Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

So I bought a shirt........

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokid91
I dont have a 4th gen anymore but if you plan on racing get beefier hubs.

Which hub is... was that?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Which hub is... was that?
Theres a timken box behind but that may have been the replacement
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMI had a long running thread that I used to follow. This is hidden in there...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post19338543

IIRC, they were using Moog hubs. Albeit *I think* they held up a long time (they may have swapped out worn hubs a couple times since they started running the car, I'm not completely sure.) If you're driving that hard though, a well-engineered hub is well worth the price when it comes to a possible accident like that lurking in the middle of a corner...

Last edited by Corvett z07; 01-12-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

So I'll start this by saying I am carrying the HPE hub/wheel bearing setup:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=219&ModelID=7

I'll additionally add that I'm working on an alternate solution as well that's a bit less money and proven using an adapter to run certain high end Corvette hubs. Should have that ready for spring, important to me because now that I have an F-body again, I don't want to get hurt either. And damn, after years of being away from the car, and having C6's, it's comical how small the stock hubs are.

Stay tuned.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a set of the chromoly adapters from him and the SKF X tracker (C5/C6) hubs just before Christmas. This setup fits the C4 corvettes as well. My Superlite Coupe has C4 hubs front and back. Only works on the front though.

Last edited by KENS80V; 01-18-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So I'll start this by saying I am carrying the HPE hub/wheel bearing setup:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=219&ModelID=7

I'll additionally add that I'm working on an alternate solution as well that's a bit less money and proven using an adapter to run certain high end Corvette hubs. Should have that ready for spring, important to me because now that I have an F-body again, I don't want to get hurt either. And damn, after years of being away from the car, and having C6's, it's comical how small the stock hubs are.

Stay tuned.
Will these be similar to Jim's adapters? The issue with the adapters and hoosiers hubs is they are all limited runs via demand. Jim made a second batch after I had the first batch made but its tough market to sell to. I would love to hold on to a set incase I wanna get back in ESP.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There isn't much magic in making the adapters. I mean the hubs have to fit, and then bolt to the car. I have X-trackers too.

I'm going to try and keep them in stock as much as possible once I have them done. FWIW, I have never laid eyes on even in a picture of the other adapters. But of course they are going to look very much alike given where they go and how they fit.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont have a 4th gen anymore but if you plan on racing get beefier hubs.

https://i.imgur.com/2Ly9tRs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/We0A3UU.jpg
Toledo has eaten a few 4th gens in its day.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Working on a group buy on frrax for this solution.

Copy paste from my thread.

I have been fighting hub issues for the past couple years but this year has been especially bad for me. I killed 3 hub over the NJ Pro weekend and am looking to resolve this issue once and for all. I am looking to get some adapters made by a member on here in order to run some C5 SKF x-tracker hubs and retain ABS. So here's the pitch he needs to make them in batches of 8 and currently is about to make another batch if 2 or more people are willing to purchase these.

The kit price is $475 shipped to US. Includes adapters and all hardware. Does not include SKF hubs or brake plenums.

Install manual can be found here: http://rrsusp.com/

If we can get 4 guys to pony up 1/2 down for a deposit, he can do $450 per kit, shipped to US48

Here is a photo of another members kit finished up.

Here are the hubs they are able to be shipped with longer studs via Hoosier PE to run with these adapters
http://shop.hoosierpe.com/SKF-HD-Racing-Hubs_c93.htm

So lets start a list for purchase

-Camarokid91
-v7guy
-???
-???
-???
No, I didn't see it. Now I get it. Cool part. By they way, I have the SKF hubs too, $350 each. Listed on the site under Corvette.
There isn't much magic in making the adapters. I mean the hubs have to fit, and then bolt to the car. I have X-trackers too.

I'm going to try and keep them in stock as much as possible once I have them done. FWIW, I have never laid eyes on even in a picture of the other adapters. But of course they are going to look very much alike given where they go and how they fit.
I respect and appreciate you, Sam... but geez...
Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by dojob
I respect and appreciate you, Sam... but geez...
I guess I didn't recall it. Ok, how about this. I have never had my hands on them. Honestly my bad. I don't recall seeing that, at all. I know they existed but I've never held them in my hands or personally seen a set (I know some cars that have them on, but haven't seen those either as they are hidden behind the rotors. I didn't even recall the pricing. Oh well, lots goes through my head every day (I had 75 voicemails alone when I got back from my holiday), hard to keep track of everything after all these years.

Having been around this enough, and having more than a few things borrowed from me, I ain't gonna feel guilty about it. Especially since we are also investigating if there is any way to make a standard Corvette hub (non X-tracker) work. There is a difference in the back of the hub that makes they stand a bit further out. If I can make that work (maybe even with a different part number) it's something I want to do so folks aren't stuck with only the X-tracker.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I didn't recall it. Ok, how about this. I have never had my hands on them. But having been around this enough, and having more than a few things borrowed from me, I ain't gonna feel guilty about it. Especially since we are also investigating if there is any way to make a standard Corvette hub (non X-tracker) work. There is a difference in the back of the hub that makes they stand a bit further out. If I can make that work (maybe even with a different part number) it's something I want to do so folks aren't stuck with only the X-tracker.
Fair enough

Looking forward to the pair of adapters
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was just wondering. You maybe able to save engineering time by ask Jim if you can produce them or buy the schematic. He's CMC/AI racer who has been making them on the side for a couple year for other racers. I don't even think he has a 4th gen anymore lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess I didn't recall it. Ok, how about this. I have never had my hands on them. Honestly my bad. I don't recall seeing that, at all. I know they existed but I've never held them in my hands or personally seen a set (I know some cars that have them on, but haven't seen those either as they are hidden behind the rotors. I didn't even recall the pricing. Oh well, lots goes through my head every day (I had 75 voicemails alone when I got back from my holiday), hard to keep track of everything after all these years.

Having been around this enough, and having more than a few things borrowed from me, I ain't gonna feel guilty about it. Especially since we are also investigating if there is any way to make a standard Corvette hub (non X-tracker) work. There is a difference in the back of the hub that makes they stand a bit further out. If I can make that work (maybe even with a different part number) it's something I want to do so folks aren't stuck with only the X-tracker.
Maybe I missed something, but I went as far as buying a base C5 hub and getting 90% done with making an adapter myself but like you said, the base hub and X tracker must be different because I did not see an adapter working for the base hub. I made models and manufacturing prints but at the end of the day it was not financially smart to have a machine shop make ONE set for me...Jim's adapter (shown above) have already went through R&D and have plenty of positive results from people using them...therefore I just bought a set myself.

IMO (before actually having a base and SKF hub in my hands) the base hub has a larger OD hub on the backside that must be taller which does not allow Jim's style adapter work WHILE KEEPING THE STOCK TRACK WIDTH.

But you are right, it's not rocket science. It's a 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapter. But when I saw the cost Jim sells them for it was a no brainer to throw money to him. Sometimes there is no point to reinvent the wheel. One less project you will have to deal with being busy as you are.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dojob
Fair enough

Looking forward to the pair of adapters
They already exist...contact Jim. Spend the money to run the SKF's and be done with it. I've come across your build and you strike me as no-nonsense wrencher that will smartly pay for good products.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smitty2919
They already exist...contact Jim. Spend the money to run the SKF's and be done with it. I've come across your build and you strike me as no-nonsense wrencher that will smartly pay for good products.
Agreed. Jim and his product are great. Follow them over on Frrax. X-trackers are what I will get when my hubs go
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a heads up, Jim is having another batch of 6 made. The email he sent me about 10 days ago he mentioned two sets were already spoken for and I just hit him up for the 3rd. If anybody is interested I would shoot him an email to the address earlier in this post soon.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

How close are the hubs off the front of a silverado? I know the truck is 6 lug but thats an easy fix.. Just curious..
Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim is the man, judt did a couple events with my SFK's and so happy. No play at all and ABS finally works consistently. The adapters themselves are a piece of art...

Old 03-30-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
How close are the hubs off the front of a silverado? I know the truck is 6 lug but thats an easy fix.. Just curious..
I don't think it's as easy as you think.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
When it comes to safety, just go with the proven route. These hubs/adapters have been around for a while and just plain work. And no, I have no affiliation with Jim or these adapters.

What sold me is people running a lot stickier tires than I can afford for years with zero issues in more extreme conditions than I will.

Sometime it's not worth reinventing the wheel. You can also keep a spare OEM style MOOG hub with you and keep replacing them but that will get old and will be a band-aid.

Quick Reply: So I bought a shirt........