Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Would a tranny mounted torque arm be okay in my case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a tranny mounted torque arm be okay in my case?

So I recently got my 2000 Camaro Z/28 M6 completely refreshed. Engine rebuild, cam, new clutch, poly engine & Trans mounts, Longtube headers & O/R y-pipe, new rear diff fluid, new tires , and I've got subframe connectors, LCA's, an adjustable panhard, sways, and a front strut tower bar. About 400whp now.

Okay that was a mouth full. Now to the question: I daily drive my Camaro and I don't run in on radials, don't really go to the drag strip, and don't red line clutch drop it. I have ZR1 replica wheels so my rear tires are Nitto NT-555 G2's 315/35ZR17. I'm also lowered with Vogtland sprigs do about a 1.25" drop. I was going to get a tranny mounted adjustable torque arm because my tuner/builder says that tunnel mounted ones are awful for clearance and that someone like me doesn't need such a hardcore setup. Of course one of my other f-body buds is worried about me cracking the rear tail shaft. Apparently this is a real problem but even trying to look that up on this site I didn't exactly see many cases of it happening. And his tunnel mounted one actually left a dent through the rear floor when he hit a bump once, so that made me suspicious of a relocation kit too.

Someone told me that since I have poly engine & Trans mounts I'm fine with using a tranny mounted torque arm since everything back there is solid and won't flex. Also, it seems that most of those tranny cracks happen at drag strips and when guys are really hammering on the whole drivetrain, which I don't do.

So am I okay with a tranny mounted torque arm?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

The real problem is the rear rubber tranny mount breaking which will allow the tail on the trans to pull upward on acceleration. Anything you do to "upgrade" will increase cabin noise. Some more than others. Most tunnel mount TQ arms usually have clearance issues on lowered cars. I'd suggest taking a look at BMR, Spohn or UMI long TQ arms with relocation kit. They will be more noisey but will get the TQ arm off the tailshaft which is a good thing.
Other choice you are looking at basically putting in poly mounts on trans in place of the rubber ones. It will make it stronger but not as much as getting the arm off the transmission.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

I already have poly Trans mounts, but thanks for the info!
I don't really care about noise too much either if I'm being honest. These F-bodies are race cars, not Cadillacs.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap as posted- check out the full length torque arms that use the transmission crossmember as the mounting point
Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the first things I recommend to anyone, even with stock power, is to get that arm off the tailshaft. I have personally ripped those mounts in half and pulled the treads out of my tailshaft housing. This was on a basic bolt on car and had the torque arm slap the driveshaft tunnel (this was on street tires launching at about 3000 rpm on the track) when it happened.
I would go with either a relocation transmission crossmember like our TCC006 or a tunnel mounted toque arm like our TA012.
Our tunnel mount does not have the same problems commonly associated with tunnel mounted setups, as our crossmember goes above the exhaust and uses a full size bushing to isolate vibration and noise. It also offers a full range of adjustability
Name:  _MG_5225_zps06812bed.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  59.5 KB

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Like stated above if you're going with an aftermarket TA get it off of the tail shaft of the trans. The stock one flexes just enough not to typically hurt the tail shaft, but the aftermarket ones are typically way stronger and don't flex, which transfers all that force directly onto the tail shaft. I learned that hard lesson years ago on the dyno. Whichever one you go with get it off the tail shaft.

--Alan

Quick Reply: Would a tranny mounted torque arm be okay in my case?