Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Viking vs. QA1 coilover for street

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
@OP figure out what you want the car for, then buy something you can afford because anything replacing stock stuff will be much better .
Fixed for generalization that will apply to 80% of the people swapping out to new suspension.

IMO there is nothing worse than modifying a car with no "goals" in mind. It's money down the drain. Having a plan for better handling/better ride quality/better drag car is the start. Then you research and modify the car accordingly to get you to your goals that fits your budget.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That sounds more like a band-aid to the issue of not being a gas charged shock. Also I think people need to remember that adjusting compression and rebound is not the same as a full revalve. I don't think cranking up the stiffness on a viking shock and slapping some 600lb/in springs on them isn't going to be the same as fine tuning the valve shape, adjusting the shim stack or whatever depending how the internals are set up.
That's why I pointed out the difference in the 2 lines of shocks. I think a lot of what is being compared here are the Warrior series being paired with a more aggressive spring and the adjustments being run tighter. The Crusaders are a complete custom revalve for your application. May not be on the level of a high end Penske or Afco, but they are a good step in the right direction at an entry level price

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a strano/ koni setup on the car and don't like the stance. I did not get the drop on the front that I expected. I am just looking for the adjustability of the coil over to get the stance that I want. Viking and QA1 seem to be the most affordable/popular. I have QA1 coilovers on my 67 camaro twin turbo drag/street car. I only wanted opinions on what is available. I have a set of QA1 with a 325 spring and a set of Viking with a 350 spring that should arrive tomorrow. I only want to use 1 set and the other will be returned. Just looking for opinions on which coilover may be better.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You know you could have sleeved the front Koni shocks and turned them into coil-overs for way less than buying QA1 or Viking shocks, right? You would also get to keep your great ride and handling.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the car with your strano springs on the lower perch? If you already have strano/koni, I don't see a reason to change.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
My point is OP is not some bad *** autocross guy who's going to even notice the difference between a super high end coilover vs. the Viking setup.
You are wrong again.
This is the typical drag guy response, they all think that the differences will only be seen when driving at the limit, but I can't blame them because they have nothing to compare to.
You will notice a difference in pretty much all situations while the car is moving, on the street or on a track, driving like a grandma or like a madman, the car will still feel different and behave differently.
The Viking setup is going to do everything the OP wants, period. He wants a coilover and wants ride height adjustability. The last time I checked, the Vikings offer that, and do so at a very good price-point.
I don't disagree with you here. However he could have the car riding and all around feeling much better with a good shock and spring combo.

It sounds to me like the OP wants something that's better than what he has (stock ****), and again, the Viking coilover setup is going to be WAY better than stock ****. I went from stock **** to the Viking setup, and I couldn't be happier. From experience, when the settings are setup for spirited street driving, the Vikings deliver. You guys get way too caught up in what 99% of us will never experience or do with our cars. Are there other setups out there that are better for the 1% out there who are competitive autocross drivers, yes. Will the other 99% be happy with the Viking coilover setup for their street car, yes.
For those who have nothing else to compare to, yes they will be naively happy, just like the guys driving the V6 fbodies thinking that they are "plenty fast" without ever experiencing the V8.
Even if I never planned on auto-xing I would still be buying Koni SA's (or a even higher end shock) because they make the car drive SO good, and feel like a BMW. I don't see the point in spending the money on drag shocks to have the car drive and feel poorly in comparison unless I was going for absolutely every last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile on a single digit car, as konis have been 1.5 second 60fts and im sure could go better if they tried.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Just going to put this out there, but Viking's products for every other platform except F-body and s197 Mustang are more successful and popular in road racing/autocross applications than drag racing.
Sure because the fbody and mustang have a large enough aftermarket that they get good shocks, while the other less popular muscle cars don't have anything else for handling unless they want to spend big money on something totally custom, so they settle with something like the vikings just like they did with QA1s when they were the flavor of the month.
Im not knocking vikings at all here, Im just calling a duck a duck when I see one.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well all that being said id like to try those handling setups out. For comparison sake.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ let me know if you're up in the Omaha area, I'm a crap driver, but happy to take you out on the umi/strano coilovers.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also for those running Vikings on the streets I'm curious what your alignment specs are?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
You know you could have sleeved the front Koni shocks and turned them into coil-overs for way less than buying QA1 or Viking shocks, right? You would also get to keep your great ride and handling.
Man makes a good point.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing this out there for you street guys....

I'm currently working on some Afco/UMI valved Monotube gas charged non adj. shocks.

Hopefully after testing is complete we will have a gas charged, affordable shock that can be used as coil-overs(with our brackets) or just superior street shocks.

Craig
Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Jeff Morgan with the exact setup as him and don't like the front end height of the Strano's. Before I drop $600 on front coil overs, can you explain more on this and share the products available for turning a Koni into a front coil over?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ground control coilover conversion kit. You get to keep your nice konis and add adjustability and you get to specify your spring rate all for about $400. I can't post a link since they aren't a sponsor.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ground control coilover conversion kit. You get to keep your nice konis and add adjustability and you get to specify your spring rate all for about $400. I can't post a link since they aren't a sponsor.
Ok, I'll check into them. Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You can do it for a lot less using common circle track parts. Have to see if I can find a parts list.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can do it for a lot less using common circle track parts. Have to see if I can find a parts list.
That'd be great, thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viking coilovers installed. Got the ride height and ride I wanted.

Quick Reply: Viking vs. QA1 coilover for street