Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI/Afco coil-over kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jerry finished 6th at GoodGuys Columbus All American Sunday. The only cars ahead were Popp's in the C5, Marshall Reinert in his C5, Hoback in his C5 and Bryan Johnson in his Optima winning 5th Gen. We were pretty happy with the performance for sure.

ramey
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Jerry finished 6th at GoodGuys Columbus All American Sunday. The only cars ahead were Popp's in the C5, Marshall Reinert in his C5, Hoback in his C5 and Bryan Johnson in his Optima winning 5th Gen. We were pretty happy with the performance for sure.

ramey
I love seeing our solid axle cars hang in there!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ramey
6th is tremendous considering the difference in money spent in those cars
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I realize I swapped virtually all suspension components, but on a quick shakedown run....dayum.
Well "dayum" is something I like to hear.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

ramey
I got a ride in both of the UMI cars. They really drove the wheels off of them both. Well done!!!

Last edited by trackbird; 07-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the placement! It was good to talk to you guys. I was also trying to hold it down in my purple beast. 16th is best I could do but I was more than pleased with it. Had a couple of people surprised that it's basically stock with suspension goodies...no one believed me.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Congrats on the placement! It was good to talk to you guys. I was also trying to hold it down in my purple beast. 16th is best I could do but I was more than pleased with it. Had a couple of people surprised that it's basically stock with suspension goodies...no one believed me.
It was great to meet you and run with you, your car did very well and looked great. Hopefully next year we can do it again Ryan
Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
It was great to meet you and run with you, your car did very well and looked great. Hopefully next year we can do it again Ryan
Thank you. I would have liked to be on some Rivals like everyone else to really see where I would finish. Nitto NT555's that I daily drive on got me around the course but I was squealing like a pig.

I wish I was able to get a ride but I was right behind you guys in order to run.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the middle of replacing my front Bilsteins with Koni SA right now. Wish I saw these before I ordered the Konis earlier this year. Nice work guys, they look great.

Question about the front setup - since the stock strut mount goes away along with the 4 bolts, how does that top stock mount fit bolt in?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We include a Mount that bolts up through the factory shock tower that converts it from a stud mount to a double sheer bearing mount.

You can see the black mount in the picture .
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white01ss
In the middle of replacing my front Bilsteins with Koni SA right now. Wish I saw these before I ordered the Konis earlier this year. Nice work guys, they look great.

Question about the front setup - since the stock strut mount goes away along with the 4 bolts, how does that top stock mount fit bolt in?
The washers in the bottom right of UMI's picture are beefier than they look, they actually sandwich the upper mount and you torque it all together.

here is a potato quality picture of them assembled (obviously not sandwiching the control arm yet:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see now. And the bolt that holds it on sticks out into that cone shaped area where the tip of the shock rod used to extend into.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

The washers in the bottom right of UMI's picture are beefier than they look, they actually sandwich the upper mount and you torque it all together.

here is a potato quality picture of them assembled (obviously not sandwiching the control arm yet:
Thanks for the Photo to explain the mounting procedure!!

Let us know how they work after you get them installed.

Craig
Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Thanks for the Photo to explain the mounting procedure!!

Let us know how they work after you get them installed.

Craig
Oh they're already installed I'm still doing a bunch of adjustments, took some time off of work to ride my bicycle though so it'll probably be a little while.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by white01ss
I see now. And the bolt that holds it on sticks out into that cone shaped area where the tip of the shock rod used to extend into.

That's correct. You remove the rubber "insert" from the top of the plate that holds the upper control arm in place and bolt the adapters (shown in the previous pic) through the hole and the nut and end of the bolt fit up inside the hole where the end of the factory shock stud used to go.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got out for a test and tune today, the car felt much much much much better than it ever did with the stock junk. That being said, I'm stilling getting contact with my strano rear sway and the bottom shock mounting bolt we recentered it in the parking lot, but it went right back to problematic again. Might have to go back to the stock bar to get clearance back.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got out for a test and tune today, the car felt much much much much better than it ever did with the stock junk. That being said, I'm stilling getting contact with my strano rear sway and the bottom shock mounting bolt we recentered it in the parking lot, but it went right back to problematic again. Might have to go back to the stock bar to get clearance back.
We were able to get the rear kit to clear with the Strano rear bar. I am not sure how you have yours mounted but here is what we did.

1. The shocks need to be installed right side up, the adjuster at the top and not at the bottom. Our instructions suggest at the bottom and the shock being upside down but this doesn't work with all bars.

2. Make sure the bolt that mounts the shock to the lower bracket has the head facing the sway bar and not the nut side.

3. Lastly, we use collar clamps to prevent any side to side movement of the sway bar. We mount them on each side of the sway bar bushings and this prevents the bar from walking side to side.

Does any of this help?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We were able to get the rear kit to clear with the Strano rear bar. I am not sure how you have yours mounted but here is what we did.

1. The shocks need to be installed right side up, the adjuster at the top and not at the bottom. Our instructions suggest at the bottom and the shock being upside down but this doesn't work with all bars.

Already done

2. Make sure the bolt that mounts the shock to the lower bracket has the head facing the sway bar and not the nut side.

Already done

3. Lastly, we use collar clamps to prevent any side to side movement of the sway bar. We mount them on each side of the sway bar bushings and this prevents the bar from walking side to side.

Haven't thought of that I'll have to give it a shot

Does any of this help?
Responses inline. I also have some pictures of my clearances earlier in the thread it seems to shift a little, but the clamps should resolve that I guess. FWIW: this is on an MWC FAB9 so it probably isn't the exact configuration you guys are running, although I wouldn't expect that to matter.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Launching!

I just bought the UMI Strano Afco coil overs and also I'm running a MWC Fab 9 with watts link so I will be picking your brain blackandgold as much as possible when it comes to set up and tuning. I'm curious how close my clearance will be in the back and with the Strano bar or not with the Strano bar (I need to order both those from Sam).
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out the pictures I posted earlier in the thread, it's tight. I got a lot of contact on the passenger's side. Hopefully some clamps will resolve that, but I'll need to get some pictures and call Sam to make sure I didn't damage the bar. Everything else is pretty much smooth sailing for the install.

Quick Reply: UMI/Afco coil-over kits