Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly/Poly LCAs? ... good/bad/myth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Question Poly/Poly LCAs? ... good/bad/myth?

im interested in a set of the BMR poly/poly non adjustable LCAs.
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...270&superpro=0

ive read alot of people saying that having poly bushings on both ends is not a good idea. that the harder poly doesnt have enough flex to allow proper movement of the axle, and can cause binding (i assume when one tire is up and one tire is down)
Ive even seen people write that it can even be like having firmer rear springs/sway bar.

however ive never actually found a post of someone with poly/poly fixed LCAs that had the issue. just people warning about it.

i have no desire for adjustable LCAs or any kind of rod ends. car is used 95% for road racing

question is, is it worth the trouble and cost to replace one end with Moog rubber bushings? or is the poly/poly LCA thing a myth?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just ordered BMR non-adj LCA's with a relocation bracket. I have BMR sway bars and panhard that I am putting on this weekend as well. I wasn't scared of the poly/poly combination at all, if its a street car poly/poly should be enough. The only thing I don't like is the manual greasing but oh well, itll give me something to do every 6 months.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/bushings.htm
Most of the vendors selling the product of course will not tell you they bind, but they do, and that's a fact, whether its noticeable or not is what is debatable.
For road racing rod ended is ideal as it allows full articulation with no bushing to flex, but if you are against those then get some roto-joint LCAs. I have them and there is no noise when they are tight and greased, and ride is only slightly more firm with them.
Look at what the other road race guys are running and recommending, you wont see poly on suspension parts that need articulation like control arms.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Founders poly/poly lca's on a streetcar and have never felt any problems. I don't beat on the car but do enjoy some spirited corners. I'm not a professional driver either. I just enjoy the car a couple of times a week and have been happy with the lca's. Make sure you grease the bushings with synthetic grease though to keep them happy.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's used for road racing, I'd try to steer away from poly/poly for the rear lower control arm. Just by the suspension geometry of the panhard rod as it moves up and down, it pulls and pushes on the lower control arms and their bushings, only a very small amount though. Poly/rod or poly/roto would be ideal for you.

Just for giggles, I run a poly/poly tubular rear lower control arm and I've autocrossed in it once so far. No ill effects yet but I'm running a terrible tire so I don't have enough grip to really stress it to the point where it *should* cause snap oversteer, in theory that is
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Poly/Poly LCAs but I can definitely tell you there is noticeable restriction/binding if you have one wheel higher than the other. They perform decent but I have since switched to Founders 3 piece ball Ploy/rubber bushings and the articulation and binding is definitely a lot less and I have been very happy with them. Also make sure you get the green poly grease so that you won't have to ever grease it again, It's been a year and they are still super quiet.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like mentioned above the biggest factor comes down to what your intended use for the car is going to be. For this reason we offer the LCA's in about 8 different configurations:

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...=7_137_103_304

All of our products are made of U.S. material,"in-house" nothing is outsourced,from raw material to powdercoat.

If anybody needs any info or pricing give me a call here at the shop.

Craig
Old 10-16-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We prefer heim/heim suspension for anything performance based and as long as you purchase from a vendor that uses high quality heim joints noise is minimal.

We have unbeatable pricing on LCA and PHB until the end of the year.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...-bar-sale.html
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
im interested in a set of the BMR poly/poly non adjustable LCAs.
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...270&superpro=0

ive read alot of people saying that having poly bushings on both ends is not a good idea. that the harder poly doesnt have enough flex to allow proper movement of the axle, and can cause binding (i assume when one tire is up and one tire is down)
Ive even seen people write that it can even be like having firmer rear springs/sway bar.

however ive never actually found a post of someone with poly/poly fixed LCAs that had the issue. just people warning about it.

i have no desire for adjustable LCAs or any kind of rod ends. car is used 95% for road racing

question is, is it worth the trouble and cost to replace one end with Moog rubber bushings? or is the poly/poly LCA thing a myth?
For road racing the rod ended LCAs would be optimal as they offer full articulation with the greatest suspension control. If you didn't want to get into something like that you could do our LCAs with our new poly elastomer bushings. They are a little softer and more forgiving than our normal polurethane bushings which will help with bind that you could potentially see. We could also do the neoprene rubber bushings in our lower control arms also which is even a bit softer.

We offer many different options to cover the different needs of our customers so just give us a call here at the shop and we can get you taken care of.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Like mentioned above the biggest factor comes down to what your intended use for the car is going to be. For this reason we offer the LCA's in about 8 different configurations:

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...=7_137_103_304

All of our products are made of U.S. material,"in-house" nothing is outsourced,from raw material to powdercoat.

If anybody needs any info or pricing give me a call here at the shop.

Craig
Do you have any pics of your roto joints un assembled? id like to see the guts and delrin race
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=351
Old 10-16-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
you could do our LCAs with our new poly elastomer bushings. They are a little softer and more forgiving than our normal polurethane bushings which will help with bind that you could potentially see. We could also do the neoprene rubber bushings in our lower control arms also which is even a bit softer.

We offer many different options to cover the different needs of our customers so just give us a call here at the shop and we can get you taken care of.
great info! that could be the ticket for me personally
i couldnt find any info on those on your site.
do you have durometer numbers on the poly elastomer bushings, and neoprene rubber bushings?

also could you do 2 quotes with the two different bushings in this LCA for me
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...273&superpro=0
Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=389

There is a photo towards the bottom of the page of a roto-joint not assembled
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
great info! that could be the ticket for me personally
i couldnt find any info on those on your site.
do you have durometer numbers on the poly elastomer bushings, and neoprene rubber bushings?

also could you do 2 quotes with the two different bushings in this LCA for me
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...273&superpro=0
It is great option for the budget minded person who doesn't want any added NVH. Our regular polyurethane bushings are 95 durometer, the poly elastomer is 83 durometer, and the neoprene rubber bushings are 78 durometer.

I will PM you quote with pricing on the different bushings options.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

I was not of fan of Poly/Poly LCA's at all. Did not like the feel around corners.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Does the Delrin material of the races stand up to 'cold forming', and bad road wear, MUCH better than a typical poly does??

I ask because of just how tightly I have my Roto-Joints' lock rings hunkered down onto the Delrin races.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Non-adjustable double Roto would be awesome. We use that arm in our Pro-Tour specific kits and also in our road race cars. Nothing to adjust and even less binding than the poly's which also don't bind when tightened and greased properly. Keep in mind a 3400 lb car is simply squishing a roller skate wheel. Binds on paper but not so much on the car.

-- Ramey
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was about to dive in here, but it looks like you made a good choice. Personally I like my heim/heim's but they aren't for everyone.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using the UMI non-adjustable double roto joint LCA's noted above for a road racing application and have been very pleased so far. I expected additional NVH when I upgraded to these from my stock LCA's, however that has not been the case.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up doing poly/roto from UMI and like them.

Quick Reply: Poly/Poly LCAs? ... good/bad/myth?