Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Z06 Caliper Question

Old 06-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Caliper Question

I am just installed new Z06 calipers on my 2000SS. They seem to bolt right up. I am using the F-body caliper brackets (had them sand blasted and painted) and pads (new Hawk HPS). There seems to be about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the mounting ears of the calipers and the pins when they are unbolted (with the caliper just sitting on the bracket over the pads). When you tighten up the pin bolts the pins get pulled out of the caliper bracket the 1/8-1/4 inch. I am wondering if this is OK or should I be useing the Z06/C5 pins? Are they any longer than the stock f-body pins?

I'm thinking when the pads wear that the pins could end up being pulled out of the brakets by an 1/2 inch or so which I wouldn't think is good.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think once you actually cycle the brakes it will all be OK.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I've said in other threads, the C5/Z06 caliper has about 1/4" more space between the outer ears and the caliper piston. This is because the C5/Z06 rotor is significantly wider than the F-Body.

Using the F-Body rotor will cause more "extension" of the guide pins and pistons to take up this space. The guide pins for the C5 and F-Body are the same.

For your application (C5/Z06 calipers on stock F-body brake parts), this is normal. As the pads get thinner and thinner, it MIGHT become more of an issue. But I've never heard of any failure or issue. Just keep your eye on it.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx Mitch. I thought I had read something on this site about this but wanted to check. Thx for the response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Caliper Question