What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside! - Page 11 - LS1TECH

Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #201
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks, Ramey. I hadn't heard of it either. But then I saw a couple of Mustang k-members that looked similar with those tabs. And they had sheered off.

But I really like the k-member design.
JakeFusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #202
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

As Ramey mentioned 25lbs on k-member, boxed lower a-arms with rod ends is 5lbs a set.. maybe a little more. If you run the UMI/Strano/Afco coilover up front or similar aluminum shock and 2.5" spring you can cut another 10lbs off too. So 40lbs potential with a front end kit.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
UMI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #203
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
Thanks, Ramey. I hadn't heard of it either. But then I saw a couple of Mustang k-members that looked similar with those tabs. And they had sheered off.

But I really like the k-member design.
That exact k-member in the pictures is currently in Strano's car. So he will help to continue to test it.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #204
Super Hulk Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
Here's a look at the new UMI a-arms. Boxed lowers available with stock t-bar mounts and also double shear for bearing mounted shocks. Lowers also feature the ball joint mount moved forward for positive caster.

The new upper a-arms (pics soon) now also feature ball joint moved rearward for caster and the new a-arm design updated for maximum suspension travel. Our new adjustable upper a-arms offer the most travel of any a-arm design on the market.

Lower a-arms now offer 1 degree of caster, uppers 1-3 degrees for a total of 2-4 degrees of positive caster. When used together the spindle pin does not move. Pictures of uppers coming soon.

Ryan and Ramey - I have a question on these.

I see you offer these with Roto-Joints as well. I have the Roto-Joint/Poly combo on my rear adjustable LCAs and Panhard Bar from you guys and they are quiet and work very well on the street. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the dual roto-joints for the boxed lower A-Arm for a street car? Or would the dual rod-ends be okay?

I'm thinking to finish off my suspension (for now) would be the Road Race K-Member, Boxed Lowers with Roto-Joints, and the Non-Adjustable Uppers with the Poly bushings. I drive on the street but am wanting to get back into some Auto-X with it this year. But I want the weight savings for when I drag race and the additional clearance to work on the car. So goodness all the way around.
JakeFusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #205
LS1Tech Sponsor

If the car leans toward more street than race, Roto-Joints are a great idea. They are similar in performance to a rod-end but also have some cushioning to prevent NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

Good choice for sure.

-- Ramey
www.umiperformance.com
ramey@umiperformance.com
ph 814.343.6315
UMI Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #206
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
Ryan and Ramey - I have a question on these.

I see you offer these with Roto-Joints as well. I have the Roto-Joint/Poly combo on my rear adjustable LCAs and Panhard Bar from you guys and they are quiet and work very well on the street. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the dual roto-joints for the boxed lower A-Arm for a street car? Or would the dual rod-ends be okay?

I'm thinking to finish off my suspension (for now) would be the Road Race K-Member, Boxed Lowers with Roto-Joints, and the Non-Adjustable Uppers with the Poly bushings. I drive on the street but am wanting to get back into some Auto-X with it this year. But I want the weight savings for when I drag race and the additional clearance to work on the car. So goodness all the way around.
As Ramey mentioned all good options.

We recommend and use rod ends for cars that see lots of course use. Rod ends are lighter and less expensive than Roto-Joints. The weight on a set of 4 is 4lbs more than rod ends I think. Both rod ends and Roto-Joints are items that wear, the rod ends are easier to replace as a they wear out but the Roto-joints offer more streetability. So sounds like Roto-joints are for you.

On the upper a-arms you may want to consider the 2310 adjustable, these are the newer design with more built in clearance than the non-adj. We hope to update the non-adj. here shortly as well.

Hope this helps!
Ryan