Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Completely Rebuilt Front Suspension w/ Viking Coilovers...Now rattle on front right

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely Rebuilt Front Suspension w/ Viking Coilovers...Now rattle on front right

Just like the title states, I just finished a turbo build, and while the car was apart I put new turbo k-member, new steering rack, Viking coilovers on front and rear, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, new control arm bushings, new front spring isolators, etc....Literally every piece on the front end was replaced besides the control arms.

I have a couple of issues that I'm trying to get sorted out now. The front right shock area rattles now when going over bumps. It sounds almost like something is rattling between the shock and the body, but everything seems to be tight. One thing that I do know is the upper control arm has two rubber bushings from the factory. One goes on the bottom of the control arm between it and the shock isolator, and the other goes on top of the control arm between it and the shock tower. I did not put the top one back in the car because I couldn't find any aftermarket, and plenty of people said they left that piece out with no issues because they are not made anymore. I lost my OEM one during the build. Has anyone else with the Viking coilovers had this rattle issue? Just trying to get some ideas before I start digging into it.

Also, now when I hit my brakes hard, like standing on them, it seems like something in my front end is shifting back. I even hear a slight pop under the car like something is binding. Kind of hard to explain, but I'm thinking it must have something to do with the new k-member? I don't know. I was really hoping for the car to ride like it is brand new with all this stuff under it, but it has been disappointing so far

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm understanding you correctly on the piece you lost, then I don't know how your shocks are staying in place. There are 2 pieces that go in above with UCA mount. One has 2 studs that go up through the strut tower, and has 2 threaded bolt holes. the other is a little triangular piece that the shock itself bolts to. If you do not have this piece, then yes your shock is flopping around loose and you have serious problems. Especially with coilovers. Also, check to make sure you have the retainer ring in above the spring and it is sitting against the upper spring mount
Old 09-02-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badhombre
If I'm understanding you correctly on the piece you lost, then I don't know how your shocks are staying in place. There are 2 pieces that go in above with UCA mount. One has 2 studs that go up through the strut tower, and has 2 threaded bolt holes. the other is a little triangular piece that the shock itself bolts to. If you do not have this piece, then yes your shock is flopping around loose and you have serious problems. Especially with coilovers. Also, check to make sure you have the retainer ring in above the spring and it is sitting against the upper spring mount
The piece with the studs and the triangle piece are still there. I have attached a picture of the little rubber piece that I am missing. I can't seem to find this piece anywhere because they are no longer being manufactured. I searched for the part number online and nothing popped up.

Name:  Rubber%20Isolator_zpswzwrv7k9.jpg
Views: 3135
Size:  96.5 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completely Rebuilt Front Suspension w/ Viking Coilovers...Now rattle on front right