Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

hawk pad issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hawk pad issues

when i redid my brakes i got a set of hawk HP plus pads and a set of roto works slotted rotors, when i put them on the car i did the normal brake break in procedure of going 30-40mph, hitting the brakes for a few secs then driving some more then repeating 5 times, letting them cool then driving the car. once i got back to driving the car i noticed it didn't nearly stop as well as previous pads that were on it (felt like brake booster was unplugged from vacuum source type of thing, or engine off braking), think they where basic part store pads but, car would stop decently but nothing like before but i was giving it the benefit of the doubt that when i was doing 100+ down a track and had to use them they would be there with out fading issues or anything, anyway months later of normal DD driving use, going down a 50mph 2 lane road and some one dead stop in the other lane jumped out in the open lane so it was full on braking for me (probably from a 55-60mph roll), and it was scary, not only did it feel like i got instant brake fade but literally standing on the pedal it was slowing down like i would be if i was just 30-40% on the pedal with the stock pads, that being said i smoked out the lane from the smoke that came from the rear brakes, not tires, (possibly front also) never experiencing anything like it my only thought was the pads being performance pads only stop well when they are heated up via road racing/autocross and then they stop normal and don't smoke, that being said ive done 30-40mph test hits in front of my house of heavy braking and they smoke and car dosnt slow down well, car will not lock up tires ether where old set i could lay into it decently and it lock all 4 corners up (no abs)

bad pads? bad break in and i should resurface everything? is it just what these pads do and i should swap them out for DD use?

thoughts?

ive done brakes on numerous cars for the last 10 years and never had any of them not stop well or any other issues, but also havnt played with performance pads/rotors ether
Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

and now many miles on them? may not be fully bedded yet,

when was the last time you did a COMPLETE brake fluid flush?

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 09-01-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well found 2 things

1. My passenger rear wheel seal seaps out and got on pafs so thats one thing.

2. The oil smoke i was seeing was from exhaust, car ether in N or clutch pressed in (as in its not decel smoke)and hard braking/stopping i smoke out through exhaust bad, had friend in vette behind me say it came from my tip directly and my tips on driver side of car not pass

So one thing solved one things still sorta a mystery

Quick Reply: hawk pad issues