Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Viking DA coilovers UPDATED Track pics/video

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Viking DA coilovers UPDATED Track pics/video

I finally got around to installing my Viking coilovers. Fronts went in very smooth. Rears were a pain in the *** with the MWC mounts. There isn't enough room around the upper shock mounting area for the bracket to get in there and tighten up the bracket and then bolt the shock into it. Other than that the install wasn't bad. In order to get the ride height where I wanted it the rear springs had to be almost all the way down. It's this ok? The spring is completely free and flops around with the suspension unloaded. There is probably an inch of space between the cup and the top of the spring when it's unloaded. Is this normal. Rear springs are 175s.

Last edited by b0b; 11-22-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, the spring shouldn't be flopping around.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:10 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

It doesn't when you set the car on the ground obviously
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That spring being 175lb and 14" tall will make it difficult to not have the spring flop around at droop. We would use no greater than 12" in our kits to avoid that particular situation. It won't be an issue other than having to make sure it is seated when you lower the car off the lift/jack stands every time.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 AM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a common issue with coil-over setups. If you have a spring that is so light on spring rate or length *for your particular application* to where it requires the spring to be all the way up on the lower mount height adjustment then you have the wrong spring. The only thing a 12" will do for spring for the OP is raise the lower mount up a couple inches.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b0b
I finally got around to installing my Viking coilovers. Fronts went in very smooth. Rears were a pain in the *** with the MWC mounts. There isn't enough room around the upper shock mounting area for the bracket to get in there and tighten up the bracket and then bolt the shock into it. Other than that the install wasn't bad. In order to get the ride height where I wanted it the rear springs had to be almost all the way down. It's this ok? The spring is completely free and flops around with the suspension unloaded. There is probably an inch of space between the cup and the top of the spring when it's unloaded. Is this normal. Rear springs are 175s.

Upper mount bracket? I thought they were using a stud through the original shock hole? Has this been changed?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine from MWC were the stud through the original shock hole.

OP, mine does the same thing in the rear. When the suspension is unloaded, the spring is free. When the car is off the jack-stands and on the ground, the spring is seated in there nice and tight. My car sits a lot lower than yours does, but my bottom cup is adjusted higher up on the shock than yours is. My rear spring rate is also 175lbs.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

I wanted stud through the hole but I got sent the wrong ones. The one on the right is the type I have for the rears.

It's to convert to MWCs spherical mounts rather than stock stud style. They gave me a deal on the mounts so I just went that route. Nothing wrong with them just hard mount the upper ones. Overall I'm still happy
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still can't believe your car sits up that high in the rear and the rear spring/perch is that low on the shock.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:44 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Im not sure..?? I also thought that it should be able to go lower if I wanted. I don't really need it to be any lower in the back but its still weird that the spring has to be down that far just to get to the point in that pic above?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b0b
I wanted stud through the hole but I got sent the wrong ones. The one on the right is the type I have for the rears.

It's to convert to MWCs spherical mounts rather than stock stud style. They gave me a deal on the mounts so I just went that route. Nothing wrong with them just hard mount the upper ones. Overall I'm still happy

You will be much happier with the spherical mounts than the stud mount. The trick to the mount is to assemble the shock to the mount then install it to the car and tighten the stud that hold it is. This is how i did the ones on mine. Was pretty easy that way

As far as sitting so high, the 175 spring rate is probably what is causing this. I have 150's and had to run mine down a good bit to get it down where I wanted it. 175 is too high for the rear
Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Yes.. lol after a few hours of fighting with it we finally figured that out. It wasn't bad after we got the method down. I talked with MWC on the phone a few times prior to ordering and told them all about my car and my goals. 175 is what they recommended for the rear so I naturally didn't argue and went with their recommendations.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

yeah. That's a long standing argument I've had with them. Along with the stud mount thing. Oh well.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by b0b
Yes.. lol after a few hours of fighting with it we finally figured that out. It wasn't bad after we got the method down. I talked with MWC on the phone a few times prior to ordering and told them all about my car and my goals. 175 is what they recommended for the rear so I naturally didn't argue and went with their recommendations.
What's your tire height?

I ordered the same coilovers, just curious as I might see this situation as well..

So 150lb spring will solve this problem?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

In the pic of the car above it is on 26" ET drags. Front is 275 40 17
Old 08-10-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I got 150s and the stud mount. None of these issues with mine. Im pretty sure it's not cool to have a bouncing spring at full droop. Whether it will hurt or not I wouldnt like it.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just for reference, here is mine with the 175lb springs in the rear. Again, my lower spring cup is sitting quite a bit higher than yours.

Name:  0606151856b%203_zpswpxn1ub5.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  485.6 KB

Name:  0606151855%204_zpsll4loube.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  716.5 KB
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

When going over vehicle details with our customers we have to rely on the information given to us. Mind you 14x150 spring is the most common rear spring that we use when a customer tells us they have a full weight vehicle. Spring rate and length is determined by what the car is used for, weight mods, and type of rearend(shock mount). As for the spring not being loaded when the suspension is unloaded doesn't affect anything and not uncommon. Some shock manufactures have holes in the upper cup so you can tie the cup and spring together and hold the upper cup in with a clip.

To answer your question yes it is okay for that spring to be all the way down, it doesn't care where it is at on the threads. As for running a 12" spring to solve the problem it would have the same effect as a 14" spring would when having the suspension unloaded because with a shorter spring you add a stiffer rate. Keep in mind we setup shocks and springs per customer, not to say that this 14x175 package that the OP has is normal...because it is not.

As for stud mount versus bearing/clevis upper mount. We have been one of the go to's when ordering shocks for drag racing for a very long time, and have been doing rear coil-over conversions longer than anyone. I would say 95% or more have all been stud mount upper for the 3rd and 4th gen F-body cars. If it was an issue it would of been discussed over and over again but no one complains of issues. We have customers such as Brian Black running a stud mount upper coil-over running 1.1x 60s, as well as many other customers with streetable cars going 1.2-1.4 60's with our stud mounted coil over rears. MWC offers both stud and spherical mounts for the shock combos on just about any application, and depending on the customers needs are will determine that particular shock and spring package will be setup as.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

A stock style stud mount is what I asked for when I placed my order. Shocks arrived and they were the spherical mount ones.

As for the rear springs. I described my car in as much detail as posible over the phone including weight, hp, rear end, rear gear, clutch/trans, tire size , my best track times to date, and my future plans.. At the end of all that a 175x14 is what I was told should be "perfect for me".

I'm not worried about the spring being "free" while at full droop. I can't say I like it but if it's a common thing then I'm not gonna worry about it. So far the shocks are working good and the car feels good so I'm ok with everything.

Quick Reply: Installed Viking DA coilovers UPDATED Track pics/video