Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS Pads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Hawk HPS Pads or Raybestos Ceramics

Im looking to get some new pads, mine are worn out or close to it. I was looking at the Hawk HPS's pads and i got a question for anyone who has them or had experience with them. Do they squeak or squeel at all after youve had them on for awhile or are they a quiet brake pad? I have stocks on there now and i think the rears are gettin pretty worn out now, so im looking to redo all 4 of them with something better than stockers. I know theres Raybestos but they dont make a rear pad thats ceramic, only the fronts. Just wondering if the hawks will be quiet and not squeak, its one of those things that drive me nuts. I know they dust more than, but thats a sacrifice you make if you wanna stop better than stock. so id deal with it i guess. Any info or comments would be much appreciated, thanks.

Also, for those of you running Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramics, what are you using on the rears since they dont make the ceramics for the rears? Thanks again for any input

Last edited by STKoRn97; 06-13-2004 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added a little somethinga bout Raybestos Ceramics
Old 06-13-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They work great, but they can and sometimes do make a little noise. I don't mind it, but some people will.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had them on my LT1 with LS1 brake upgrade, they stopped real well but mine squeeked, it was really annoying, and the dust was horrible on them.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are a huge difference from stockers. Stop much better. Mine don't dust too bad, but they squeel like hell.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

I'm on my second set of Hawk HPS. No dust issues OR squeal for me, never had squeal from day one. I use spray on anti-squeal ( from autozone, turns the pads blue on the back ). I also run Fiske wheels and am particular about dust; no problems. Also, they stop MUCH better than stock IMHO.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys with the squell problems, are you talking about the street or track version of the pads?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the street pads and they squeeled
Old 06-16-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oddly, my HP+ (race version) don't stop or squeak. The HPS are much better street pads. I'm gong back to Carbotech for race pads after these.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

pretty good pads but yes they do squeal. dust isn't so bad. had them for a year or so. I got some EBC Greenstuff in the rear about 2 months ago, man these things were supposed to be clean, they dust 2x as bad. Makes me wonder tho if its the rotors, they're stock but i don't think they're warped or anything. would that cause it to dust more ? when i replaced the fronts with Hawk Pads I also put in new OEM Brembo rotors.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My don't squeel much. A little, but they are within acceptable limits. They stop really good, and even my rotors have not warped yet (after 20k mi) - don't know if it is the rotors or pads, or combination of both
Old 06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I'm looking at the same two pads and also Performance Friction's Carbon Metallic Street pads. Anyone have any more opinions on Ceramic brakes compared to the other pads in terms of stopping power or initial bite.

Originally Posted by STKoRn97
Im looking to get some new pads, mine are worn out or close to it. I was looking at the Hawk HPS's pads and i got a question for anyone who has them or had experience with them. Do they squeak or squeel at all after youve had them on for awhile or are they a quiet brake pad? I have stocks on there now and i think the rears are gettin pretty worn out now, so im looking to redo all 4 of them with something better than stockers. I know theres Raybestos but they dont make a rear pad thats ceramic, only the fronts. Just wondering if the hawks will be quiet and not squeak, its one of those things that drive me nuts. I know they dust more than, but thats a sacrifice you make if you wanna stop better than stock. so id deal with it i guess. Any info or comments would be much appreciated, thanks.

Also, for those of you running Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramics, what are you using on the rears since they dont make the ceramics for the rears? Thanks again for any input
Old 06-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Teching In

What's the pros and cons of the Hawk HPS vs Ceramic pads like the Raybestos Quiet Stops ?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Default HPS vs Quiet stops?

Originally Posted by RZ28
What's the pros and cons of the Hawk HPS vs Ceramic pads like the Raybestos Quiet Stops ?
TTT, Whats the deal?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Regarding what to do about the rear with Raybestos QS up front - I'm running GM replacement rear pads (got them pretty cheap from Gene at Fred Beans Pontiac) with my front Quiet Stops. Everything is quiet and low dust.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Just installed a set of HPS pads, they made some noise, but once the break was done (followed the red card instructions) the squeking stopped, this was on new rear rotors and slightly used (~600) miles C5 directional front rotors.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS Pads??