Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Inner Tie Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inner Tie Rod Ends

As part of my suspension project, I am going to replace my inner and outer tie rods. I hear there is a special tool to do the inner tie rods. Every time I try to find this tool it is expensive for such a simple looking tool. I know that a version of this tool can be rented from Autozone, etc. For anyone who has done the inner tie rods, will their version of the tool work well? I don't need to change my rack as it functions fine with no leaks (so far). I am just taking the opportunity to change this out while everything will be off the car and I can pay for only one alignment. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW my inner tie rods are still quite tight and have no play in them even with 21 years and 177k on them. The boots have torn a little but the tie rods themselves are fine. The outer tie rods are a different story...

I wouldn't see why the Autozone tools wouldn't work. I've only got positive experiences with buying/renting stuff from Autozone and you get your money back when you rent as well
Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have also heard that the inner tie rods fare pretty good. I am debating on changing those out as they are pretty pricey. I may hold off on them especially since I have under 70k miles on my '01.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

You can either rent one from Autozone for free or buy one to keep at Harbor Freight for about $30. Either one will work.

I'm sure you already know, but if replace inner and/or outer tie rods be prepared to get an alignment done as well.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about to remove one of my inner tie rod ends. I understand that the inner clamp is not reusable. Is there a trick to getting it off? Also, will a simple zip tie be suitable as a replacement for this inner clamp?
Attached Thumbnails Inner Tie Rod Ends-dsc_0148.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
I'm about to remove one of my inner tie rod ends. I understand that the inner clamp is not reusable. Is there a trick to getting it off? Also, will a simple zip tie be suitable as a replacement for this inner clamp?

The Moog Inner tie rod comes with a zip tie in lieu of the clamp.
Check youtube for a how to
Old 03-13-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found a vid with what appears to be the same type of clamp on my dust boot. I got it loose. I have tried to find what grease to use when putting in the new inner tie rod ends. I looked through my Chilton's manual and it didn't even mention putting any sort of grease when replacing ball joints, tie rods, etc. I have some synthetic grease that I use for the roto-joints on my panhard bar. Will this same grease be sufficient for the ball joints and tie rod ends?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. I wrote Moog to see what they recommend but still haven't heard back from them. Everything is disassembled and I am about to remove old bushings and knock some rust off my parts. I was looking through my Chilton manual and they don't even have a torque value for the inner tie rod ends. Does anybody know what this value is? All I got is the good old German torque value.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GM specifies 74 ft-lb with red loctite. I use Valvoline high-temp grease to lube the chassis (all Moog stuff here).
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Red loctite? Wow, I was going to use the blue as I thought red might be too much.

Quick Reply: Inner Tie Rod Ends