Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake System Nigtmare: Keep Hitting Dead Ends

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake System Nigtmare: Keep Hitting Dead Ends

Its long, but I desperatly need help, Please?

Hey guys, I have had brake problems with my car since I got it. The brakes are very loud. Another problem they had was under heavy braking or turns, they mad a very rhythmic scrape noise ever rotation of the wheel. I heard due to the shakiness at the time that it was probably the rotors where warped. I just replaced the rotors and pads, and saw a problem with a caliper and replaced it with a spare I had. Now, the shakiness is gone, but during normal driving, the scrape occurs nonstop until you put on the brakes, the brakes operate smoothly, just make a scrape noise. Its not pads. Not rotors, and not the caliper, since they have all been changed and the noise is still there. It makes me think its the suspension, since it does seem to be affected by turns. I am trying to sell my car, and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
John
Old 06-16-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check you guide pins and make sure they move easily and freely.

Check the slider plates that fit into the abutment brackets and the brake pads ride on.

Check the front wheel bearing for play.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

On the old caliper the guide pins where seized (the top one). In the replacement the bothn slide in and out easy.

The slider plates are there, could there be somethings wrong with them?

And I'll check the wheel bearings, Thanks mitch.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

After a brake pad change and going to a different brand rotor (a KVR, I think) the clearance between the rotor and that brass looking slider plate was VERY close and would rub the rotor.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, I'll look into that and the bearing thing right now. I know its only the drivers side, and I think the hubs are the same for both sides correct? Cant I jsut swap then and If the noise goes to the passengers side I know its either the hub or the bearings? Thansk Mitch.
John
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The fronts are sealed "hubs".

With the car in the air, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Do a push/pull attempting to wiggle the wheel assembly.

If you see , hear or feel movement, then this whole thing could be bearing run-out.

The rotor is attached to the bearing which moves and the caliper/bracket assy is attached to the knuckle which is stationary.

When you turn, the bearing displaces, move the rotor relative to the bracket. It could be enough to make it rub.

We are really grasping at straws ... but it's something to rule out ...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, Its firm, no movement. I spun the wheel though and it felt like the brakes where dragging. It really sounds like its the pad/rotor making the noise like they arnt hitting straight or hitting to much/not enough.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

My experience was with a 93 formula. No problems until replaced all the rotors. I had a squeel under heavy turning only. I didnt pay much attention to it and I never found it before I sold it. I can tell you I think it may be the thicker rotor scraping somewhere on the caliper. It seemed to be in the back also.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to be confused, its not a squeal, more like a dull scrape. I have yet to hear a squeal (got my fingers crossed), Thanks.

john
Old 06-24-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT. Some updated Info:

The Problem:
My cars front drivers brake makes a continous scrape noise every rotation. The noise used to occur only on heavy stops and with the wheels turned a certain direction. I thought the rotors where warped, so replaced them and new pads. The noise was quieter, but now it would occur nonstop when driving, and go away under braking. I replaced the caliper, noticing the guide pins where seized to no avail.

Update:
I replaced the pads with the original pads (so original pads, new rotors) and the noise is still present, just not as loud. I regreased the caliper guide pins and torqued down the brake parts and wheel correctly. I did notice the brake pad wasnt too firm in the car, I had to pump it twice to firm it up, but then it felt fine. Could this have some effect?

So I have ruled out the pads, the rotors, the caliper, the wheel bearings felt firm, the caliper mounting bracket was swapped as well, its not believed to be at fault. I am getting desperate, it feels like I wil never be able to drive this thing....Thanks,
John
Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Have you checked clearance of wheel to other items. Hence, when the car dips on front, is it contacting something. Look and see if you can spot rubbing areas. Just a thought. Hope it helps,
Will
Old 06-24-2004, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Someone else mentioned something of the sort on CZ28.c. I'll have to go over it throughly when (if) it stops raining. Thanks for the idea Will.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question but where are the guide pins? I should check!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The caliper has 2 pins on it. They slide into the mounting bracket and allow the caliper to move in and out. When you unscre the screw to hinge the caliper, you disconnect the guide pin.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
TTT. Some updated Info:

The Problem:
My cars front drivers brake makes a continous scrape noise every rotation. The noise used to occur only on heavy stops and with the wheels turned a certain direction. I thought the rotors where warped, so replaced them and new pads. The noise was quieter, but now it would occur nonstop when driving, and go away under braking. I replaced the caliper, noticing the guide pins where seized to no avail.

Update:
I replaced the pads with the original pads (so original pads, new rotors) and the noise is still present, just not as loud. I regreased the caliper guide pins and torqued down the brake parts and wheel correctly. I did notice the brake pad wasnt too firm in the car, I had to pump it twice to firm it up, but then it felt fine. Could this have some effect?

So I have ruled out the pads, the rotors, the caliper, the wheel bearings felt firm, the caliper mounting bracket was swapped as well, its not believed to be at fault. I am getting desperate, it feels like I wil never be able to drive this thing....Thanks,
John
Did you ever figure out what the problem is. I'm haveing the same exact problem.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up switching my wheel bearings from one side to the other and the scrape noise went away, but the brakes are still loud when the car is cold. I think that might be the cheap autozone pads though, anyone agree? I also found the caliper guide pins a little dry on grease, and i greased them up good.

Quick Reply: Brake System Nigtmare: Keep Hitting Dead Ends