Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'95 Impala Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Impala Suspension

Hey everyone!

I just joined the LTx family with my recently acquired '95 DCM Impala SS. This will by my DD for the next few years as I continue progress on my '06 M6 GTO. Just because it'll be my DD doesn't mean it doesn't need to handle like crap, so I've been more concerned about suspension than power right off the bat.

All of this will happen most likely right after the winter, since my GTO is my only other car besides my beater Silverado. For the suspension, Hotchkis seems to have a pretty comprehensive set of products for the late B-Body cars. One of the things I wanted to do was cram a nice wide tire under the rear, and I'm not exactly sure where to start with control arms and accommodating hardware. As of now, the car is entirely stock. I'd love to lower it just around an inch which the Hotchkis kit suits perfectly, but I just need some guidance and advice from fellow B-Body owners.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We manufacture rear control arms for year/model B-body.
Depending on your plans for the car we have control arm kits along with extended length control arms.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...dex&cPath=4_76

Feel free to give me a call if you need pricing or info.

Craig
Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ledzepp3
Hey everyone!

I just joined the LTx family with my recently acquired '95 DCM Impala SS. This will by my DD for the next few years as I continue progress on my '06 M6 GTO. Just because it'll be my DD doesn't mean it doesn't need to handle like crap, so I've been more concerned about suspension than power right off the bat.

All of this will happen most likely right after the winter, since my GTO is my only other car besides my beater Silverado. For the suspension, Hotchkis seems to have a pretty comprehensive set of products for the late B-Body cars. One of the things I wanted to do was cram a nice wide tire under the rear, and I'm not exactly sure where to start with control arms and accommodating hardware. As of now, the car is entirely stock. I'd love to lower it just around an inch which the Hotchkis kit suits perfectly, but I just need some guidance and advice from fellow B-Body owners.
The biggest thing with getting these cars to handle is rear upper/lower control arms and front/rear sway bars.

We have a couple different version of control arms but it really sounds like the non-adjustable versions with the poly bushings would be ideal for what you are doing with the car. We have both standard length and extended length if you want to center the rear wheel in wheel well.

These cars really need some sway bars on them to tame the body roll that these large cars have. The front sway bar we offer is a 1.25" solid bar and the rear bar is 38mm solid bar. These sway bars really tighten down the suspension making the car handle way better and making it much more fun to drive.

Here is a link to an article we did with GM High-Tech Magazine on improving the suspension on a late model B-Body:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...sion-upgrades/

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From 1993-2000, my wife's DD was a '93 Caprice LTZ. During our period of ownership, I installed a set of Eibach springs and Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings at all the suspension pivot points, and 8" wide rims, where the OEs were 7". I also "boxed" the rear control arms, both upper and lower.

It didn't make it a Porsche killer, but it did handle pretty well for a large car, yet it was still comfortable on the long trips we used to take, back then.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Another thing I'm trying to do is stop the front end from moving around so much. Even today, after an a alignment, the front end still moves around. I've heard that there's 4 bushings for the front, but for the non-9C1 B-Body cars, there's only two installed.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing I'm trying to do is stop the front end from moving around so much. Even today, after an a alignment, the front end still moves around. I've heard that there's 4 bushings for the front, but for the non-9C1 B-Body cars, there's only two installed.
I'm not sure what bushings you're referring to, but just for the sake of information, there are actually 10 bushings in the B-body's "front end".

There are 4 UPPER control arm bushings, 4 LOWER control arm bushings, and 2 sway bar bushings.

"Moving around" could be caused by any/all of those bushings being worn, especially if they're the originals, in a 20 year old car. Same could be said for the ball joints (4 of them) and/or the idler arm.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you mean by moving around? Are you getting some swaying in the car when you are driving in a straight line or is it something you are seeing more while turning?

Like leadfoot4 said, with the vehicle being a 95 there could definitely be some wore out suspension components. You really need to get up under the car and do a full inspection of everything and see if you can visually see any problems. If you don't see anything start checking the bushings and ball joints to if they are allowing and extra movement that they shouldn't be.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably referring to body bushings, GM left off the lowers in several positions.
Of course the comments about a LOT of stuff being worn out on a 20 year old car.

Far as suspension, rear lowers, poly on the front swaybar and a set of Monroe Severe Service or Bilstein shocks can completely transform it.
Aftermarket rear uppers tend to cause binding, lowers alone will dramatically improve the rear control and make the existing bar more effective, as poly will for the front bar.

Body bushings are harder to find but can also make a big improvement in control feeling.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Launching!

I definitely know I need new suspension bushings, I got underneath the car today and saw how cracked they were. One of the immediate things I want to do with it is run mild lowering springs (preferably the Hotchkis 1' front, 1.25' rear) and have a solid handling car.

Quick Reply: '95 Impala Suspension