Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear sway bar / anti roll - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear sway bar / anti roll - which one?

I have a 2000 SS A4. Right now the car has an unknown red lowering spring in it, as well as the factory bilstiens. It's a stock motor bolt on car. Fast 78 / fast 78 TB, long tubes, SLP LM1 exhaust, 3600 stall, 3.90's, and 315/30/18 Mickey Thompson drag radials. i installed bmr recloation brackets on the rear end, and that helped tremendously in getting the car consistently hooking up well. Right now it's doing 1.66 60' every time. Running high 7.70's in the 1/8, and 12.10 in the 1/4 @ 111. Now all I'm doing with the car is a low hp ET bracket racer, driving to the track, and running sportsman class 7.50 1/8 mile class. So it's not a rocket ship, and doesn't need to be. But on the 18's it's right on the edge of hooking or not. Running 16psi in the tires. Our track prep here in Portland is slightly less than desirable.

Now I'm ready to order a handful of pieces for the rear end of the car. I'm going with the hooker true dual setup for exhaust. I plan on the Midwest tunnel mount torque arm, Midwest poly / poly adjustable arms, Midwest poly / poly adjustable panhard, and some sort of a rear seat bar upgrade. The car is a 100k mile 2000 SS, so it's already got a few rattles, and I know it's going to make some noise, and loose some ride quality with all of these pieces, and that doesn't bother me too much, but I want to get the correct rear bar / anti roll for what I'm doing.

What I'm looking at is the Midwest chassis anti roll, the bmr anti roll, the umi anti roll, or just the standard upgrade bmr rear sway bar. Money isn't the issue, and ride isn't life or death as the car only drives back and fourth to the track, maybe 10-15 miles, a couple times a month.

Looking for the best bar I can get for what im doing.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For a drag car the anti-rollbar is the way to go. Have you already removed your front sway or do you at least disconnect an end link before you make a pass?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My recommendation will depend on how far you plan on going with the car in the future. If you plan on pushing it and going into the single digit range, then I would go ahead with our XSB001/XSB002 xtreme anti-roll bar. Out of the ones listed, ours is the most street friendly and has no concentration points that will break like a standard lever arm style bar. It also offers less noise and vibration transference. Our bar is also 100% bolt in.

If you plan on keeping it more simple, and don't expect to run faster than the 11-10 second range, I would stick with our standard upgrade swaybar SB003

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
My recommendation will depend on how far you plan on going with the car in the future. If you plan on pushing it and going into the single digit range, then I would go ahead with our XSB001/XSB002 xtreme anti-roll bar. Out of the ones listed, ours is the most street friendly and has no concentration points that will break like a standard lever arm style bar. It also offers less noise and vibration transference. Our bar is also 100% bolt in.

If you plan on keeping it more simple, and don't expect to run faster than the 11-10 second range, I would stick with our standard upgrade swaybar SB003
Yeah it will be a low hp bracket car for atleast the next 5 years. High 1.5 60's at best. Plans are to lighten the car up a bit, and doing the k member and arms and what not, but not going to get a t-brake or anything over 4000 stall at any point.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MWC anti roll bar is what I bought. Very nice built and very light.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Im running the Midwest Chassis also. I do not like the bent bar stock style because they are heavy. I've spent considerable time and money lightening my car and do not desire to put something heavier then necessary on it. After careful consideration the TRZ and midwest bar were the two that got my attention. Midwest made me a good deal so I went with them.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie6178
I have a 2000 SS A4. Right now the car has an unknown red lowering spring in it, as well as the factory bilstiens. It's a stock motor bolt on car. Fast 78 / fast 78 TB, long tubes, SLP LM1 exhaust, 3600 stall, 3.90's, and 315/30/18 Mickey Thompson drag radials. i installed bmr recloation brackets on the rear end, and that helped tremendously in getting the car consistently hooking up well. Right now it's doing 1.66 60' every time. Running high 7.70's in the 1/8, and 12.10 in the 1/4 @ 111. Now all I'm doing with the car is a low hp ET bracket racer, driving to the track, and running sportsman class 7.50 1/8 mile class. So it's not a rocket ship, and doesn't need to be. But on the 18's it's right on the edge of hooking or not. Running 16psi in the tires. Our track prep here in Portland is slightly less than desirable.

Now I'm ready to order a handful of pieces for the rear end of the car. I'm going with the hooker true dual setup for exhaust. I plan on the Midwest tunnel mount torque arm, Midwest poly / poly adjustable arms, Midwest poly / poly adjustable panhard, and some sort of a rear seat bar upgrade. The car is a 100k mile 2000 SS, so it's already got a few rattles, and I know it's going to make some noise, and loose some ride quality with all of these pieces, and that doesn't bother me too much, but I want to get the correct rear bar / anti roll for what I'm doing.

What I'm looking at is the Midwest chassis anti roll, the bmr anti roll, the umi anti roll, or just the standard upgrade bmr rear sway bar. Money isn't the issue, and ride isn't life or death as the car only drives back and fourth to the track, maybe 10-15 miles, a couple times a month.

Looking for the best bar I can get for what im doing.
Sounds like you are on the right track on some of your items. Like others have mentioned our Anti Roll Bar is a very light item and does not give you shock clearance issues some aftermarket sway bars do.

Give us a call if you already haven't and we can set you up nicely.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar / anti roll - which one?