping on orders over $100 bucks and they had the lowest prices for all the Moog pieces as well.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm still trying to piece together all my parts as I'm also looking to tackle the bushings as well. I am debating on whether to get a set of spring compressors or just use a hydraulic press at the hobby store on base.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Just curious, would it be a good idea to fill the entire void of the upper shock mount with silicone caulk to prevent this? Sure seems like a cheap way to preserve the nut & threads on the upper mount and prevent crud from getting in there, at minimum maybe a bead of caulk around the edge to seal it from the elements:

Name:  55_zpskjow2fiy.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  663.2 KB
Old 11-15-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Mc
Just curious, would it be a good idea to fill the entire void of the upper shock mount with silicone caulk to prevent this? Sure seems like a cheap way to preserve the nut & threads on the upper mount and prevent crud from getting in there, at minimum maybe a bead of caulk around the edge to seal it from the elements:

I've read it's best to fill it up with some synthetic grease.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pictures are easier to explain than with words alone...

I put antiseize on the nut and threads (white) and I also put antiseize on the isolator (red) but you could put synthetic/marine grease on the red portion as well. You could put grease over the entire isolator and part of the mount if you so desire, but I don't think it's really needed that much
Old 11-17-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard of putting a good amount of anti-seize or some sort of rust preventative compound in that area. That's what I plan on doing. Never thought about caulking though.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks to ROLEXRifleman for this how-to! As of today My Z28 now has Koni STR.Ts and Strano springs front and back. I reused the OEM shock hardware instead of Moog parts, which were still in great shape. I used plenty of anti-seize and synthetic grease in the right spots. The Delphi shock isolator needed some grinding to fit into the Koni spring seat, just like the Moog part. A pass or two on the grinder did the trick. I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Teching In

OP, how do you like the ride? Im in the process of putting together the same setup, coming from stock struts and sagging eibach springs. Before I get lit up, I bought it that way 6 month ago, just now had the time to fix it.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Konvinced89
OP, how do you like the ride? Im in the process of putting together the same setup, coming from stock struts and sagging eibach springs. Before I get lit up, I bought it that way 6 month ago, just now had the time to fix it.
Ya might get lit up calling them struts.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Ya might get lit up calling them struts.
Fairly similar design, if you ask me. I read somewhere that they're some type of coilover. Other than pulling the trans, changing brakes out, and what I just did, I am a complete T/A rookie. I just came from a lightly modded 03 GTP in search of a faster, more iconic Pontiac. Got what I paid for, no question.

Quick Reply: How To:Front Str.t assembly w/ SS springs and Moog everything else(Finalized 6/5/15)