UMI/Afco coil-over kits - Page 4 - LS1TECH

Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI/Afco coil-over kits

Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #61
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Check out the pictures I posted earlier in the thread, it's tight. I got a lot of contact on the passenger's side. Hopefully some clamps will resolve that, but I'll need to get some pictures and call Sam to make sure I didn't damage the bar. Everything else is pretty much smooth sailing for the install.
That is insanely close man, I hope I don't run into similar issues, only thing I'm going to be running different so far than you on the back is UMI adjustable poly/roto LCA's and haven't bought sways yet so hoping for the best. I'm going to wait on rear sways until you have found an 100% permanent fix for this with it hitting.
TX98Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #62
TECH Fanatic

To UMI/Sam,

How would you guys compare this setup to a Koni Sport (SA) and Strano spring combo? Is there a big enough improvement to make a switch? A main benefit I see is corner balancing (with adj sway bar end links) and adjustable ride height (within reason to keep the car functional).

Last edited by smitty2919; 09-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.
smitty2919 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #63
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Quote:
Check out the pictures I posted earlier in the thread, it's tight. I got a lot of contact on the passenger's side. Hopefully some clamps will resolve that, but I'll need to get some pictures and call Sam to make sure I didn't damage the bar. Everything else is pretty much smooth sailing for the install.
Okay, I see them now and all looks right. The collars will help a ton, look on McMaster Carr for 7/8" collar clamps. Also take that washer off that is under the head of the bolt, that will gain a little more clearance. We tube bend here and it is a talent for sure, so there is some tolerance in a sway bar. All it takes is a 1/8" difference in a bar to make this issue worse.

On a positive note we are working on a better clearing hollow bar now and an adjustable.

I am sure you didn't hurt the bar and I think less movement will help a lot.

Thanks!
UMI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #64
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
Okay, I see them now and all looks right. The collars will help a ton, look on McMaster Carr for 7/8" collar clamps. Also take that washer off that is under the head of the bolt, that will gain a little more clearance. We tube bend here and it is a talent for sure, so there is some tolerance in a sway bar. All it takes is a 1/8" difference in a bar to make this issue worse.

On a positive note we are working on a better clearing hollow bar now and an adjustable.

Thanks!
I'm hesitant to pull the washer since my LCA is also really tight on the other side. I'll order some clamps and take some measurements to see if pulling the washer is workable too. Hopefully I can get some time under the car this week before I head off to the UK. I'll get a picture of the damage to the bar once I get under there too.
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #65
Launching!

Quote:

Thanks!
This is good news to hear, I'm more than likely going to need one also and so will others if running similar setups. How long till those bars will be in production for sale estimated? Before new years I hope, thats the deadline for my whole restoration to be done hopefully.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #66
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Quote:
I'm hesitant to pull the washer since my LCA is also really tight on the other side. I'll order some clamps and take some measurements to see if pulling the washer is workable too. Hopefully I can get some time under the car this week before I head off to the UK. I'll get a picture of the damage to the bar once I get under there too.
Get yourself a 1/2" x 2-1/4" bolt when you order the clamps and that will fix that, or zip the threads off the old bolt. We are working on including this new bolt, this is how we have to learn what brands work with each other... unfortunately.
UMI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #67
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Get yourself a 1/2" x 2-1/4" bolt when you order the clamps and that will fix that, or zip the threads off the old bolt. We are working on including this new bolt, this is how we have to learn what brands work with each other... unfortunately.
Sounds like I need to make a trip to fastenol. And I figured there would be some headaches since I jumped on these so fast! Curse of always wanting to be on the bleeding edge.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #68
LS1TECH Sponsor

I was in Nebraska racing. Just seeing this now. I don't see the pics either. But a set of collar clamps on the bar should solve the issue no problem. But it's not been a problem elsewhere to my knowledge.
Sam Strano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #69
Launching!

post #31 shows the pics
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #70
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd start with removing the washer. Another option is to rotate the bar forward a touch on the axle giving the bend more clearance.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #71
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
I'd start with removing the washer. Another option is to rotate the bar forward a touch on the axle giving the bend more clearance.
The Washers are coming out, and I'll be swinging out to fastenol to pick up some shorter bolts so I don't run into my LCAs. Clamps are also on order. I'm guessing that should fix it, if not I'll rotate the bar a bit. The real bummer is that I probably won't get another chance to beat on the car at auto-x for a while.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #72
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
The Washers are coming out, and I'll be swinging out to fastenol to pick up some shorter bolts so I don't run into my LCAs. Clamps are also on order. I'm guessing that should fix it, if not I'll rotate the bar a bit. The real bummer is that I probably won't get another chance to beat on the car at auto-x for a while.
I noticed you're running extended sway bar mounts in the back, Do you happen to have your stockers? that way the bar will be tucked up a little higher and not be so close to your bolts. I have strano bars too. I need to adjust my pinion angle tonight so I can post up pictures of my clearance after.
Cpt.Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #73
LS1TECH Sponsor

You mean the taller bushings? We supply those with the bar to clear the Watts link bolts, he has a Watts link so he won't want to remove those. I think the removal of the washer will solve the issue.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #74
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
You mean the taller bushings? We supply those with the bar to clear the Watts link bolts, he has a Watts link so he won't want to remove those. I think the removal of the washer will solve the issue.
Well I noticed taller brackets on the axle but I would assume they would/should be accompanied with the longer bushings, since that would cause clearance issues with the watts like I guess that's out of the question. I have no clearance issues with my watts.... but.... its made by a competitor...
Cpt.Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #75
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well there you go. Not all of them attach the same way. Matt has a Fays2, and that's what the deal is with the taller bushings
Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #76
12 Second Club

Just about have my install all wrapped up. Couple little issues but nothing too hard. Front is still a little high but an easy fix. Plan to test them out tonight!

Chrisingermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #77
TECH Fanatic

FYI, you got a loose nut
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #78
TECH Fanatic

I just wanted to ask this again since it may have been missed:

To UMI/Sam,

How would you guys compare this setup to a Koni Sport (SA) and Strano spring combo? Is there a big enough improvement to make a switch? A main benefit I see is corner balancing (with adj sway bar end links) and adjustable ride height (within reason to keep the car functional).
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #79
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
FYI, you got a loose nut
Don't worry I got that sucker!
Quote:

To UMI/Sam,

I am coming from Strano springs with bilstein hd shock...my little 10 min drive after everything was installed yesterday felt good. I didnt notice a huge change in feeling up front but the rear felt much more planted. I have all the settings in the middle right now so playing with that will most likely just make it feel better.
Chrisingermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #80
LS1TECH Sponsor

Quote:

To UMI/Sam,

If you are happy with the way the car works, rides, and the height it's sitting, then no there isn't a lot to be gained from what you currently have.

If you want to change the height, easily. Play with spring rates, and/or corner weight the car, well then those are 3 reasons you might make the change.

It's not a direct comparison, they are quite different and fill different places in the market. Performance wise, what you have does 90% of the job for less than 90% of the cost (and you already own it). But when you get to where you want to dot your i's and cross your t's, then you might consider the change. NOW, if were starting from scratch...

I should also remind folks that we do have these available for each end separately if you wish. I can so also do the front setup complete, and rears with just shocks and you can continue to use my rear springs. And I also stated before I'm trying to get the guys down there to finish an adapter for my front spring so we also have the option of running these dampers with springs you already have, and with front height adjustment too.