Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Smaller Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smaller Brake Booster

Is there smaller brake booster by chance? Just looking to clean up the engine bay and don't want to got to manual brakes. Just curious if one exists.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone? I can't be the only person to ask about this? Ha
Old 07-17-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I you can swing it I recommend upgrading from a vacuum booster to a hydroboost unit. I swapped a hydroboost unit from a wrecked 02 F250 PSD into my 03 Lightning and I have been extremely happy with it. One of the best mods I've done for my L. Granted my 02 SS doesn't exhibit the pulsing under heavy braking that my L had during emergence stops but IMO Hydroboost booster are just better (just costlier) than vacuum boosters which is why as the 3/4 ton diesels use it. They are also excellent on large cammed cars as they are ran off your power steering pump instead of vacuum pressures. Another plus is that they make changing your powersteering fluid easy as cake without burning up your pump.

For a budget swap you can use one out of a 96-04 V8 Mustang (IDK if the v6 Mustangs from those years had hydroboost but the V8 models need them to fit a Modular motor in the engine bay) BTW the big three does not manufactor their own units they buy them from a company that invented them from my understanding.

If you don't want to fab up your own you can buy a built kit from here:
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/brakeunits.html
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am after functional and to get rid of that big balloon in the engine bay. ha
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Spade
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am after functional and to get rid of that big balloon in the engine bay. ha
You are very welcome. Here is link link to someone who fabbed up their own until in a 3.4L Fbody. He seems very satisfied with it.
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...ght=hydroboost

Here a link to how I fabbing up the setup on my L.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...droboost-route

IMHO hydroboost is an excellent upgrade that improves everything braking wise including freeing up room under the hood. The only negative that I've experienced with it is the cost to upgrade to it. Fabbing up your own kit will likely be less costly, but a HydroTech kit will be better/cleaner looking while also being simpler as everything to install it is included and it take the custom fab work out of it. Both should perform the same.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I just set up a 56 bel air with fcar brakes with no pedal assist. I put a 7/8 wilwood master on it and the motion ratio on the pedal is stock 56 bel air. The brakes feel great on it. If anything for a high performance car i would maybe jump up a size on the master.

Quick Reply: Smaller Brake Booster