Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacho
Outstanding job on the leveling kit. My UMI PHB touches UMI relocation bar.

Need this ASAP.
We will be offering the full kit or you may also purchase just the drivers side bracket for cases like this. Should be in production soon.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Update. The new UMI shocks are in full production and almost complete. Here's a few updated photos I took of a set we just received, this should help with previous questions. These pictures show the t-bar that is assembled into the shocks making them work with previously purchased a-arms and factory a-arms. Also here is a photo of the bump stop Sam and us has chosen for best front end performance. The rear shocks will use the factory rubber bump stops.

Lastly, here is an image of our prototype panhard bar leveling kit installed. This kit will get over a 100 laps on the autocross track this weekend at the Carlisle GM Nationals.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the front rebound adjustment that knurled ring at the top of the Afco damper's body??

How are the rear dampers rebound adjusted?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Is the front rebound adjustment that knurled ring at the top of the Afco damper's body??

How are the rear dampers rebound adjusted?
Yes, the black knurled **** is for the rebound adjustment. Both front and rear use the same ****, we recommend running the rear shocks with the rod down for easier adjusting.

I understand you said prototype leveling kit, but if your driver side bracket bolt is placed as far down as possible- it seems with the passenger side bracket that the bolt is placed at around the same location the bolt is in the RE-LO KIT BRACKET.

When these get around to production, it would be good to see a side by side pic of the 2 passenger brackets.

I also understand that based on how low the car is determines the bolt placement in the passenger side bracket (given that driver side bracket bolt is at bottom hole).
If you use just the drivers side bracket it will work with an already purchased relocation kit to help level the panhard bar. If you purchase the full kit it would also work with a relocation kit using new brackets that allow the panhard bar to be lowered more. We are using new brackets on our car to get the 3" lowered roll center that we wanted to achieve.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those shocks look really good, but they'd look better under my car
Old 06-16-2016, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Those shocks look really good, but they'd look better under my car
Don't worry, you are getting the first set I have out.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm waiting for next season to do this. I've already changed so much on the car, I want to at least be able to get some feel of what has already been done before adding more fuel to the fire lol!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We are using new brackets on our car to get the 3" lowered roll center that we wanted to achieve.
Looking forward to this one. If the kit goes into production as is, what price range can we expect, and when? I'd love to get the brackets this summer. I'm running the same umi phb.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

Lastly, here is an image of our prototype panhard bar leveling kit installed. This kit will get over a 100 laps on the autocross track this weekend at the Carlisle GM Nationals.

looking forward to this kit!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

How did this leveling kit manage at Carlisle?
It survived with no issues. We may have some flex in the factory sheet metal panhard bar bracket. Our next event will be running our actual #2024 upper panhard bar brace that offers the exhaust clearance. This should hopefully reduce and flex since this brace mounts lower and adds support. As for our brackets there was no movement or issues. The lowered roll center adds leverage to the panhard bar allowing more pressure on the factory mounts. But so far I feel we have a winner.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The PHB brace is bent from GM are you sure you aren't looking at that?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMI,

Whats the warranty on the new Afco monotube shocks you are now selling?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

UMI- I'm not hijacking your thread here, I simply want members to see why they should give you guys a call for relo bar/bracket and all your other suspension pieces.

Sam, I can't find a pic of the factory upper phb that I threw out but here's a pic to give you a description: on this upper UMI phb, the lower flat part is where the exhaust goes over. My 3" catback pipe had bounced against this upper stamped steel bar a few times, repeat just a few touches, and the magnaflow stainless steel pipe bent this section of the upper phb while doing VERY LITTLE damage to the exhaust pipe itself.

Btw-take a close look at this rear swaybar sam.
Ok.. looking at the rear bar. What about it, other than it was painted red?

As for the brackets. Well notice how your PHB is not level? The new brackets will fix that at least minimizing the arc the body swings in up and down. A Watts will fix that completely but costs more. The folks who'd want the PHB brackets most when they come available are those with that PHB relocation kit for exhaust clearance.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Afco has a 1yr Manfacturers warranty
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Afco has a 1yr Manfacturers warranty
I thought they would be lifetime for the price, but I can see the abuse these getting put through wouldn't be cost effective with someone needed new shocks every 2-3 years or so with hard hard racing and daily commute as they are a ready to go road race/racing designed shock. Very nice shocks indeed just a little more than what I'm looking for, for the price with a limited warranty.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Haha, yes, your hollow sway bars are awesome-but i did have to paint them red to match the rest of my suspension which isn't visible to anyone under the car ha.

I would be running a watts link if i could get that exhaust cleared over the top of it.
You can with a MWC watts link, clears Kooks duals even.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
I thought they would be lifetime for the price, but I can see the abuse these getting put through wouldn't be cost effective with someone needed new shocks every 2-3 years or so with hard hard racing and daily commute as they are a ready to go road race/racing designed shock. Very nice shocks indeed just a little more than what I'm looking for, for the price with a limited warranty.
They can be rebuilt as well so that is a big plus in my eyes. And it's not like you have to send them to India to get rebuilt either.

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
You can with a MWC watts link, clears Kooks duals even.
+1 my MWC watts has a ton of room. I don't know of any serious road race cars running them though.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any new info on the new drop springs you guys posted a pic on FB a few weeks ago?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

my MWC watts has a ton of room. I don't know of any serious road race cars running them though.
IF anyone is road coursing their f bodies with a 9, they may not have a choice?

(Does the Fays 2 even fit on a stock, or fabbed 9 " axle???)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Launching!

They can be rebuilt as well so that is a big plus in my eyes. And it's not like you have to send them to India to get rebuilt either.

+1 my MWC watts has a ton of room. I don't know of any serious road race cars running them though.
How much would it cost to rebuild 4 shocks out of curiosity? I might consider getting a set depending on that factor. I hurt my back, so it's either the UMI Afco's or Ridetech Level 2 coil overs for me.

I agree on the watts link, main reason I bought one with the MWC Fab9 was for compatibility and clearance of course with the duals. I don't plan on doing serious hardcore road racing right now but to want a very good dampener to go along with the rest of the whole new suspension.

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!