Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Very true.

But I was only asking since in my limited experience (LG/Bilstein/Hyperco alloy bodied coilovers with Aurora spherical bearings on all four corners), they cannot be made to NOT knock like jackhammers on bad pavement, or even less than perfect roads (NO MATTER WHICH brand sphericals I used, or how much coin they were ), for those who are not putting them on an exclusive, dedicated, track/ax car.
All I can say is to this point I've had no knocking or noise that wasn't from a fitment issue from testing a whole new setup (i.e. not the bearings).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't intend to, no.

Spring rates, if y'all want something else that's fine and I'll do that, within reason. The shocks have a HUGE range of adjustment and a lot of time has been spent on making sure we weren't living in one end of it so a rate change will be no issue.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sam had a good point about how UMI Strano shocks compare to Koni's. They really are two different things. Our test cars have 1/2" double shear mounts at all 8 locations. Our goal is to have a competition-worthy product with 2-1/2" premium springs (Draco or Hypercoils), race damping capabilities and enough adjustment to feel nice on the street. UMI is growing enough that it was time to team up with a champ and take our product line to the next level.

-- Ramey
Old 12-23-2015, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The shocks have a HUGE range of adjustment and a lot of time has been spent on making sure we weren't living in one end of it so a rate change will be no issue.
^^^This is GREAT to know!
Old 12-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Teching In

this is awesome! I am just now starting to research best options for my Camaro. The car is first and foremost a street car, however there is a road race track that will be opening just down the road from me in a year or two, Dominion Raceway in Woodford Va... I am definitely trying to get in on that action.

Last edited by MattyJ540; 12-26-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattyJ540
this is awesome! I am just now starting to research best options for my Camaro. The car is first and foremost a street car, however there is a road race track that will be opening just down the road from me in a year or two, Dominion Raceway in Woodford Va... I am definitely trying to get in on that action.
You're also not that far from VIR, or even Summit Point, at least as far as the distance MOST have to travel to get on a track.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
You're also not that far from VIR, or even Summit Point, at least as far as the distance MOST have to travel to get on a track.
We have a lot of street miles on these and they feel pretty nice! So I'd say competition dampers suitable for street use. Or street dampers suitable for competition use.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Any updates on the launch of the coil-overs?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zrated383
Any updates on the launch of the coil-overs?
We have what is hopefully the final version on the '99 test Camaro. Right now we're just waiting for some clear roads to test on. Lots of snow and gravel at the moment...

I'd look for some stuff to happen within the next month or so.

ramey
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

bump. how are these babies looking? set on price yet?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

^Some posts in FB and Instagram show they're still doing track testing w/ the components as well as they just got a set of new 18x11 Forgestars via Sam Strano so I'm gonna guess this will let them do some more fine tuning on the combo with a lighter wheel with wider tires.

A lot of talk in the road race/auto-x stuff is people start to jack the spring rates up some more to counteract the body roll due to more bite from running 315s. There's only so much swaybar we can add to the f-body, so the spring/shock combo is the next step.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Super exciting stuff from UMI and Strano! I know where all my extra pennies will be going!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's close!

We just received the shocks back last week with what we hope is the last valving change.

Just need some nice weather so we can go test them.

Craig
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Loved UMI stuff on my old car and I cannot wait to hit the streets in my new car with the new UMI goodies!
Attached Thumbnails What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!-2016-02-16-15.08.58.jpg  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WarShrike
^Some posts in FB and Instagram show they're still doing track testing w/ the components as well as they just got a set of new 18x11 Forgestars via Sam Strano so I'm gonna guess this will let them do some more fine tuning on the combo with a lighter wheel with wider tires.

A lot of talk in the road race/auto-x stuff is people start to jack the spring rates up some more to counteract the body roll due to more bite from running 315s. There's only so much swaybar we can add to the f-body, so the spring/shock combo is the next step.
Correct! The weather has put a dampening on our testing (literally, its pouring outside right now). But all is looking good, we are hoping for a few weeks of spring like weather to continue. This is definitely a downfall to living in the north east...
Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha yeah, it's been t-top weather here, but no road courses or local auto-x events right now and the car isn't running yet
Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Updates? When can we realistically expect this to hit the market? Also, can we expect any kind of introductory price? I'm interested in this and the Strano sway bars.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drain89
Updates? When can we realistically expect this to hit the market? Also, can we expect any kind of introductory price? I'm interested in this and the Strano sway bars.
Our new shocks are being built as we speak. We will be posting purchasing details on the week of May 9th and predict shipping with in a week of that. We are close!

A-arms are still in the works, we've been on a few different sets trying to get it where we want it.

No special pricing on the shock set up, we got a lot of work and time in them and profit is pretty minimal. We kept them at a reasonable price for the awesome set up you'll get.

We just updated the UMI sway bars to hollow as well and they can be purchased through Sam. Just another option in case.

Thanks for watching. Details coming soon!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any pics of an f-body with the claimed 9 degrees of caster? I've grown accustomed in recent years to driving benz' which run 9-11 degrees of caster, and now that I'm back in an f-body I feel like I'm driving a shopping cart. I'd love to have some highway stability! And if you have done it, how is the steering at low speed? I would imagine a power steering cooler would be needed because that pump is gonna be working hard with that much caster!

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!