Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Releases New Product: Competition Coilover Kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default UMI Releases New Product: Competition Coilover Kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird

Here's the official release on the new UMI-Strano-Afco coilovers....

Front & Rear Competition Coilover kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird
P/N- 20-600200T Full kit priced at $1,849.99
P/N- 2053-600T Front kit priced at $929.99
P/N- 2054-200 Rear kit priced at $929.99

UMI Performance, Inc. is proud to release our 4th Gen F-body competition coilover package. Developed in conjunction with Sam Strano (14x national SCCA auto-x champion), the Afco built dampers are intended to provide race winning performance in auto-x and road race while still providing an awesome street ride. The baseline package includes aluminum monotube rebound adjustable dampers with a properly tuned fixed compression valve code. The 40-position digressive rebound curve is designed for competition body and weight transfer control. The front dampers include Speedthane bump stops and the rear uses an optional progressive bump stop. Springs are Hypercoils with rates of 600 lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear. These rates in conjunction with available 35mm/22mm sway bars provide a balanced, race worthy package. UMI’s battle tested a-arms and coilover brackets utilize the racing standard ½” double shear mounts and are race-proven for three seasons now under punishing conditions. Ride height adjustment range is stock to 2-1/2” lowering. Every part of this competition proven package is 100% Made In USA.

####

Website Link Here

Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a fantastic kit. Excellent attention to detail and top quality parts. I've been extremely happy with this package on my personal car. If you're looking for improved handling performance, this kit is worthy of serious consideration.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome! I am tempted to just buy and ask questions later, however, I was curious as to what this kit offers over the koni/ Eibach (LT1 rates of 600/160 I believe) set up. I know adjustablity is one pro but what else can I expect this kit to be superior in?

I am already running UMI's A-arms, Sway bar, torque arm, trans cross member, relocation brackets, and rear control arms. SFC are SLP's 3 point weld in.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trackbird
This is a fantastic kit. Excellent attention to detail and top quality parts. I've been extremely happy with this package on my personal car. If you're looking for improved handling performance, this kit is worthy of serious consideration.
Kevin, I am very anxious to see your car out on track some day

Originally Posted by nwilson44
This is awesome! I am tempted to just buy and ask questions later, however, I was curious as to what this kit offers over the koni/ Eibach (LT1 rates of 600/160 I believe) set up. I know adjustablity is one pro but what else can I expect this kit to be superior in?

I am already running UMI's A-arms, Sway bar, torque arm, trans cross member, relocation brackets, and rear control arms. SFC are SLP's 3 point weld in.
This kit is definitely different in a few ways. One, like you mentioned is the adjustment. You have the ability to set ride height now as well as corner balance the car. The rebound adjustment range is also much wider and a little different, the rebound curve matches what we wanted rather than an off the shelf shock. The Koni's are awesome, Sam Strano has proven that with many wins on them. We have taken that and enhanced on it. This kit also offers easy spring rate changes, the rates aren't working like you want or want to try something different? The springs in these kits are standard 2.5" ID springs and can be changed easily. Our build shop is full of springs that we try, change ect. All shocks are mounted bearing to bearing, this means no rubber deflection or shock bind. The front shock eliminates the upper rubber shock mount and replaces it with a bearing.

Please let us know if we can help help anymore and we are glad to.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Kevin, I am very anxious to see your car out on track some day
Me too. The car is really amazing. The transformation has been remarkable. I need to get out and have some fun with it.

My last car had Koni DAs and 600/150 springs (H&R fronts, adjustable rears). This kit has some real advantages. You gain the flexibility to adjust ride height instead of trying to pick springs that get you the height and spring rates you want/need and since every car seems a bit different, this will allow you to make corrections (and corner weight the car if you want to put it on a set of scales). You can also assemble these without needing spring compressors, so there's a good bit of added safety for the installer. No need to compress springs and hope nothing breaks (compressed springs are quite dangerous). You don't reuse the rubber upper front mount...it's always rusted to the shock anyway. You can just remove the old shocks and springs and drop this kit in place. No headaches with replacing parts or grinding rusted bolts free.

My feeling is that these shocks have better low speed damping than the Koni shocks. Sam and UMI have done a great job on the shock valving and the kit is so pretty I feel like it should be mounted on the wall. I think you'll be very pleased with this kit.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. I am very interested, and may have to do the rear first then the front. my rear shocks are done completely (I only have the koni's up front, and love the way they feel). Once I get those crappy worn monroe's off the back, then I can go back up front and sell my koni-eibach set up. I am hoping for improved road feel, even further reduced body roll, and just a more solid feeling car all around. That would justify it for me. Adj rid height is cool but if I am honest, I am not going to mess with that often. I will have it set and forget about it lol
Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. I am very interested, and may have to do the rear first then the front. my rear shocks are done completely (I only have the koni's up front, and love the way they feel). Once I get those crappy worn monroe's off the back, then I can go back up front and sell my koni-eibach set up. I am hoping for improved road feel, even further reduced body roll, and just a more solid feeling car all around. That would justify it for me. Adj rid height is cool but if I am honest, I am not going to mess with that often. I will have it set and forget about it lol
You won't believe the difference it will make when you swap out those old shocks for a set of these. You'll be amazed. As for the ride height, I set it and forgot it. I don't expect to change height often (or ever) once the car is setup. It's just nice to be able to put it anywhere you want it.

Last edited by trackbird; 08-25-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll echo trackbird I'm extremely happy with the coilovers. Build quality seemed on par with the ohlins I was running on my s2000 and getting rid of that rubber mount up front is a huge bonus.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Great to hear guys
Old 08-30-2016, 06:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'll echo trackbird I'm extremely happy with the coilovers. Build quality seemed on par with the ohlins I was running on my s2000 and getting rid of that rubber mount up front is a huge bonus.
I wasn't messing around when I wanted certain things on these shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

I have been trying to decide if I should get the UMI competition coilovers or if I should just run the tried and true koni sa/strano combo and I think I just found my answer. Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyBird2000
I have been trying to decide if I should get the UMI competition coilovers or if I should just run the tried and true koni sa/strano combo and I think I just found my answer. Thanks guys!
Depends on whether you want to vaporize Sam or not!!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I wasn't messing around when I wanted certain things on these shocks.
It's a job well done. When I originally talked to UMI about this kit I really wasn't all that interested until I found out that you tuned them (I have "trust issues" with the quality of the tuning/valving on random coilover kits). I had no doubts I'd be pleased with them at that point. And I haven't been disappointed.

Sam and UMI really have done a fantastic job on this package. I highly recommend it. And it's proven to be "wife friendly" (no clunks, no noise, nothing uncivilized....my wife threatened me if I did anything to "ruin" this car by making it noisy and turning it into a race car).
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Definitely on my list of future mods - to accompany the other UMI parts already on my car!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trackbird
Sam and UMI really have done a fantastic job on this package. I highly recommend it. And it's proven to be "wife friendly" (no clunks, no noise, nothing uncivilized....my wife threatened me if I did anything to "ruin" this car by making it noisy and turning it into a race car).
Wife friendly was very important when designing this kit
Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Well this might be a good time to point out that I've asked Ryan and the gang to work on adapters to use my springs on the Afco dampers in front and running non-adjustable, but proven to work height in the rear. This would save money as it's less parts involved.

Of course the option remains to switch them over to full coil-over later if you wish.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

First drive with the front kit on and can I say wow. My old KYB struts with a spring from summit (PO put it on, no idea what spring rate) have nothing compared to these. They are so firm yet not harsh at all on the street! Now time to save up for some rears.

Quick Reply: UMI Releases New Product: Competition Coilover Kit for the 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird