Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best type of brake pad for quiet, smooth driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best type of brake pad for quiet, smooth driving?

I've been searching for info on brake pads, but all the questions seem to be directed to either low brake dust, or increased brake performance. I'm more interested in the the type of brake pad that will be quietest and feel the smoothest while driving, I don't care about dust and stock performance is ok. I have a 2004 GTO, and I just drive it to work which is about 3 miles away, and me and my wife go out in it on weekends, so I don't put many miles on it. We do like to take trips to Cripple Creek, Colorado occasionally, so I need decent brakes for the mountains. I'm about to check the front brakes and replace the pads if they need it (rotors too if they look bad), and I'm going to get some parts from either Autozone or O'Reilly's with the lifetime replacement. Should I go with ceramic or semi-metallic? any opinion on which store?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just put Hawk HPS pads and new rotors on and noticed that they are quieter and smoother than my old stock type brakes. Less brake dust and seat of the pants feels like they stop better too.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haven't compared any brake pads personally, Hawk HPS seems to be a great all around choice here. I have Posi-Quiets on my work car and I really have nothing to compare them to but they are 1. cheap 2. they feel very linear with a soft initial bite and a great bite when you hit the pedal down 3. they are ceramic and virtually silent with no squeal that I can think of
Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info guys, it helps make things a bit clearer. After doing a lot more searching I've come to the conclusion that it might be better to use ceramic pads when replacing the rotor too, otherwise they might be noisy (maybe). So, I guess if I have to replace the rotors I'm going ceramic, otherwise semi-metallic. But first, looks like I'm going to have to get a low profile jack, apparently a standard floor jack won't work on a GTO.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive up on some 2x4's for some extra clearance.

Quick Reply: Best type of brake pad for quiet, smooth driving?