10 years later... I finally lowered it. - LS1TECH



Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

10 years later... I finally lowered it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default 10 years later... I finally lowered it.

Hey all,

I've been off and on this website for a bit. I've owned my Trans Am for 10 years come this November and I finally gave it some new suspension.

The job wasn't too bad actually just a tip do NOT get cheap strut mounts lol that was the main thing that slowed me down... But I'm impressed with it overall.

I bought the Vogtland lowering springs and Stagg Struts/shocks. It's like a new car and I love the stance. I need to roll the rears but the fronts are good just need spacers.


Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #2
TECH Regular
 
SteenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Moose Jaw SK, Canada
Posts: 441
Default

Looks sweet!
SteenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenH View Post
Looks sweet!
Thank you!
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
 
SteveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Poway, Ca. where God and the sun always shines
Posts: 558
Default

Very nice, did you purchase an adjustable torque arm to address the now changed pinion angle?
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Very nice, did you purchase an adjustable torque arm to address the now changed pinion angle?
No I have not, just did the springs and struts/shocks and waiting on my next move actually... Was thinking relocation brackets for rear lower control arms as research is guiding me too. But why an adjustable torque arm first?
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
 
SteveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Poway, Ca. where God and the sun always shines
Posts: 558
Default

The only way you can effectively set the pinion angle is with an adjustable torque arm.
Here is an article which explains why this is important to set once the geometry of the vehicle has changed (i.e. lowered):

http://www.quickperformance.com/Pini...ent_ep_45.html

Hope this helps you out in some way.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (3)
 
hokeplaya05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: new hampshire
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earx95LT1 View Post
No I have not, just did the springs and struts/shocks and waiting on my next move actually... Was thinking relocation brackets for rear lower control arms as research is guiding me too. But why an adjustable torque arm first?
another way to do it is to get a torque arm relocation crossmember. it takes the torque arm mount off the tail shaft on the trans (which is known to be weak) and relocates it to the trans crossmember. kills two birds with one stone and is also cheaper than an adjustable torque arm

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...d=55&catid=301

personally I would worry more about getting an adjustable panhard bar so you can re-center the axle under the car after lowering it.

either way, car looks great love the stance!
hokeplaya05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
12 Second Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bucks County, Pa.
Posts: 4,283
Default

Are those the C5 Vette magnesium wheels, or something else (OEM Wheel 5 spoke, etc.)??

I ask because someone had the OEM Wheels on their C5 on here, and I mistakenly thought that they were the rare C5 magnesiums.
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
2JAWZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Richmond,VA
Posts: 1,274
Default

Looks great. And I agree with panhard first. Adj torque arm can be a nightmare if not properly done. Also I think that is the best spoiler by far for that car!
2JAWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
TECH Addict
iTrader: (13)
 
chrysler kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mckinney Plano Frisco
Posts: 2,122
Default

You do not need to change the pinion angle, Do not get an adjustable torque arm. They are a pain to set up and offer no benefit in a daily driven car. My car has been lowered for 10 years and 60k miles and my stock ten bolt is in great shape with no issues. Adjustable pan hard and Lca relocation are great modifications and you will get more bang for your buck.
chrysler kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

By the way I am sitting in the car in the bottom pic with stock suspension and I'm not sitting in it in the top pic lol in case a few of you are scratching your heads haha. P.S. I weigh 220 pounds haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Are those the C5 Vette magnesium wheels, or something else (OEM Wheel 5 spoke, etc.)??

I ask because someone had the OEM Wheels on their C5 on here, and I mistakenly thought that they were the rare C5 magnesiums.
Yes they are the magnesium wheels off the Corvette and powder coated silver 17's in fronts 18's in rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysler kid View Post
You do not need to change the pinion angle, Do not get an adjustable torque arm. They are a pain to set up and offer no benefit in a daily driven car. My car has been lowered for 10 years and 60k miles and my stock ten bolt is in great shape with no issues. Adjustable pan hard and Lca relocation are great modifications and you will get more bang for your buck.
Thanks for the advice, from the research I was looking at the torque arm does look like a PITA. So I'll just get the LCA relocation brackets and adjustable pandhard for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JAWZ View Post
Looks great. And I agree with panhard first. Adj torque arm can be a nightmare if not properly done. Also I think that is the best spoiler by far for that car!
I also like the lay down spoiler best lol thank!

Last edited by Earx95LT1; 04-28-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #12
LS1Tech Sponsor
 
RidetechJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Default

Looks good man!
RidetechJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
On The Tree
 
JT2000WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 129
Default

Looks awesome. In the second picture I see the exhaust hanging a little bit. Have you experienced any issues dragging your headers yet? I really want to drop mine maybe 1" or 1.25" but I'd only have maybe 3" of ground clearance on my headers and I don't want to drag them all over the place.
JT2000WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2000WS6 View Post
Looks awesome. In the second picture I see the exhaust hanging a little bit. Have you experienced any issues dragging your headers yet? I really want to drop mine maybe 1" or 1.25" but I'd only have maybe 3" of ground clearance on my headers and I don't want to drag them all over the place.
Here is the thing I don't have headers yet lol, just the stock manifolds. I'm probably going to go with mid length headers anyways as I only want a mild build (Headers,street cam,bolt ons) eventually in the long term.

Honestly I've put about 500kms on it and I only have to watch out for pot holes (as does anyone) really as my rears have spacers and tires hit the fender lip. My fenders will be rolled soon anyways just in the rear obviously. I haven't done measurements yet but I think mine dropped atleast 1.5 inch

Last edited by Earx95LT1; 04-28-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,227
Default

Car looks great. I wouldn't sweat getting an adjustable TA yet, an adjustable PHB should be on your short list though.
blackandgold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #16
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Car looks great. I wouldn't sweat getting an adjustable TA yet, an adjustable PHB should be on your short list though.
Already ordered PHB... Along with new UMI LCA's and relocation brackets

Last edited by Earx95LT1; 04-30-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #17
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
2JAWZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Richmond,VA
Posts: 1,274
Default

19x12 with no spacers.
2JAWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lost in a corn field
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earx95LT1 View Post
Already ordered PHB... Along with new UMI LCA's and relocation brackets
Roto joint LCAs?
blackandgold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #19
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 1,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JAWZ View Post
19x12 with no spacers.
How the hell did you get those to fit. I cut the **** out of my tire just backing out of the driveway.
Did you relocate you lca's and pound out the fender wells?
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #20
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Earx95LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Roto joint LCAs?
No just tubular with Polyurethane bushings LCA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice View Post
How the hell did you get those to fit. I cut the **** out of my tire just backing out of the driveway.
Did you relocate you lca's and pound out the fender wells?
Please do tell how you fit those.....

Last edited by Earx95LT1; 04-30-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Earx95LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found this after tearing most of engine down xdanny510x Generation III Internal Engine 13 03-27-2016 03:30 PM
Engine Dress Up - Red Anodized catch can, tensioner, rails swandude805 Parts Classifieds 3 02-29-2016 11:04 AM
Brought her back to Texas... Low Miles SOM WS6 inside enigmah Texas Members 28 02-06-2012 12:04 AM
Wanted to share some mods and pics with you all. oct03gto Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 12 04-01-2007 01:32 PM
My 91 LS1 Z With it's New Wheels Brads454 Conversions & Hybrids 13 09-28-2004 09:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send