Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension squeak. .....can't find it, what am I forgetting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension squeak. .....can't find it, what am I forgetting?

Hi, I have a squeak on the front drivers side that's about to drive me nuts. It's a 99 ws6 w/ 102k miles on it. The squeaking sounds like little birds chirping, I only hear it at lower speeds driving in parking lots, pulling in driveway, etc. and I can't confirm if it's there at higher speeds. It's actually kinda embarrassing. Happens whether I'm braking or not. I can reproduce the sound by jumping on drivers door jamb are.

It started a few months after I installed koni str.t shocks, strano springs, and moog upper mount stuff. I just finished up replacing upper/lower control arm ball joints (moog), upper/lower control arm bushings (moog), sway bar poly bushings w/endlinks (es), inner/outer tie rod ends (moog). It's not relevant but I replaced the rear control arm bushings too. Knowing I have a squeak, everything received plenty of grease.

After all of this, the squeak is still there! Is there anything I'm missing that could be causing this? Could the shock be doing this?

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Name:  20150809_190759-1_zpshjlktstz.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  159.8 KB

Last edited by blueday; 08-30-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my sway bar D bushings squeak on me (es as well.) My problem was not the middle of the D where the sway bar went through but at this part >D of the bushing, where it is sandwiched with the metal mount. Poly is a squeakfest on the sway bars if they aren't kept greased
Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Generally when I am working with someone that has a front end squeak that can be reproduced from bouncing the car up and down it turns out to be the sway bar bushings. If you can spray a little WD40 or something similar in the front sway bar bushings and see if the noise goes away temporarily. Also what kind of grease did you use to lube the poly sway bar bushings?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I used a marine grease (lucas) on everything, I could. Messy, but I was hoping it would be effective. I greased inside the sway bar bushings and outside before I assembled. I also greased between the endlink bushings and washers. I double checked everything to make sure it was tight (with suspension was loaded).

The squeak was there before I replaced the sway bar bushings and endlinks. I greased the stock bushings and endlinks before I changed everything and that didn't help. I tried wd-40 and pb blast before I took everything apart with no quiet results.

Could this be a wheel bearing by any chance? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blueday
I used a marine grease (lucas) on everything, I could. Messy, but I was hoping it would be effective. I greased inside the sway bar bushings and outside before I assembled. I also greased between the endlink bushings and washers. I double checked everything to make sure it was tight (with suspension was loaded).

The squeak was there before I replaced the sway bar bushings and endlinks. I greased the stock bushings and endlinks before I changed everything and that didn't help. I tried wd-40 and pb blast before I took everything apart with no quiet results.

Could this be a wheel bearing by any chance? Thanks for the help so far.
I have never heard a wheel bearings squeak. They generally either growl or hum and the noise gets worse the faster you go.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Guy at work mentioned the wheel bearing, I figured it'd sound like a rock tumbler more than some squeak. Still no luck with the squeak so far. I'm going to disconnect the sway bar in order to 100% rule that out and go from there. I hope that's all it is, still embarrassing squeaking through the parking lots and people staring. Haha.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at one point i also thought my wheel bearings were making noise. I also had a broken wheel stud in the front so i replaced the front hubs with new timkens. Noise didnt stop, turned out it was the front sway bar D bushing aswell. Thats probably the only poly mount i have right now.

Quick Reply: Suspension squeak. .....can't find it, what am I forgetting?