Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking/Rattling Poly/Poly Lower Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Clunking/Rattling Poly/Poly Lower Control Arms?

So Rottluver and I installed some Pro Fab tubular poly/poly LCA's on Sunday on his WS.6. Install went fine and driving slowly through the neighborhood was fine also. However, after a few hard launches, there was a mild clunking or rattling noise coming from the driver rear. After a few more minutes, the passenger rear started making the same noise. By yesterday evening, they had both increase in noise so much, that simply backing the car out of the driveway made Rottluver uncomfortable simply driving the car.

Can anyone give us some insight into what is going on here? I have heard that the poly/poly can increase road noise, but not loud clunking and rattling like this! The bolts are VERY tight and we used a dab of lock-tite on each nut.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd pull them off and look for bushing damage. Poly seems to come in different qualities. A few launches may have opened up or cracked the bushings. I'd remove and inspect them before I drove it very far.

My thoughts.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, thanks trackbird. I know you are very experienced with LCAs so I was hoping you would chime in. Any more thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the bushings provided with greasable zerk fittings? Have they be lugricated. Although that would equate more to squeaks than clunks . . .
Old 06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, we found it odd that there was no grease fitting. I covered with sides of the poly with white lithium marine grease and shot a bit into the metal sleeve. So they don't squeak at all...just clunk and rattle. We initially thought something was loose under there, but nothing.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only thing I can think of other then what was mentioned above, make sure your torque settings are correct. I am pretty sure a LCA should be about 90 ft lbs. Also torque them with the suspension loaded not when its up in the air. Not doing this will cause bushing bind and damage as trackbird has mentioned. I have been running a poly/poly set up for 4,000 miles now, no noise or clunks.

Just a thought of MO
Old 06-08-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Only thing I can think of other then what was mentioned above, make sure your torque settings are correct. I am pretty sure a LCA should be about 90 ft lbs. Also torque them with the suspension loaded not when its up in the air. Not doing this will cause bushing bind and damage as trackbird has mentioned. I have been running a poly/poly set up for 4,000 miles now, no noise or clunks.

Just a thought of MO
1st - Thanks Jon for putting this up, I was up till after 2am researching this mess.

2nd - When you say to do it with the suspension loaded, do you mean when the weight of the car is on the tires? We did the swap with the rear tires on ramps........TIA

Darrin
Old 06-08-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah Darrin, loaded meaning the rear axle was hanging with the frame on jack stands. The way we had it on the ramps is the loaded position.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by skytower31
Yeah Darrin, loaded meaning the rear axle was hanging with the frame on jack stands. The way we had it on the ramps is the loaded position.
Uuuhhh, yeah, I knew that, yeah, that's the ticket LOL

Old 06-08-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes loaded meaning, either the jack stands under the rear axle or like mentioned the car on ramps or blocks. Anything to keep the weight on the rear end. Will this help? Its worth a try.

Like trackbird mentioned there is difference in quality of poly bushings out there, some take abuse in ways others won't. I always like to see a good ole Energy Suspension bushing in my stuff
Old 06-08-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry Darrin, I mean to say "Yeah Darrin, unloaded meaning the rear axle was hanging with the frame on jack stands. The way we had it on the ramps is the loaded position."

Sorry for even MORE confusion.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

i just installed my pro fab LCA's today and god damn, they are noisey! i had my car on a lift when i installed them. is it really that bad for me to drive around on them how they are now? the bolts are VERY tight but they are really noisey, but they make the car feel awsome.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed poly/poly LCAs and PHR today to replace my clunking and rattling rod/rod BADZ LCAs and PHR...you should NOT have any clunking associated with these. I had a clunk once upon a time when I had the stock PHR and LCAs on...turns out, one of the nuts from the panhard rod (the one on the rear end side) had completely come off, and it was just hanging there by a bolt. A very, very bad situation if you catch my drift. It just makes no sense why your LCAs would be clunking...I would expect this out of rod ended components, not those.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and seeing the "VERY tight" comment in your post leads me to believe that might have something to do with it. The torque specs I got from Spohn were like 55 ft-lbs for a greased poly bushing, which makes sense to me (I use nylock nuts anyways, so I'm not worried about things backing off), granted, mine have Zerk fittings.

If you overtighten them, they will bind, and that is no good for any type of driving. I'd look there first...hell. The things should really have Zerk fittings...you really need to be able to grease them on a consistent basis.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

well mine are loud as ****! i installed them with the car in the air on a lift, mine sounds more like a poping or a creeking noise. maybe since they are cheap as hell they are just noisey..... =P
Attached Thumbnails Clunking/Rattling Poly/Poly Lower Control Arms?-19_1.jpg  
Old 09-25-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man you guys shouldnt mess with your suspensions anymore. Everything you have tried hasnt worked. I would like to hear your setup to see if it is the same problem I have. Mine is a weird rattling going over even the smallest of cracks/sticks/leaves in the road.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by black00TA
i just installed my pro fab LCA's today and god damn, they are noisey! i had my car on a lift when i installed them. is it really that bad for me to drive around on them how they are now? the bolts are VERY tight but they are really noisey, but they make the car feel awsome.
Dude, I had the EXACT SAME noise/problem w/my Pro-Fab LCAs. I took em off afer about 3 days as the noise kept getting worse and worse. Soon as I put my stockers back on, no more noise....................
Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, I'll be sure to let anyone know if my Spohn pieces start doing the same...that's really not right.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well, I'll be sure to let anyone know if my Spohn pieces start doing the same...that's really not right.
Good luck, I know a guy who got some crappy pieces from Spohn too.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

i emailed the guy i purchased my pro-fab LCA's from and he says they will be pretty noisey till they break in. and grease will help slightly. i hope they get quieter cause they are damn noisey! but the car feels GREAT!!!!

Quick Reply: Clunking/Rattling Poly/Poly Lower Control Arms?