Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Troubleshooting the most annoying squeak...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting the most annoying squeak...

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your replies to this. Gonna try to be as short, but yet descriptive as possible.

EDIT: Car is a 2001 Camaro SS with no aftermarket suspension parts except for KYB Adjustable Shocks and struts.

Squeak is in Front Passenger Side (right) wheel area.

Installed new brakes May 6th (Rotors & Pads, all drilled and slotted all the way around with ceramic pads and zinc plated anti-rust coating)
Noticed Squeak on May 8th when riding. Squeak was very faint then became louder.
May 13th, rode next to a friend at 40mph who heard it and it is definitely rotational. Most likely the brakes.
May 22nd, put about 1000 miles on the car since then. Called the company I ordered brakes from (maxbrakes.com) to get a replacement sent out.
May 26th, received a new rotor and pad for the passenger side front. Haven't had time to get it on until Saturday.
June 6th, had the new combo installed. Squeak sounds exactly the same. Tried a couple hard stops. Doesn't make a difference.

What could possibly be causing this? It definitely sounds rotational. It's at it's loudest from 20-40mph and you can hear every second *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak*. Goes away completely when the brakes are applied no matter how lightly.

Any input is appreciated. Let me know if I missed any details that might help. Thanks guys.

Last edited by JHartlovePDX; 06-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Jack the front up and spin the wheel by hand. It should spin relatively freely, if not it could be a stuck caliper. If it makes the noise try and pinpoint it. The fact that it goes away when you apply the brakes means it's probably something with your calipers.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it in a few and let you know what I find out.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

did you spray the backside of the brake pads with a lubricant (ex. anti-squeal)?

This MAYBE the problem.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Default Squeaky brakes

It can be simple things that can cause this problem. I drive a 98' Z28 and have squeaky brakes. I also own a 08' Jeep Wrangler that had the same problem. I changed out the rotors and pads, still had a squeak. Then I changed the calipers, squeak was gone. You say you bought a new bake kit, and still have squeaking, so maybe it's the front that's squeaking, and not the rear, or vice versa. Point is, it's more likely the calipers front or rear.
Before wasting money on something it's not, make sure that (for example with the front brakes) the section of the spindle where the caliper bracket is bolted to is clean. If you painted your spindle like I did, it could cause your caliper not to sit right. Down to about .005 of an inch off could cause a squeak, so be cautious. Also make sure it is bled completely, I believe this could cause the problem.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting the most annoying squeak...