Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bolt-In Subframe Connectors - Jack Point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt-In Subframe Connectors - Jack Point?

So I have some UMI bolt-in subframe connectors on a 2000 Camaro and was curious if anyone uses these as a jack point for rear wheels? They are right up against the notch in front of the rear tire. I started to jack on it with a rag and the car started to go up but then there was a weird sound, so I stopped and let it down.

I also have a watts link, so jacking on the diff is not possible with my current jack.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

When I had bolt-in style SLP sfcs, (which I had welded in as well) I used the whole rectangular section box rail as a jacking point, as they were strong enough for it, until they rusted out from the inside and I just plasma cut them off completely (since Sam {Strano} claimed they were ONLY good as jacking points and did nothing AT ALL to help the unibody's rigidity except add DEAD weight!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't plan on supporting it by the subframe connectors, but I've used it as a jacking rail when there aren't many other options.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I still jack mine up under the rear end but use the SFC's by putting the jack stands under them. Work good for that.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

what does strano recommend for sfcs
Old 06-16-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the feedback! I can wedge a jack with a small saddle onto the regular jacking point, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up with by placing the jack directly on the subframe connector (don't want to gouge the pretty red powder coat either). I'll try it again and see if I can track down the sound - could have been just a normal creak.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need to jack it up with the SFC's, jack in the middle and raise the whole side of the car
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
what does strano recommend for sfcs
He generally does NOT recommend SFCs for 4th gens, but if you insist, he will probably sell you the UMIs.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrEddie
Thanks for the feedback! I can wedge a jack with a small saddle onto the regular jacking point, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up with by placing the jack directly on the subframe connector (don't want to gouge the pretty red powder coat either). I'll try it again and see if I can track down the sound - could have been just a normal creak.
Buy a urethane jack pad cover, and jack stand covers and you'll have no worries about damage the red powder coated finish.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Once the mechanic used the sub frame connectors as a jack point, he put 2 pieces (one on each side) of wood which appeared to be 4x4 along the length of the sub frame connectors, no harm was done.

Quick Reply: Bolt-In Subframe Connectors - Jack Point?