Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see options. kit looks good. i like the color too.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
It would probably be hard to make a business case for a de-coupled torque arm due to cost, but damn does it work awesome.
Yes, sadly enough, especially since they seem to NOT "move" too well.

STILL not enough owners doing road racing/autocross with this platform, and this item would KILL the drag racers'/'mixed use' peeps 60 foots.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

When you state "cannister" do you mean remote reservoir, a la Penske/Moton/Reiger/Ohlins/etc.??

Also, on the double adjustable units (BOTH the single tube 125 psi, AND the twin tube models), what will be the approximate spring lb./in. 'range', and will the 550/150s be in the middle of those as well, or will those be moved WAY UP in spring ranges?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Pricing isn't set, but Hypercoils sell for about $60 each (from me) in 2.5" but it depends on length. And I'll have a set included with the kit, so as long as the rates you want don't cost more than the standard ones I'll supply them with what you want, as long as it's within reason for the damping which shouldn't be an issue. If you want a spring that costs more, that's fine too it'll just change the price a touch.

Note that the idea here isn't that these are cheap. There are plenty of those, these are meant to be higher end without going off the deep end cost wise. Price is TBD but I'm thinking we'll end up somewhere between Ridetech 2's and KW Variant 3's, there or there about.

I also have to plans to play games with the pricing, just find a fair price for a product like this, complete with the shock knowledge that come with it and roll. We are working on this together as a team. I'm not going to cut UMI's throat over it, and I don't think they'll do that to me either, which is why I'm working with them on it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Any chance of a sale coming up on k members ? I just got my end of the year bonus check and I am in the process of doing a 6.0 ls swap in to my 95 z28. I'd hate to order a k member now, and have a sale or group purchase come out in the next few months.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very excited for this. Saving my pennies...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stryker1320
Any chance of a sale coming up on k members ? I just got my end of the year bonus check and I am in the process of doing a 6.0 ls swap in to my 95 z28. I'd hate to order a k member now, and have a sale or group purchase come out in the next few months.
This Thursday will begin a little Christmas special, so stay tuned. You can sign up for a newsletter on our site for a reminder or follow us on Facebook or Instagram.

As for spring rates, like Sam mentioned.... any rate you want can be chosen. We will be expanded what we recommend as we do more testing. Right now it's tough, the season as ended here in the northeast and tough to even drive on the roads as it can snow or rain any day so we are doing what we can to try and test new rates. Stay tuned.

We are excited to work with Sam on this. More details will follow.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you ! I am subscribed =)
Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Also; will there be an option for a high durometer (HARD) rubber bushing on the lower mounting ends, even if that seems to defeat the purpose of these units, or will they ONLY be offered with spherical bearings on the mounting ends??
Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the way that shock is made I don't think there is a bushing for it. And like you said.. kind of defeats the purpose at that point. I'd not build it that way, if you want that there are options that use bushings already with great shocks like the KW's.

Part of the deal here is to also rid ourselves of the rubber upper mount, but if you do that then what's the big deal with the spherical bearing at the bottom?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

How are these going to compare to Koni 4/4?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Wow looks top notch, I'm in the market for a full front suspension kit for my SS, I was looking at the UMI stage 2 street front end package, will this we in the same price range?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHulk
Wow looks top notch, I'm in the market for a full front suspension kit for my SS, I was looking at the UMI stage 2 street front end package, will this we in the same price range?
Thanks for looking and the compliments.

I have some pricing posted in post #10 if you want to check it out. This kit and new items will be 100% streetable but at the same time overkill for basic street use. If you are looking for a street set up we could do Stage 2 kit with the new shocks, that is an option. The kit shown in post # 1 will be more than double the price of our front end stage 2 kit. So for a true street car we could maybe do something different in a package.

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSHulk
We will be offering a complete kit with these coil-over shocks, Road Race K-Member,Boxed A-Arms and our new adjustable upper A-Arms in the $3000 range. Stay tuned for the release date.

Craig
Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
How are these going to compare to Koni 4/4?
That's not a question that is so easy to answer. You are comparing apples to oranges by a bit here. The stuff here is coil-over, the Koni's are shocks. The Koni's have a lifetime warranty. The price points are different.

Really where these fall is more between Koni 4/4 and my springs and KW Variant 3's (for the DA's) and around the Ridetech Stage 2 for the singles. Again, we are still tweaking.

The question becomes what do you want from your spring and damper setup? Some folks are going to prefer a setup they don't need to muss with, installs like stock, has ride isolation like stock with the rubber mounts and bushings, etc, but gives you tuning adjustment to the attitude of the car.

Some folks like the idea of dumping the stock rubber mounts in front and having spherical bearing lowers and being able to play with ride height and corner weights, while being able to adjust the damper. And others yet will want that damper to have both compression and rebound adjustment.

AFCO makes circle track stuff, and getting them to understand what it is I wanted for a curve has been an adventure to say the least. We could have taken the 'eh, good enough' route but I hate that and good enough is the enemy of correct.

There is still a bit of tweaking to be done. At this point they are just tweaks to valving and dampers. I mean I just got done messing with some various tweaks to things like bumpstops on front and rear to assess things and, I guess, demanded for lack of a better term, a few changes to get things more right. We aren't done, yet. But it's coming.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff guys. Glad to see you are still making efforts into improving this platform and offering new products for them!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
AFCO makes circle track stuff, and getting them to understand what it is I wanted for a curve has been an adventure to say the least. We could have taken the 'eh, good enough' route but I hate that and good enough is the enemy of correct.
Yes, and since the only other damper product they make is for drag racing, I would have have liked to a fly on the wall for those conversations.

I'm guessing you had to give them a road racing/autocross damping 101 lecture?

Are the front bump stops' durometers going to be spring rate and shock valving dependent, or the same across the board?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I mean they make other stuff like for circle track and such. And really the shocks can be made to do most everything I've wanted. Just missing one thing to this point which is what the latest revision is looking to solve.

Not so much a lecture, but I think Ramey (in particular we've been the two who've talked the most on this) has heard plenty from me in terms of damping. I like to think less lecture and more "education".

Again, everyone wants all these details that aren't quite finalized and/or we don't want to let everyone know. But I don't forsee playing with bumpstop durometer, although if you want to you can. But I know I'm not going to be responsible for someone breaking a shock if they play with stops I didn't supply.

This is where you guys rely on the fact I worked on this myself. We played with various bumpstops, even no bumpstops. Some on the shock, some on the body on the rear, etc.

There are details I personally insisted on that showed up from my flogging of the car on my little "test loop" that didn't show up otherwise.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Part of the deal here is to also rid ourselves of the rubber upper mount, but if you do that then what's the big deal with the spherical bearing at the bottom?
Very true.

But I was only asking since in my limited experience (LG/Bilstein/Hyperco alloy bodied coilovers with Aurora spherical bearings on all four corners), they cannot be made to NOT knock like jackhammers on bad pavement, or even less than perfect roads (NO MATTER WHICH brand sphericals I used, or how much coin they were ), for those who are not putting them on an exclusive, dedicated, track/ax car.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

But I know I'm not going to be responsible for someone breaking a shock if they play with stops I didn't supply.
Of course, the above goes without saying!

I was just curious if YOU were going to spec/supply (with each individual kit/set up) different bump stop rates depending upon spring/damper rates, that's all.

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!